• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Launches Shonen Jump Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetus-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
suna_suna wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Then they're going to seriously be hurting, since the only people who care about One Piece are the ones who buy the uncut Japanese versions.

you make a very good point, if they don't release anymore uncut dvds, like yugioh and shaman king, then the wont pertain to a wider audience like they should. speaking of which, why have they decided not to release anymore uncuts?

No, it's been reported before that the uncut dvd didn't even sell as well.

Actually:
Quote:
“Our uncut versions have demonstrated a strong appeal with the loyal anime enthusiasts and have been proven sellers at specialty retailers around the country,” said Joe Lyons, Director of Home Entertainment, 4Kids Entertainment.

animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=838

As for the uncut Naruto boxsets the price isn't too impossible when you consider 26 episodes will still cost $40-60. It's still not as expensive as the Inuyasha ones (which I've seen going for $90 in stores) but they're probably expecting more sales with the lower price and Naruto's general popularity. If Viz were to get Bleach I'd like to see them release it like this too.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm sure it's been said, but kinda sucks that they're releasing the edited TV edit of Naruto first. Though thankfully they will release uncut ones for fans. DAMMIT! Why is ther no justice in the world and no uncut One Piece even announced?! DAMMIT! *goes and punches wall, cursing the name of 4kids*

-Xenos
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:20 am Reply with quote
Well, the good news is that 4Kids' press release seems to imply that they do want to release uncut discs.

The bad news is that it doesn't seem to be a terribly high priority for them, considering that it's taken them a year to release just nine episodes of Yugioh and six of Shaman King uncut. Yugioh is 224 episodes long (not counting GX) so at this rate they'll be done with the series in the year 2029.

One Piece is even longer. I imagine we'll all be dead by the time they get past the first season. :p
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quote
My guess is that 4Kids managed to piss Shueisha off by not making One Piece a stellar, ground-breaking success, and since Shueisha are now a somewhat participating part of the NA market (Viz Media), they want the video rights to their titles to incorperate into the Shonen Jump Home Video catalouge.

It could possibly herald a somewhat decent release of Slam Dunk, but not for a while.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:40 am Reply with quote
One Piece is as popular as it ever will be in the U.S., and blaming 4Kids for that is futile. I'm not sure what kind of success people expected of it, but there's no card game(in the story, anyway), and there are no fireballs, so I don't know why people thought it would be big here.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
One Piece is as popular as it ever will be in the U.S., and blaming 4Kids for that is futile. I'm not sure what kind of success people expected of it, but there's no card game(in the story, anyway), and there are no fireballs, so I don't know why people thought it would be big here.

I dunno, when kids steal Yu-Gi-Oh cards from Shonen Jump Comics and leave the One Piece cards still in the wrapper, something is DEFINATELY wrong with this picture.

Likewise, why the Naruto Managa showed a surprising surge after it forst aired, One Piece Manga hasn't even shown a blip when it first aired.

So how exactly is One Piece "popular?"
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:19 pm Reply with quote
...That's my point, exactly.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Popular in the fact that we bash it to no end? Popular in the fact that we can add "of crap" to the end...? Give a otaku a bone here!!
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to these releases. They've got wonderful prices, and I've wanted to watch Hikaru no Go for a long time, but I hate downloading fansubs because it takes at least 1+ days for my computer to download it and then I can't keep them because I can't copy them to a disc. And this way, I can support the anime more.

I may or may not buy the Naruto DVDs because I already have the Pierrot boxsets. I'm also disappointed that 4Kids is not going to be releasing uncuts for a while - though, that explains what happened to the lack of releases for the uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! DVD's.

I suppose either way, VIZ wins because the dub fans will buy the edited versions and purists can be happy with their uncut versions, which I'm sure they'll be able to put on Japanese audio to "get rid of the oh n0z0rz h0rrible voice acting and lack of no jutsu and misprononciation 0f words even though the actors aren't fluent in japanezes!"

(For the record, I like the English and the Japanese VAs.)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Popular in the fact that we bash it to no end? Popular in the fact that we can add "of crap" to the end...? Give a otaku a bone here!!

What the hell? Gatsu stated clearly that it was going to be how popular it is always going to be, not that it was really popular.

Oh I don't know anymore.
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Ever since OP has been airing on Toonami, its ratings have shot up. More people watch Toonami than 4Kids.TV, thats how it is.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Ever since OP has been airing on Toonami, its ratings have shot up. More people watch Toonami than 4Kids.TV, thats how it is.

That's due to more people watching Cartoon Network as opposed to 4kids.TV in general.

The show was meant to be a mega-superduper blockbuster, but it failed for several reasons, not entirely limited to 4kids.
Jkid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Can you tell us why?

(I can guess one of reasonsOne Piece anime wasn't a blockbuster is that the rap theme song.)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Jkid wrote:
Can you tell us why?

(I can guess one of reasonsOne Piece anime wasn't a blockbuster is that the rap theme song.)

Actually, the rap doesn't have much to do with it, even though it doesn't improve it.

The problem with One Piece is that it's too outlandish, visually anyway. The concept of pirates with superpowers and how silly (mind you, I like the designs, as do other people, but we're moreso used to anime not always looking conventional) the people look would just turn people off anyway.

It's a show that already was risky to introduce to american audiences since it's just really unfamiliar territory, but giving it a crapshoot dub job didn't help it either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:55 pm Reply with quote
What Steve said. I think part of why One Piece isn't a big hit here is American audiences are used to pirate tales, and One Piece doesn't really offer anything new in that regard.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4