• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Female superhero/action help

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ionside

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have any suggestions on some good movies that have female superheros kicking ass? Or good fight scenes? looking for footage for a project.
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:05 pm Reply with quote
You can always check out a Miyazaki film if your looking for female protagonists. The most action oriented films from him I would suggest would be Nausicaa, and Princess Mononoke. If your looking for a straight up action series, try Jubei Chan. The Fatal Fury movies usually feature Mai Shiranui kicking ass before her ass gets thrashed and has to get Andy to come to the rescue. Ryoko from the Tenchi series is pretty bad ass. Check out the beginning of Tenchi Universe and you'll know what I mean. The Dirty Pair often end up kicking butt all over the place too.
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
ionside wrote:
Anyone have any suggestions on some good movies that have female superheros kicking ass? Or good fight scenes? looking for footage for a project.

Are you limiting suggestions to just movies? Or would TV series suggestions be welcome as well?
If you're just looking at feature-length films, Ghost in the Shell's Motoko Kusanagi kicks major butt and all of her fight scenes are beautifully animated. The new Appleseed's Deunan is a great fighter and has lots of acton scenes to choose from as well. In a different vein of action, the Cardcaptor Sakura movies have some rather well done action sequences with Sakura. And the Utena movie has spectacular visuals and a variety of swordfights involving Utena and various antagonists. I'd also second the recommendation for Miyazaki films... particularly Nausicaa.
From TV series and OVAs, the original Bubblegum Crisis is full of cyberpunk action and some very well animated sequences in later episodes. Gunslinger Girl has tons of well-crafted gun/fight scenes that are visually spectacular. Arjuna's first two episodes have lots of fantasy action and absolutely beautiful animation, and Juna's a fantastic superhero. Oh, and Mezzo's sexy Mikura is one of my favorite heroines of all time. The opening fight scene of the first episode is really well animated. Finally, the Shadow Skill OVA contains an incredibly well-staged climactic fight between the protagonist Ella and her little brother.

What kind of action do you want as an emphasis? Guns? Swords? Martial arts? My suggestions include a variety, so I thought I'd ask.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ionside

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for all the advice on titles. I will be sure to look them up.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Some other titles that are good with female leads are Project A-Ko, Dirty Pair/Flash (I thought it was a fun show), in Sorcerer Hunters its typically the females that lay the beatdown, and the Iczer series is another one.
Coffeeman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quote
What about Kekko Kamen? Laughing

But if you're restricting yourself to movies... That's really restrictive.

Um... Slayers, the Burn Up series (there are several,) Gunsmith Cats, Bakuretsu Tenshi, Gunslinger Girl, Najica Blitz Tactics, are all action-based shows with main female characters.
Acolyte

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:39 pm Reply with quote
You could give Noir a try. Plus there are some decent sequences in Steel Angel Kurumi and Mohoromatic. Kino no tabi has one or two as well. Then there's Iria (Zeiram). Loiue the Rune Soldier has some.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why but my post earlier was deleted Crying or Very sad . Oh well time for me to recommend it again but in further detail. My recommendation earlier was Mai-HiME. An action anime with pretty much all female leads with the exception of a few males characters. From what i've seen in the first 5 episodes the action is top-notch especially in the first 2-3 episodes. Very well animated fights with girls going at each others throats for the early part of the series. Not to mention some really comedic moments and the usual fan-service that usually comes with the action animes female leads.

If there was another anime then I'd say Fullmetal Panic: The Second Raid between episodes 3-5. There are some really well animated fights that involve female characters. If you're still looking for kick-ass girls then in between those episodes you'll find them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I suggest the Appleseed film for starters or possibly Ghost in the Shell if you're not limited to any kind of R rated content.

For series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Read or Die The TV, Noir and Madlax are all good for examples of women kicking butt.
Preston

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, females kicking ass, eh? It appears everyone here has overlooked the series that is labeled for this (unfairly, the people that say this have usually only seen the first 13 of so episodes from a poor quality ripped fansub): Burst Angel/Bakuretsu Tenshi. Hmm, you don't know a female kicking ass until you've seen Jo do her thing. I seriously suggest you check this one out, there are some beutiful fight scenes, in the truest sense of the word. Its Gonzo for chrissake..
ionside

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Thanks again for all of the suggestions...I really appreciate it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:10 pm Reply with quote
If you truly want female super-heroes kicking ass (and by this I assume you mean super-powered heroines), then you need to check out Kiddy Grade. Lots of super-powered butt-kicking action, and it's also a story that's a lot deeper than it appears to be at first.

For the "silly fan service" angle on the same thing, Kekko Kamen would certainly fit the bill. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mugen1style

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I have not heard any one suggest Ikki Tousen. The 13 episode series has alot of fight seens involving women. The main character is female High school student who caries the reincarnation of an ancient warrior. She has to fight all of the other reincarnated warriors from the seven schools in the Kanto region. This show is not highly regarded by anime fandom,however I thought it was a good series. The thing that was a little over done is the fan service, they never waste an opertunity to show some skin. The fights are most of the show while the story is good its not developed that well. I think its still a good show.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:47 pm Reply with quote
mugen1style wrote:
The fights are most of the show while the story is good its not developed that well. I think its still a good show.

Okay think about this, A thirteen episode series with a busty girl for a main character. Put in some chinese history behind it and fanservice galore, which do you think they'll focus more on in a 13 episode series? Easy answer. Very few series are able to develop a story really well within a 13 episode limit/time frame. I have seen very few do it. But some series I thought were really well done in 13 were He Is My Master and Air TV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
outlawwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I have not heard any one suggest Ikki Tousen.

If your suggesting Ikkitousen, then I'll be suggesting Tenjho Tenge. It's a fighting series just like Ikkitousen with some equally sweet looking babes. It's not as loaded with girls as Ikki, but the action quality is supposedly better than Ikki and it's supposed to have a pretty interesting story until the ending leaves you hanging.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2