• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ginga Kikōtai Majestic Prince (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrisisXVII

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
So far I've watched two episodes of Majestic Prince, and apologies to fans but I found this show really poor: characters, comedy, design, storyline, battles, they all fell kind of flat to me. It doesn't even stray into the area of 'so bad it's good' it just felt bad to me and I think it'd serve itself better if it was a parody of the mecha genre so people laugh with the writers instead of at them.

Recently I was pretty critical of Valrave but I gave it a chance because I felt it had a nugget of potential buried within it. I just can't see the same in Majestic Prince. Even saying that, I might still catch a few more episodes, though I'm not holding out on it suddenly displaying a spark of genius.

trilaan wrote:
I don't understand all the character design dislike flowing around this one. Can anyone explain, in detail, why they don't like it?

I think one of the major things that irritates me about the design is the lack of a well defined nose on some of the characters, instead they seem to be happy to let minimal shadowing do the work defining facial features and it ends up looking a bit off to me, like an unintentional chibi face.

Another thing is the clothing of the characters, their leisure wear is futuristic but doesn't really stand out or say anything about their personality, and I find their combat spacesuits very dull with not much going on except a coloured band across the chest.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay, that's fair enough. I hope this thread isn't left to die because the show's unpopular.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
casualfan wrote:
Nice first episode. I like the action sequences but the character design takes some getting used to. I like the mecha design too, and the whole DNA concept, which neatly gives the supernatural edge to the characters. Basically even though they lack the skills and experience, they make it up with their amazing genes or something like that.

This is definitely a super robot type of show where getting fired up equals ultimate victory. Definitely not the serious real robot type like Gundam.

Agreed, surprisingly really enjoyed the first two eps.

I think this'll be quite enjoyable overall. I also really especially like the "team" aspect, I hope they continue to play this aspect up.

trilaan wrote:
I don't understand all the character design dislike flowing around this one. Can anyone explain, in detail, why they don't like it? Feel free to message me, if you don't want to reply here. I really would like to know. I think they are good and different from most others I have seen and I've liked them since 2001 when I watched S-cry-ed. Later I saw Infinite Ryvius(1999) and still liked them.

Same here, while I haven't been big on the distracting lines under the eyes thing that they've done with some of his more recent shows, I've generally liked his designs, and he seems to have gone back to his S-cry-ed, Heroic Age, Infinite Ryvius etc. smooth style here and regained some of the various shapes and sizes for the characters/faces which generally seems to come up as one of the main complaints of his starting with Seed (probably at least partially due to the massive cast of characters?). I think this aspect could also be why some have said his designs here have an older feel to them since it's been a while since those older shows of his.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I just think the character designs feel a little dated, a bit too classical. I can't really give specifics though, but I it ain't show breaking.

As for why they were chosen. Well one theory I hear from some is that spoiler[they were meant to be martyrs, that they were meant to die. In my opinion the guy with the visor has acted rather strange to them succeeding like they did, as if they were not meant to get attention like they have]. Although I can't quite see a reason yet.

spoiler[I think you're right that they were not meant to get attention like they have but actually I'd say the opposite of Simon, the guy with the visor, he smiled when they did the impossible so I think he was pleased.]
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
There we go, the reason the main characters were chosen was explained in episode 3, now those wondering why have an answer.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this one. It's not super serious, but it is amusing. It seems like it's somewhere between slice of life and mecha in its atmosphere.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Kind of pisses me off for the characters that they would take such flak when fault largely lies in the fact they were unprepared due to it being stunt for the public, and are still largely unfamiliar with controlling their mecha. And along with that they were attacked by enemy units that they are unknown and powerful. Which just further demonstrates the issues of command as it looks like thespoiler[ kids will probably be blamed for this mission despite it being pretty obvious command doesn't know what it is doing.]

They were apparently chosen because they spoiler[have high survival instincts]? That just does not seem right to me, spoiler[survival instinct is pretty uncontrollable unless they had proper training. It makes it seem more like they were expected to run]. And they expected the group to be okay with a spoiler[short "vacation]", if anything it would probably have made them more stressed. The people in charge seem to be forgetting that they are dealing with teenagers.

I was kinda reminded earlier that their situation reminds me of Spartans from the Hal franchise, not sure if I mentioned in a while that I am a big fan of that. Even thinking of the team layout reminds me of Blue team, which consisted of the leader John who is in a word a hero, Linda the sniper, Linda who is almost impossibly fast (referred to as teams rabbit), Fredrick who is well rounded and often uses a blade. And I could do the fifth place for Kurt for the ability to see traps. Yes I am a Halo nerd.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:05 am Reply with quote
So they've spoiler[been genetically engineered and had their memories wiped . . . what? If they were supposed to be super-soldiers, then why weren't they properly trained for the Juria System and their Mecha?]
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42 I think the plot is being improved as they go. It's the best defense I can come up with for this show.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
While it is nice that an explanation was given for why they were specifically chosen, it just raises more questions than it answers. It's no use trying to improve a story if you simply create further plot holes doing so.

However, it is early days, so maybe we'll learn more about their pasts and training in future episodes. I sure hope so.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually meant to say "improv'd" not "improved," as in: "they are just making it up as they go."
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Ah, well. Yes, it definitely looks like they are making it up as they go.

The Rabbits' memory loss and genetic engineering were introduced to the audience in a really odd and unnatural way. The information was just thrown out there and seemed out of place with what we'd been shown before, which is that these five were just ordinary losers. They didn't act like they had their memories erased, but then suddenly the non-annoying girl just starts talking about it. Sure, the characters already knew, but that just means they should have been acting like they knew. It's like in the first two episodes there was nothing wrong with them - apart from being losers - and then all of a sudden they're busy moping as if a switch had been turned on.

And ugh, I was rolling my eyes at the old "incompetent senior officer" trope being used.

It was pointed out in the Preview Guide that the show had a low or only middling budget. It looks okay, sure (although the battles are a bit too glowy-CG). But with the amount of times we've seen the battle footage replayed over and over, and the number of close-up reaction shots, I have to agree that whatever the budget is it's being stretched quite noticeably.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
They didn't act like they had their memories erased, but then suddenly the non-annoying girl just starts talking about it.

For a brief moment, when they were playing house: the anime seemed much better. It was serious enough at that moment to make her a likable character.

dtm42 wrote:
And ugh, I was rolling my eyes at the old "incompetent senior officer" trope being used.

He responded to (insert name of head guy with scar over eye) not being on their ship as if that guy's job is only to raise the kids. Is that just because this guy is an idiot, or is he actually of similar rank (albeit in a different organization) as that guy? I had taken the head of the "school" to be pretty highly ranked.

dtm42 wrote:
But with the amount of times we've seen the battle footage replayed over and over, and the number of close-up reaction shots, I have to agree that whatever the budget is it's being stretched quite noticeably.

At least it is frequently being worked into the scenes just to make that one character suffer (I'm not attached enough to this anime to even know names). Despite being a by-product of a low budget, it has become a running gag. Big budget animes with transformation scenes do overuse those a lot, though. The character will be beat up and it'll be the middle of the night and when the transformation scene occurs: he/she is completely clean and it's super bright.
casualfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote
After seeing episode 2, i think it's kind of clear that this is a fun light-hearted type of show. Rather than politics, it's more about character building and some comedy. The press conference was quite funny. I think that if you watch it for what it is this show is quite enjoyable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I liked this episode, it started off with spoiler[backstory of Rin so we could get into her frame of mind], practically made me forget what was happening when the previous episode left off. This made it so more jarring when we were suddenly thrown back into spoiler[the Majestic Princes in a losing battle, and possibly have a little understanding about their instructor, the pain on her face a little evidence of that also.]

Come on, it was pretty cool when Izuru despite the bleak situation managed to spoiler[protect Tamaki by detaching a part of his mecha, and then protecting Kei by jumping in the way]. But that commander guy, what an asshole, spoiler[statements actually weakened them]. It was hard to watch as Rin was arguing for spoiler[a retreat, and the fool told them not to do so], I actually got some tears later when she was recalling spoiler[possibly abandoning Izuru].

In contrast to the spoiler[Rin's] backstory, we also had the Majestic Princes' lack of backstory highlighted, the usually joking Ataru's comments of spoiler[once being a baby that someone patted] definitely sad. Actually now that I think about it, these characters may have issues related to their past (lack of): lack of a mother or father figure, deep anxiety from feeling alone, desire to protect others, and I am not sure what Kei's problem is but I know she likes cooking.

And I just figured out that the white haired princess character spoiler[is actually on the opposing side], which makes her concerns about the spoiler[other side not understanding their point of view as they are], a good addition.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
They finally did a better job of fully explaining the backstories now. Before it seemed like they kept switching between things, but they were just giving incomplete information.

I love Rin-rin and the heiress isn't bad either. When the gunophile started on his "dream of being a baby" speech, I thought he was just going to say something characteristically stupid...that was actually decently solemn.

After that conversation, the leader's teammates essentially silently agreed that he's a hero, which is a nice change from just calling him stupid.

Finding out what the opposing side looks like was also interesting. Wonder if Gargantia will take a similar approach.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6