• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oldest Surviving Japanese TV Anime's Film Discovered

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one that know about the old Japanese King Kong films. Thanks for mentioning those films.
Your welcome, I first heard of them after watching this video which talks about several other lost monster/horror films besides the King Kong films: http://cinemassacre.com/2010/10/14/top-10-lost-horror-films/

Back to the topic, it be cool if this TV anime film were to be released outside of Japan for other countries to see. Not that I will hold my breathe for, but it be great to see at least something similar to that "Roots of Japanese Anime" DVD which contained Momotaro's Sea Eagles which wasn't officially released in America until 60 some years later.
labmember001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:34 pm Reply with quote
RichardFromMarple wrote:
This reminds me of the missing epsiodes of Doctor Who turning up every now & again.

Quite a lot of UK TV has been lost, often the tapes were wiped or even filmed series were junked after a few years because they weren't considered worth keeping.

This was my first thought too ^^

AlanMintaka wrote:

What always bothered me about that whole scenario is that the Ptolemies never conscripted/enlisted/forced (whatever they did in those days to create a labor force) scribes to hand-copy the scrolls for storage in different locations. The Church did this during the Medieval Age, and long before Gutenberg came along they managed to mass-produce, distribute, and store a lot of scripture for safekeeping. If only the Ptolemies had done that....

I think you're vastly underestimating the size of their library. A few dozen scripture scrolls is nothing. And most all their scrolls were hand-copied from the original sources in the beginning, they simply made copies of every scroll that came though the city. That probably took a lot of man power, making a second copy would be twice the work. They probably weren't terribly worried about backing everything up as they weren't the original copies in the first place, and there was nowhere safer to put them.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Glad to know I'm not the only one that know about the old Japanese King Kong films. Thanks for mentioning those films.
Your welcome, I first heard of them after watching this video which talks about several other lost monster/horror films besides the King Kong films: http://cinemassacre.com/2010/10/14/top-10-lost-horror-films/

That's how I found out about the lost Japanese King Kong film, thanks James Rolfe.

Anyway, back on topic, if a lost anime like this can be found, I hope others that are considered lost could be found again. I hope the Japanese King Kong films that is lost is somehow found.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
man, it is quite amazing at how much art has been lost due to time. If I remember right, roughly 70%+ of all films made before 1960 are gone. That is kind of terrifying.

Since it's not a nitrate print we don't have that problem to worry about unless vinegar syndrome didn't already do that for us.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:
man, it is quite amazing at how much art has been lost due to time. If I remember right, roughly 70%+ of all films made before 1960 are gone. That is kind of terrifying.

I'd imagine a good lot of those were lost in the wars, as Hugo demonstrates that nearly an entire man's work can be suddenly gone. None of Theda Bara's films are preserved. Post wars, I'm sure survival rates fare much better.

It can vary depending on location, care or interests in place. Often times simply getting stuck in a warehouse unnoticed unless someone doesn't go to the trouble to log through cataloging these things is how we rediscover them again. Sometimes prints can be stuck in unlabeled cans or cans that have different titles labeled on them for instance. It's those opportunities that shouldn't be overlooked.

Quote:
For those clamoring about fansubs, do you go out of your way to regularly watch ancient anime? Beyond historical appreciation, I find it kind of hard to really care about the stories and characters, it's just more about "wow, this was made in X year", which was most of what I got out of Hakujaden. Then again, 9 minutes is a small pill to swallow.

You have to be my age to appreciate it more really. Let's not make this a "hipster" thing at all, I know plenty of guys that are into this as well.

Jayhosh wrote:
Have you seen Future Boy Conan? That's a fantastic late 70's anime that definitely does not get the recognition it deserves.

It really needs it.

Quote:
Too many people who watch anime are afraid to venture out past anything pre 2000's anymore (except for the obvious popular titles like DBZ, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Evangelion etc.). They're too "hip" for that I guess. They'd be surprised at how many classics they miss out on.

Those people are nobodies in my book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3