• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Clash on Titans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

knowing that I'm a girl that fantasizes with high school boys in speedos

Why are you fantasizing with high school boys? Smile
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
I went into those episodes of Gargantia expecting dumb fanservice, and got well-written, low-key drama where the characters relax for a while. Oh, and they were wearing swimsuits, but I couldn't bring myself to care. Ledo's being pursued by those gentlemen was the only element I actually felt unfitting. Sorry, but I totally disagree that those episodes being "fanservicey fluff" is a bad thing, necessarily or especially in execution. Gargantia as a whole isn't quite as good as I feel it could be, but I still think it's one of the best.

Devil is a Part-Timer is still great. The premise just does not get old, simply because it's well-done. A solid show. Space Brothers is still great, I agree with everything Bamboo writes on it. Attack no Eoten is indeed entertaining as hell, but I can't honestly rate is as highly as Bamboo has.

Muromi-san is awesome, I bloody love it. Aiura has steadily got better, I'm really liking it. Its grasp of character-based comedy is impressive even with its short runtime. I love Yui Nakajima as Kanaka Amaya. Maybe it's the same "wow, she's not high-pitched and squeaky" thing as with Mysterious Girlfriend X's Urabe, but her deeper yet light and energetic voice is enjoyable to listen to in and of itself and her delivery is engaging. I'm honestly enjoying Yuyushiki probably the most, because it's consistently funny and fresh. I agree with Fencedude, though, it's kind of weird to read Bamboo's whole review and not find mention of the defining "Yuzuko and Yukari are hugely attracted to Yui" concept. I think it's an odd season where I feel the moe shows are performing very strongly compared to the action shows.

Fleurs of Aku is still amazingly-directed and I still don't think its characters and themes are particularly good. I found that eight-minute walking sequence much better than fun with paint. I have no idea why I'm still reading the manga, but I'm watching the anime because it's really nice to look at and listen to.

Red Data Girl is still mildly interesting and pretty.

Nyaruko's still hit-and-miss. I still like it. I feel HenNeko has started performing a lot better. It's by no means great, but I just feel it's better-done. OreImo has had some better episodes than the start of the season, but I don't get the sense it will ever achieve greatness.

I can't enjoy Valvavrave non-ironically, it's too insane. Wonderfully entertaining, though. Devil Survivor 2 and Majestic Prince are pretty okay.

SNAFU is a bit better than before, but it's still painfully immature and not particularly funny or clever. I have no strong feelings towards Arata one way or the other. Karneval just seems like it has nothing to it except some vague style. Reminding me very much of K, although that at least looked amazing and had some cool fight scenes. Crime Edge is kind of crap.

Photo Kano is no longer my worst of the season. Its absolute lack of any actual content has been replaced with bad romance. Yay?

I couldn't care less about Leviathan and her dumb brother and the rest of the plot, but I kind of hate to admit I find Jörm and Bahamut cute and their dynamic kind of amusing.

Date A Live sucks. Cyclops Shoujo Saipu is really, really bad. Sparrow's Hotel is even worse.

Last edited by jymmy on Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I wanted to answer "Because I'm Free! to do so", but since the pun was so lame I'll just say that it's because Kagami looks hot when he's all roughed up and sweaty after f*cking Kuroko training in the beach
unready

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:41 am Reply with quote
Bambo Dong wrote:
15 (15) Arata: The Legend

Shouldn't that be:
Quote:
15 (15) Arata: The Legend

since the rank is the same as last article?

Arata strikes me as a big bag of tropes. There's a teenage boy who's picked-on in school, then transported to an alternate universe, where there's a magical sword only he can wield to save the princess.

That said, it seemed like an interesting and well-made bag of tropes... until this latest episode.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
CrowLia wrote:

I wanted to answer "Because I'm Free! to do so", but since the pun was so lame I'll just say that it's because Kagami looks hot when he's all roughed up and sweaty after f*cking Kuroko training in the beach

Ah, in some jurisdictions it may not be free for you legally to do with high school boys (depending on how far it goes), but since it's about anime high school boys, go right ahead and do it with as many high school boys in your locale. (As ya know, I'm just joking with ya.) Smile
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Because not everyone cares about it as much as you do, and doing that tends to look really creepy.

Yes, how dare I care about romantic relationships in anime.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ehhhh? But I'm not doing anything with high school boys D:. Just thinking of them. Anime, of course ;D. Real life high school boys are incredibly stupid ("hahaha he said "boobs" LOOOOL) and not cute at all. Of course, if that stupid bill passes, my life will come to an end and I'll become one of those bitter old anime fans becrying about the good ol' times when I'm only 20.

At least I'll always have them KotetsuxBarnaby doujins to make me happy. And the upcoming Love Stage Anime is safe since everyone is an adult, even if Izumi looks like a 14-year-old. Two things to hold on to.

Oops, wrong thread
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
I haven't dropped a show this season yet but I would say that the Spring season is much better than the previous Winter imo. My favorite ongoing series so far this season are Attack on Titan, Gargantia on the Verduous Planet, Railgun S, The Devil is a Part-Timer!, My Romantic Comedy SNAFU, and lately Oreimo S2. I've been watching all three of the mecha shows and can barely take Valvrave seriously at all.

Otherwise, some of the others show had its up and downs for me but I think Attack on Titan so far definitely does deserves its hype for its faithful adaptation, kickass music, characters, etc.

I am a bit disappointed with Devil Survivor 2 which had a strong pilot episode imo but later went down a broken road. Then, there's Henneko which I sort of like, Date a Live that I watch for fun, RDG which I find hard to figure out. Otherwise, not a bad season this Spring!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:41 am Reply with quote
I'm still sticking with Gargantia, Devil Survivor and Mushibugyo (it's just fun...stupid fun XP).
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:50 am Reply with quote
I will pick back up My romance Snafu at your suggestion, thanks for that

I do have to say though that you just didn't see the jokes in Date A Live (not saying you need to) But The idea of shindo dating 3 girls at the same exact time has a lot of comedic material, and the whole shopping incident was fun just because it was taking the "this girl is so into our protagonist that something HAS TO BE WRONG" to far far extremes to point out how stupid it is that they don't notice. same with the reaction shot to the blood bath which was also quite ridiculous for three people.

I would also say that I disagree with you on garg...the new gen show. I never fully bought into your analysis of the show, and I think some of it is just the show not going the way you want. That said yes it is somewhat forced however it's still very rooted in the characters personalities and views.

Also HECK YES TO Hunter X Hunter being on toonami I would fully support that. I wish you would still mention it occasionally.

On Red Data Girl I dropped it. I just can't like these characters, and even with my knowledge of shinto which allows me to understand what is going on with the show for the most part, I just can't deal with the leads, and the only interesting characters I saw now have their arcs done so I am to. Red Data Girl should have been a lot better for some reason it just completely failed to connect with me.

I'll give titan another chance personally, same for devil is, Muromi, and maybe flowers of evil at triple speed till episode 7. I still think the show looks unintentionally horrible at times (not all the time) and that I would be far better off just reading the manga or waiting for an actual live action adaptation.

finally I don't get your criticism devil survivor at all almost. I have not played the game at all, but aside from being paced to quickly I think I think that it has been doing a great job, just in terms of bringing the story to life, and it being an interesting story. Also to be fair it was not the god thing but the anguished one who selected the people so I don't understand that critique either.

Please keep up the great work Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:15 am Reply with quote
Red Data Girl is an odd show. The plot is difficult to understand because we haven't been told anything. Apparently it all means something - the characters treat elections for the school as being of the utmost importance that will have huge ramifications - but I don't know why. I have no idea what the stakes are. I don't know what the difference will be between the girl winning the election and the evil boy winning. Now, either I've completely dropped the ball on paying attention, or the show really hasn't bothered to explain what the heck is going on and why we should care. To me, the show at the moment is just a pretty but meandering mess.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I would also say that I disagree with you on garg...the new gen show. I never fully bought into your analysis of the show, and I think some of it is just the show not going the way you want.

This is an absolutely fair point, and I think this may definitely be a "to his/her own." Most reflections on any given work are largely personal, and shaped by personal experiences. I'm curious, what is your analysis of the show?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:38 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I don't know how you can write several paragraphs on Yuyushiki and not mention any of the barely-coded lesbian undertones.

In fact it pretty much has become explicit with Kei, Chiho and Yui.

I understand your viewpoint completely. I'm a little wary of bringing up lesbian undertones because I'd rather the viewer pick those up themselves. As you say, it's not so subtle, so I don't really feel obligated to make a point of commenting on it. Partly, I'd rather each person decide how they want to respond to it. Also, I sometimes have a negative kneejerk reaction to seeing lesbian undertones in works aimed at a seinen audience, so I'd rather not let that cloud my comments, and I'd rather open it instead to two-way discussion in the forums.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Ledo's being pursued by those gentlemen was the only element I actually felt unfitting. Sorry, but I totally disagree that those episodes being "fanservicey fluff" is a bad thing, necessarily or especially in execution.

I agree! But I fear this debate leads only to madness, so that's all I'll say for now.

Bamboo wrote:
Either way, this new mess with the whalesquids feels forced. Although almost everyone on Gargantia is upset with Ledo for killing one of the creatures, no attempt is really made to either reconcile their ideological differences, or put him in jail. Instead, it's just two episodes of frantic arm-waving—both from the Gargantians, who gripe about Ledo but do nothing to stop his agenda; and Ledo, who is so tunnel-visioned about slaughtering the whalesquids that his bullheadedness feels like empty caricature. Maybe all of this was twisted into place so that the Great Whalesquid Hunt could serve as some kind of revelation or analogy, but in its current place, it feels illogical and half-assed. The Gargantians don't act in any sort of rational or organized manner, and it's frustrating to watch.

Well, let's keep a couple things in mind:

1. As far as the average Gargantian is aware, Ledo commands a God-machine which he could probably use to destroy them at any time (the fleet's command staff knows this for a fact). This makes him rather intimidating, and downright scary after killing what many of them consider to be a sacred creature.

2. For the first 16 years of his life in the void, Ledo was the subject of profound antipathetic psychological conditioning towards the Hideauze, both as a result of military indoctrination and the brutality of warfare.

Given these problems, it's entirely understandable that there is little in the way of effective conference with Ledo. He and the Gargantians are pulling in opposite directions. Ledo, who is still struggling to assimilate, is regressing to what he knows when presented with an immediate Hideauze threat; the fleet is caught up in the shock of the whalesquid killing, and has little basis for understanding Ledo's obsession. And it's not as if Ridget, Amy, and Bebel don't try at all to explain things and reason with him (also, I take Ridget's standoff with him at the end of episode 7 as a sign of desperation, which strikes me as something that happens in real life).

In any case, it's not unsurprising that Gargantia's relationship with Ledo deteriorates further in episode 8, what with Fairlock dying and Pinion putting his own plans into motion. These occurrences both cut right to the heart of the fleet's integrity. In light of that, I was quite surprised--and impressed--that Gargantia's situation didn't sour a lot more, thanks to Ridget working her ass off to hold things together.

On the whole, episodes 7 and 8 reaffirmed for me that Gargantia itself is a delicate, miraculous thing, very much at the mercy of rough waters in every sense of the word. It's remarkable that it keeps chugging along. And I feel that the show does a great job of portraying that existence.

With all that said, episode 9 really puts things into perspective, if you haven't already seen it... Although, given your extensive academic background in the life sciences, I am very curious to know how it makes you feel. Laughing

This final stretch is going to make for some really good discussion, I hope, come July.

Last edited by Big Hed on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 am Reply with quote
I'm actually keeping up with enough shows this season to participate in the discussion and my Crunchyroll subscription isn't going to waste!
I have to hand it to Crunchyroll for making the latest Attack on Titan eps available Saturday nights, because if they didn't, I'd probably torrent it and then feel horribly guilty for doing so. It never ceases to amuse me that a show about man-eating giants got me so firmly in its grip. The pacing, the human drama-the fight against a seemingly ustoppable force of nature, accompanied by the horrors of war-really shines through. I disagree about the supporting characters' development. I feel we've been getting to know Armin and the others slowly but surely, with a bit too much of Jean's inner monologues. Erin, OTOH, scares me-the flashback of him "heroically" spoiler[slaughtering grown men as a young child] just underscores his recklessness and willingness to use any means to an end. Mikasa is a well realized character who is able to admit to herself when she's wrong, show vulnerability as the situation allows, and is still acknowledged as the strongest soldier, which makes her a standout female character in a shonen show. I just ordered the manga volumes and hope its as fun to read as it is to watch.

In terms of what I look forward to every week, Gargantia is a close second. I'm enjoying its laidback attitude and sci-fi trappings. The latest revelations in ep 9 may not have been the most original, but they still excited me. How will this new information affect our boy soldier, his (sentient?) robot, and the society that took him in? How will they affect Pinion who has an axe to grind? And, most importantly, too what affect will Urobochi use it to resolve the plot?

Red Data Girl is suffering from "you should have read the source material!" An ailment afflicting many anime these days. It is true that we are told that certain things like the school elections, are very, very important without being told why. I do like the characters, though and the show is just so pretty! It's dazzling! I just hope the plot gets better.

The Devil is a Part-Timer is still amusing and funny without devolving into mindless action or harem-like hijinks, both of which it showed the propesity for.

I'm behind on My Teen Romance SNAFU!. I like Hachiman's snark. I was afraid it was losing it's humor as of ep 4, but if it gets better... I also stopped watching Flowers of Evil around the 4th ep, but now I really want to see it to its 7th. Majectic Prince caught my imagination somehow but I fell behind on it, too. It's nothing spectacular, I just want to see these characters grow socially.

How are the vampires dealt with in Valvrave? I don't know if I'll go back to watching it, but I'm really curious about that aspect of the story and it was barely mentioned in the review.

Thanks for the column, Bamboo! It always a joy to read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5