• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Summer 2013 - The List

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Also Gifuu Doudou!! Kanetsuga to Keiji anime written by the God himself Yasuhiro Imagawa

WHAT! Imagawa is working on this?! Now I MUST watch it! Dreamy!!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Or perhaps I'll simply point out you obviously haven't any actual counter arguments to my complaints and just jumped in to comment on me personally rather than what I was saying.

I'll probably only get the Caldecott for that one.

How do you counter an argument that is just "all of this stuff is shit and I hate it?"

Seriously. You never like anything. Why do you even post on this site? I can't remember the last time you actually expressing a positive opinion about any anime.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Seriously. You never like anything. Why do you even post on this site? I can't remember the last time you actually expressing a positive opinion about any anime.

Well, I was going to quit, but now that I know you dislike it...

(I like plenty.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Well, I was going to quit, but now that I know you dislike it...

(I like plenty.)

Well you never seem to ever talk about them. Literally all you do is bitch incessantly about how anime isn't up to whatever arbitrary standard you are currently holding.

Not to mention most of your complaints are objectively wrong and come from the absolute laziest school of "all this anime shit looks the same" trolling.

Especially since you haven't even seen these [expletive] shows so all you are going on is what they look like, and you can't even get that right half the time.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I mean why would you watch the shows if they looked like shit?

Anime. A thing you can judge by it's cover.

Just joking, but not really. Hey Arise was good, thats new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
smilewolfy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
lol over the past few years I've been watching anime Summer has always been the weakest season for me, but this year it's the strongest xD

Excited for Blood Lad, the manga was nice, but that art style and coloring are so different from what I expected Anime cry

Danganronpa was an awesome game, having just finished reading the Let's Play a few days ago, the mysteries are pretty neat Smile but all only 13 episodes...I'll just hope it's not TOO rushed.

Rozen Maiden (2013), have no idea what it's about, but it's a remake of an apparently popular series from a few years ago from my knowledge so can't hurt to check it out.

Free!, I'll have to watch the first ep just so I can at least have some knowledge on it, seems that's gonna be totally popular.

Servant x Service, Fantasia Dolls, Silver Spoon, Inu To Hasami wa Tsukaiyou, Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku, Devils and Realist, Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi and Day Break Illusion are also on my to check out list, but I usually end up sticking 1/5 of the anime I start with each season.

If only the Sailor Moon anime was this season Anime cry
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote
I didn't even realize that another Genshiken anime was being animated until I came across the Anime Spotlight on it and dug up info on the new series. Shocked

Consider it another addition to titles of possible interest for the season from my end. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote
Ooo, I'm looking forward to Genshiken Second Season to be honest. I'm not sure how I feel yet about the VA changes but this brings back some nostologia definitely.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Ogiue no longer has that bizarre hairstyle. slightly disappointing
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Having watched the first TV series(I'll watch the OVAs next), I enjoyed the nods at otakudom and liked how antagonist Saki was most of the time. Also enjoyed Madarame and Ohno a lot too.

I'm considering watching the third series(the one in the spotlight). It will probably have little mention of KujiUn and it would be interesting to see how the Genshiken dynamics would be different with mostly fujoshi.

Last edited by AbZeroNow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Disappointing that it doesn't seem we're going to get the last 1.5-2 volumes of the original Genshiken manga animated. Seeing Sasahara job searching and learning about Ogiue's past and how they slowly got closer to eachother was quite a bit of fun.

Not sure how the new cast is. Though hopefully Kucchi is still as crazy as ever now that he's surrounded by women and a trap. And I hear Madarame lingers about the new club which is good to hear as well.

I also wish that the title is written as Genshiken Nidaime or Genshiken Second Generation. Calling it Genshiken Second Season or even worse Genshiken 2 is just confusing as all hell given that there were two seasons of Genshiken anime already before this. So please, call it by its actual title.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm calling it Genshiken 3, because that makes the most sense in mah brain.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I also wish that the title is written as Genshiken Nidaime or Genshiken Second Generation.

Since the "dai" in Nidaime is 代, Second Generation or some synonym of such really would make the most sense. :/
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Well you never seem to ever talk about them. Literally all you do is bitch incessantly about how anime isn't up to whatever arbitrary standard you are currently holding.

Not to mention most of your complaints are objectively wrong and come from the absolute laziest school of "all this anime shit looks the same" trolling.

Especially since you haven't even seen these [expletive] shows so all you are going on is what they look like, and you can't even get that right half the time.

THIS^100!

penguintruth wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Everyone's working off the same basic style but there's differences.

And that style is horrible.

Whatever happened to Toshihiro Kawamoto? Yoshikazu Yasuhiko? Where's Yoshiyuki Sadamoto? Can't we get Takeshi Koike to do something? Takahiro Kishida?

Anybody with a freaking distinct character aesthetic?! One that doesn't look like the same, soulless, cutsie garbage that panders to potential sex offenders?

Man............do you want some cheese with that pretentious, BS-laden whine?! Maybe I should call in a wambulance for you. Rolling Eyes
HopelessOsaka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
OK, then, find me a show about adult gangsters in Southeast Asia. Young adults studying classical music. A reverie on lost loves and missed opportunities set in a Ginza bar. Quantum mechanics. Political conflicts in a fantasy Asian empire.

You know as well as I do few shows like those exist in 2013. Sure I can point to exceptions -- Shin Sekai Yori, or Mine Fujiko, or Madoka Magica, or Hyouge Mono. But they are much more rare today than in years past.

I've watched a few hundred anime series over the past seven years or so. It's not hard to see that the diversity of stories in contemporary anime is much, much narrower than it was even less than a decade ago. Adults are a distinct rarity in modern anime. So is "hard" science fiction. I understand changing tastes and the economics of anime production. I know why today's offerings are less diverse. I don't have to like it.

You can sit on your high perch and say I'm just stuck in the past, but I do watch shows every season. I just watch a lot fewer of them than I did before. I actually have pretty eclectic tastes as the list I gave you suggests. Unfortunately eclecticism is not a characteristic of today's anime marketplace.

Anime seasons always go through trends. I think in the mid-to-late 90's it was about the same as now; magical girl, sports, mystery and mecha shows prevalent with some other genres like romance and fighter and dark drama mixed in. And a few stood out, became well-known and influential, the rest wound up either generally known or bit the dust in the public conscious.

Though I would love to watch more shows with adults at the center of them, too. There was a recent flux of them, but I guess we're back to adolescents again. Mainly I'm just happy that the uber moe and uber fanservicey shows have died down a little.

Shows I'm interested in this season would be Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni, Free, Genshiken, Dagan Ronpa, and maybe Makai Ouji, though I've read the manga and I hope they pace it faster when transitioning to animation. And yeah, like someone mentioned earlier, it's kind of gay (though as much as Free is kind of gay, maybe a bit more), but generally it's about demons and a super realist and Biblical allusions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10