• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica & Fate/Zero's Urobuchi Plans Project for Kids

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Not really sure why people think Gen can only write one type of thing.

So basically what you are saying is Gen is only capable of writing stories with a dark twist. That isn't really giving him any credit as a writer.

And it's not just with this. Everyone expecting the "dark twist" in Gargantia because Gen wrote it (even though he hasn't even wrote every episode) is also not giving him enough credit. There should be more to a story than a good plot twist. And besides if you are expecting it, it's no longer a good plot twist.

I really hope Gen can do something more than that and well I think he can.

Yeah, he's not Shyamalan. (Spelling?) His work uses twists, but it doesn't seem to depend on them.
FlamingLight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
Instead of something dark as a plot twist, I'd rather he be a Japanese version of Don Bluth back in the 80's.
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:42 am Reply with quote
So basically what you are saying is Gen is only capable of writing stories with a dark twist. That isn't really giving him any credit as a writer.

I'm not saying he's incapable... but in the man's own words:

Gen Urobuchi wrote:
Urobuchi Gen wants to write stories that can warm people's hearts. Those who knew about my creative history would probably furrow their brows and think this is a cold joke. Actually, I couldn't completely believe it, either. Because when I start typing out words on the keyboard, the stories my brain comes up with are always full of madness and despair. In fact, I wasn't like this before. I've often written pieces that didn't have a perfect ending, but by the last chapter the protagonist would still possess a belief that 'Although there will be many hardships to come, I still have to hold on'. But from I don't know when, I can no longer write works like this. I am full of hatred towards men's so-called happiness, and had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
He can do it.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:58 am Reply with quote
As long as it's Urobuchi, I'll watch it even if it's for kids.
Slicer22

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:28 am Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:

I'm not saying he's incapable... but in the man's own words:

Gen Urobuchi wrote:
Urobuchi Gen wants to write stories that can warm people's hearts. Those who knew about my creative history would probably furrow their brows and think this is a cold joke. Actually, I couldn't completely believe it, either. Because when I start typing out words on the keyboard, the stories my brain comes up with are always full of madness and despair. In fact, I wasn't like this before. I've often written pieces that didn't have a perfect ending, but by the last chapter the protagonist would still possess a belief that 'Although there will be many hardships to come, I still have to hold on'. But from I don't know when, I can no longer write works like this. I am full of hatred towards men's so-called happiness, and had to push the characters I poured my heart out to create into the abyss of tragedy.

Well the true ending to Saya no Uta was in its own way sort of heart warming (if you focus on the two main characters and think f*** it about everyone else). I found it sort of romantic and loving also sad and bittersweet at the same time for the Saya and Fuminori. spoiler[ To be honest i was always routing for Saya and Fuminori screw the rest of the world ]
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'm personally REALLY digging how different all of Butch's works are from each other and how he's always trying new things! Madoka is so unlike Psycho-Pass which is so unlike Gargantia and none of it is very much like Saya or Fate/Zero. And now this!! I don't think he's repeated himself at all, and that's so cool.

Of course I love when a creator has a "signature style" or something I can always rely on him/her to provide (Sayo Yamamoto, Megumi Mizusawa and Hiroyuki Imaishi are wonderful + perfect in my eyes) but at the same time it's soooo exciting when you've got someone so eager to try out totally different kinds of storytelling and see how it works for them. I love it!

Go go go Urobuchi, you're a rock star!!! *v*
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Not really sure why people think Gen can only write one type of thing.

And it's not just with this. Everyone expecting the "dark twist" in Gargantia because Gen wrote it (even though he hasn't even wrote every episode) is also not giving him enough credit. There should be more to a story than a good plot twist. And besides if you are expecting it, it's no longer a good plot twist.

I really hope Gen can do something more than that and well I think he can.

Are you talking about Madoka?

I hate that people act like Madoka was dark for the sake of a twist. It was a tragedy from start to finish. People who didn't notice the more ominous points at the start were just ignorant.

I'm glad Gen Urobuchi is doing a show for kids. They have so many corporations pandering to them and ignoring their intelligence; they deserve quality entertainment delivered to them.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I hate that people act like Madoka was dark for the sake of a twist. It was a tragedy from start to finish. People who didn't notice the more ominous points at the start were just ignorant.
They're also extremely easy to overlook until the show latches on with its teeth and chows down on any contrary impressions(though I wouldn't call it a tragedy - it's very much a spoiler[dark-as-hell magical girl show, happy ending included]). The twist is there, but as zendervai said the work doesn't rely on it.
KiraMustDie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't see the problem with this. My 9-year-old brother loved Madoka.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Psychologists should be grateful to Urobuchi.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't get a lot of these comments.. Fate/Stay and Madoka were already watched by a bunch of kids in Japan. Neither of them really have anything objectionable. The only difference between this and his previous work will be the timeslot.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote
"Well then, time to TRAUMATIZE SOME KIDS."

Ha. Gotta love the logic of these reactions. Kids watch stuff like Madoka and Fate/Zero as well, so I fail to see the issue with this.

Can't wait to see just what exactly GenUro has in store for us... "kids".
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Nothing Urobuchi has written will ever cause as many nightmares among its viewers as Disney movies have.

Bring it.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
^
Yes, but the only ones traumatised by Disney movies are little children. Their parents aren't scared by Bambi's mother dying or by Simba's father dying or whatever. The violence in Disney movies isn't particularly strong, it's just that their audience comprises mostly of young impressionable children.

If I showed a six-year-old girl PMMM and she saw spoiler[Mami get decapitated and then eaten,] she'd be pretty traumatised too. But I wouldn't show PMMM to a young child, because that would be cruelty.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5