• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Compile Heart, Final Fantasy's Amano & Uematsu Reveal Fairy Fencer F RPG

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thats YOUR problem. Not theirs. YOU made assumptions about the game and now YOU are upset that its not precisely what YOU assumed it would be and are taking it out on other people
Not really. They hired and pushed these two names for a reason. For people to get hyped based on the expectations they bring. Otherwise, why reveal them before the actual game? Why even display Amano work before actually showing what the game looks like? Same reason they made a big deal about their new label.
To get hype.

And I'm not taking out anything on anyone. I'm talking about the news in the thread about the news....

Quote:
I can guarantee that Amano did not do the actual working designs for Dissidia.
I know he didn't. I said Nomura did them earlier. Doesn't change the fact that they were based on Amano's work and turned out great. Meaning, it's possible to try and do Amano's work and while it may not come out eaxtly, it can still come out pretty well. Just have him do the original character designs and go from there.

Either way, no one here has said why Amano's work can't be done. They just keep saying so as if it's a proven fact.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Wed May 08, 2013 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Kaisos Erranon

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
This sort of reaction was very predictable! Any game with cute designs isn't worth playing to a lot of people, no matter how good it actually plays.
Not that I think this will be a very good game, but still.
Kastel

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
> The Neptunia team

Wow, people are expecting an Amano work out of the team that gave us sadist Hanazawa Kana.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
Kastel wrote:
> The Neptunia team

Wow, people are expecting an Amano work out of the team that gave us sadist Hanazawa Kana.

Yes, it's totally our fault for thinking Compile Heart could make a game that wouldn't get dirty looks at a retail store when they announced a project under a new label with the headliners being Nobuo Uematsu, and Yoshitaka Amano. Totally our fault.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Yes, it's totally our fault for thinking Compile Heart could make a game that wouldn't get dirty looks at a retail store when they announced a project under a new label with the headliners being Nobuo Uematsu, and Yoshitaka Amano. Totally our fault.

You might get looks MAYBE in the United States, but if you bought Neptunia wouldn't you have just bought it online anyway.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Kastel wrote:
> The Neptunia team

Even if it was different, anyone who wasn't in their target demographic would then just complain about it being a low budget JRPG. Its a lose lose situation to go beyond their main market.
Sleverin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
This sort of reaction was very predictable! Any game with cute designs isn't worth playing to a lot of people, no matter how good it actually plays.

Quite true. I can't believe how, to this day, I still hear people hate on Zelda Wind Waker because it has "thos kiddy graphics, what a crap game, I couldn't even play it because it looked like a game for kids. so stupid, lulz it totally failz, weak." Looking at the cute characters for this game, I don't really see the problem. Honestly, I see cute characters and go, "Oh, look, cute anime girls...not really different from a lot of Japanese stuff lately." Kinda interested as to why people are up in arms...because Amano was just attached to this in a sort of, roundabout way? I mean, studios do that all the time to make people click on links. That's how they got me...
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Even if it was different, anyone who wasn't in their target demographic would then just complain about it being a low budget JRPG. Its a lose lose situation to go beyond their main market.
Im sorry, I do not like the line of logic here. So companies should never try anything risky? Companies shouldn't try to expand their market and fan base? Why the hell not?

You keep saying it would be a forgone conclusion they would fail? Why? Frankly, there's a subtle implication here that really the only reason people like these games is because of the cute girls and nothing else and that if they don't have that they wouldn't care? Do you really want to pin the fan base as really shallow?

And do you really think that the people who buy these games don't also buy the great majority of other Jrpgs? I mean aren't these the hardcore otaku? You're telling they don't actually like jrpgs and won't buy one without a cute girl like these games? That they have no actual interests in the genre?

But it's not even that. You act like jrpgs can't be successful, yet these cute girl games are the ones that mostly play 2nd fiddle to the successful jrpgs. Are you telling me that there's no potential jrpg audience worth going for outside of this small niche that buys these games? That's not true at all.

So what's that risky about making a jrpg? Maybe one that's trying to be AAA, but obviously no ones asking for that. Altus games are really cheaply made, yet they do fine and get praise everywhere. Why can't Compile Heart? Why most they only try and go for the lowest denominator?

Sadly, they actually had a chance here. Well I mean if the game is good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

I've never gotten funny looks when I've bought CH games. Hell, I bought the Agarest 1 LE and didn't get any funny looks.

Maybe it's just where you go?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:

Nice to know you care about what other people think about you rather than your own enjoyment of a game. People will give you dirty looks just for buying a Japanese game to begin with, let alone watch anime. Why do you care so much what people think?

Kaisos Erranon wrote:

We live in an era where "anime art" justifies a place in the con section of a review at places like Gamespot and IGN, so of course. I also assume that's why we have to edit Kirby to have angry eyes on American box art for Kirby games.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Please show me these reviews that "oh opress the anime community and oh show the incredible bias the industry(the same industry that grew up on Japanese games) have against Japanese games.

I'm sure you won't find them in the reviews of Atlus' rpgs or From's Soul's games.

Oh but you may find them in reviews for Idea Factory and Compile Heart games. Games that don't even have stellar reviews by the "jrpg" community as it is. And well I sure wouldn't hold it against reviewers talking about those games in a negative way, because hell I agree with them. I guess I have bias against Japan as well.

Do I think there's a move away from Japanese games that you can see in reviews? Yes. Then again and this may shock you, maybe Japanese games aren't at their best this gen. It's funny some of you wana throw the "Westerners are bias" card, but don't like to admit that that's kind of stupid and well maybe you have your own bias. Maybe the word bias is overused.

I sure think this "the west hates Japanese games" thing is. Maybe the west hates bad Japanese games. Ever think of that? Don't seem to see a lot of hate for those Souls games, Yakuza, and Atlus stuff. Hell the very anime Valkyrie Chronicles and Ni No Kuni were loved. Hell Ni No Kuni was a western media darling.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote
"Well JRPGs suck anyway so I wasn't actually excited about this despite my 10 posts whining about who's doing the character designs"

cool story bro
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
"Well JRPGs suck anyway so I wasn't actually excited about this despite my 10 posts whining about who's doing the character designs"

cool story bro
This is a great tactic. Don't actually argue anything, be dismissive by trying to be I guess funny and making up crap. But um where did I say anything about hating jrpgs? Oh wait I didn't. I'm posting in here because I like them and wanted two people I like to make another one and for a jrpg company to do something cool.

And it's funny. I wouldn't say I was excited, but I was actually interested. But hey I guess I shouldn't talk about anything in a negative light, because according to you it's always whining.\

Though if you actually you know read the thread, you'd see the conversation is more than just about the character designs.

Last edited by Rahxephon91 on Thu May 09, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Those Tsunako designs are just plain godlk. Doujins when?

But since this is a Compile Heart game...yeesh. They do not know how to make good games. Almost all of their games are just...mediocre in gameplay, even when they have pretty funny/cool stories and characters. Gonna have to wait on this one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7