• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As I remember it, no one immediately knew or guessed that revelation as the show was airing. The idea did develop after a few more episodes once the pattern was noticed, but it wasn't instant. Had you known about before going in, in any capacity whatsoever?

I watched it while it was airing and figured it out immediately. spoiler[I work in nursing so maybe that makes me a little more in-tune to this type of thing. Things were way to critical and urgent for him to just recover suddenly. This isn't some shonen action series where characters can be back in fighting form in a few hours. Plus the way people regarded her and not him with so much concern pretty much clenched it.]

But the twist did nothing but piss me off. spoiler[It's a show about a quake, how hard is it to drop something on a little boy? Nope, we're going to give him some sort of unnamed deadly ailment completely unrelated to the quake. Killing him wasn't an issue, but doing it in such a random way completely ruined the series for me. Seriously, pre-death I would have given it an A, but post death it became a generous C. I was so angry at the writers for using such a cheap trick to keep the drama going that it killed my interest in the series. Since everything in the second half revolved around that awfully written death I could stay interested.]

This would have been an amazing movie or short OAV series, but the writers clearly ran out of idea on how to keep the TV series going for 11 episodes.

Emerje

spoiler[He got hit by debris when Tokyo Tower fell. Doesn't seem important at first(I didn't catch it the first time, either), but go back and watch it again.]
mckg1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a great anime to check out ! Smile
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:19 am Reply with quote
A truly heartbreaking series that made me a crying mess. Luci Christian and Tiffany Grant were excellent. 2013 is already shaping into an impressive year for Luci Christian. This is the most noteworthy performance I've seen from Tiffany in years. I'm glad Maiden Japan picked this title up hopefully they will pick up other underrated titles and give them a proper dub.
kazume

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Wow. I never thought I'd see the day where a Sentai dub was praised. Perhaps it's the lack of a certain Mr Foster that makes the dub work.

No it was the lack of Greg Ayres in a main role that saved it. Seriously, since there's a rule for television in "you have to look/dress/act a certain way to be on TV", News channels to point out an obvious example, then it is also my belief that for VA'ing in anime, you have to sound a certai way for a specific role.

Greg Ayres in MAIN character roles, the shoe does not fit, hardly ever.

Yes yes this is strictly my opinion, but to me, he simply is not main char. material because of the way his voice sounds.

Now im not ragging on the whole idea that "well that's his voice, take it or leave it, he cant do anything about it, maybe he was born with it or got it somehow because of reason x" I get that, the point im making is, there are certain voices that lend well to certain characters in anime; His voice of Kouta Tsuchiya from Baka & Test? Perfection, damn it was so good, and hearing him in his natural habitat, which I think lies in comedic roles (Kodocha anyone?), was spot on for me.

A serious role? Not a perfect example but here it is anyway... Angel Beats; turned it off after the episode was over, then watched the rest in jpn w/ subtitles.He recently got a minor role (i think) in Bodacious Space Pirates and I have yet to hear it but I think i'll be able to like it just fine.

Oh yeah, the show is great btw Razz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
v1cious wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
As I remember it, no one immediately knew or guessed that revelation as the show was airing. The idea did develop after a few more episodes once the pattern was noticed, but it wasn't instant. Had you known about before going in, in any capacity whatsoever?

I didn't, and I caught the twist from the get-go. I mean it was a dead giveaway when spoiler[you see Mirai's breakdown in the hospital]. This was my big problem with the show. It was good, but that whole thing could've been resolved in two episodes tops.

I watched the show every week while it was still airing in Japan, so I didn't have any beforehand knowledge about what was going to happen either. I started suspecting spoiler[Yuuki was a hallucination because his supposed recovery was too miraculous to be true, and that suspicion became certainty once I realized Mirai was the only person who talked and interacted with him.]

also, when spoiler[ Mari picks up Yuuki's backpack when Mirai and Yuuki left to go home. That time, Yuuki is wearing his backpack. When I saw that, I thought it was strange.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2