• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki Anime Streaming Site Launches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leokiko

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Someone gotta send them a message explaining that most people won't watch this shit if it's dubbed. Seriously.

Also, in their FAQ: "The video availability varies depending on the country."

Well. Guess the pirates will still be the winners. What a shame.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I wish anime streaming sites would start using HMTL5 already. Works flawlessly on youtube compared to all the issues people have with flash

WC3 just approved the draft specification for HTML5 video DRM earlier this week, so it may be a while yet.

YouTube doesn't have to be that concerned about about slapping DRM on most of their videos; that is usually a content provider stipulation.

As an example, I'll wager neither of these YouTube videos is available in HTML 5 video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWtuU5H6BdQ&list=ELHyzWLVEjQgs&index=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8J7BWmQa9A&list=UUUlvYyW7UVtNJQ1KTv_Bsdg&index=13

Both those are legal anime on YouTube.

The only legit video site I've seen that had some regular anime series without DRM was NicoNico.com, and I always wondered if the content providers were aware they were doing that.
Tr1ckR

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:22 am Reply with quote
damn all the videos i click on says "This player is not approved to play this protected content"

Is it blocked in Australia or something?
configspace

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Tr1ckR wrote:
damn all the videos i click on says "This player is not approved to play this protected content"

Is it blocked in Australia or something?

It may or may not be. We won't know until they get the site fixed because everyone's getting that, including the US
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:09 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Well, the video quality so far is awful. It's like horrible low bitrate 360p.

Edit: It cleared up somewhat, but are quality dropouts a common thing with streaming?

It's because of the video player they're using. Brightcove automatically filters the video quality according to your internet speed. The slower your connection, the worse the picture. I'm not a fan of that since I'm on a slowish DSL connection and would rather let a video buffer than to be given sub 480p streams.
naninanino

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:54 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I voted for some things that don't have complete subs, like Layzner and Ai Shite Night. Those would be better suited to Anime Sols than what's supposed to be a popular streaming site.

I don't know. Layzner for one is getting subs and it might stop doing so if it gets streamed. I'd rather not gamble on it.
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:08 am Reply with quote
Jeez, whoever programmed the site obviously didn't have a native english speaker to help out. Lupin the 3rd seems to be the one with most translation errors.

They really need to improve the encoding of the player. Most of the time it kept giving random error messages. Gundam Seed HD Remaster episodes seem to look worse on their player than the same episodes on Sunrise's Gundam Youtube account.

It is nice to see that survey. Kinda shocked to see Gundam X & Birdy the Mighty on there. One due never being licensed in the US. The other due to the license being in limbo ever since CPM went out of business and thus, making existing copies really expensive.

SnaphappyFMA wrote:
Wow. Zeta Gundam is available subbed on Crunchyroll. (Or it used to be - maybe it's been taken off since I watched it there.) I love Nobuo Tobita's voice (as Kamille), I wouldn't want to watch the dub.

Once Bandai completely shut down, most of their licensed stuff was pulled down. Z Gundam, Gundam Wing, Gundam Seed/Seed Destiny, 0079 Gundam were pulled from Crunchyroll. Kurokami & Ghost Slayers Ayashi were pulled from their Youtube account.

I'm guessing CR has an agreement with Kadokawa, since Lucky Star & Haruhi Suzumiya are still on their site.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I got on the site and even registered.

I would be really excited about this if they would give us some of those shows that have never been previously licensed over here like Turn-A-Gundam /Gundam ZZ.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would ever be excited about double Zeta...
Sceleris

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:41 am Reply with quote
What kind of weird business logic can be behind some of these regional restrictions? For example, I can't watch Madoka Magica. I mean, it's not Aniplex of America, right? It's Aniplex proper, right? Surely they should have the right to let all regions not already covered by streaming licenses watch their cartoons on Daisuki. Commercial anime, excluding Ghibli movies, is pretty much completely, utterly dead in my region, so I can't imagine any licensee making a fuss about it.

I'm all like, "hey, TMS, lemme watch Lupin, you've got nothing to lose!" and they're all like "ahaha nope". Real mature, guys. Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
Bearing in mind that the service has just started out, it wouldn't hurt to provide some quality feedback to the head honchos who run it.

If they choose to ignore our feedback in favor of their own interests, then we have sufficient means to whine, bitch and moan all we want. They're the ones who will lose out in the end when they realize that the fans will turn tail and move to greener pastures a.k.a. Crunchyroll.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
Is that Z Gundam dub the one where they can't pronounce the mecha's name they say "Gundamn"?
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
Would like to have both a sub and dub option. Most of these type of sites usually have only sub. Wouldn't mind waiting sometime later if it has a dub option(like batches of an episode every few weeks).
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
When I tried to vote on shows I only got a list from A through C. Also I wondered about the difference between titles in upper- and lower-case. Perhaps the ones in upper are owned by the partners, and the others are not? I didn't see any explanation for the different cases on the list page either.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
sainta wrote:
Is that Z Gundam dub the one where they can't pronounce the mecha's name they say "Gundamn"?
No, that would be the dub for the compilation movies of Gundam 0079 which isn't on the DVDs.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would ever be excited about double Zeta...

Quite frankly as someone who's seen 99% of Gundam material I can safely say there's a lot to like about ZZ. It's only major downside is that it's first third is more comedic in tone than Z. The Mecha design is some of my favorite in the UC series, the music is awesome. Judau Ashta is quite frankly a badass. Haman is easily the strongest female Villain in Gundam and we get proper closure to Kamille's story line.

As far as the Zeta Dub goes, it's the way I personally prefer to watch the series though it is clunky and slightly discontinuous because they had to use Blue Water instead of Ocean Group (because of striking at the time). If you all think it's a bad dub oh boy the horrors you've missed.

I do agree they should try to make both language options available where possible though, but instead of griping and boycotting a clear effort to reach out to western fans, give them feedback. Use the Contact Us link to tell them what you think is wrong, vote in the survey, follow them on facebook or twitter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5