• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
I am also going to guess that spoiler[Rin is the culprit behind the sniper attack] in the beginning of episode 7 there. I mean, coincidence?...I don't buy that. More importantly though, I am VERY curious on wondering what exactly happened between her and Sonora. I mean, it sounds like some serious business.

I hope Yura's team will kick some booty next time and spoiler[Sonora to get well soon.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

It looks very likely that spoiler[Rin was desperate enough to win that she actually targeted Yura and Sonora with a high powered airsoft gun while on the streets]. It is really nuts, but it looks like it might be a future that Yura might have if she continues to take some of it so seriously. Although it is not like Yura is some one trick pony in only being for the goal and being angry at other players in wanting to win at any cost, she spoiler[was against the idea that a player could be that bad, but people can just be big ass holes]. Yura was kind of stupid in thinking to spoiler[treat that assault in the middle of the street like it was just a match].

I think that I noticed that Yura has recently got a lot more tanned too, so there are other parts of her changing. Also noticed that we are only half way through, I wonder how things will continue to change in the rest of the episodes. Oh, and their summer uniforms are cute too.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I LOLed at the Jojo reference and really appreciate them showing how stupid it looks when the people doing it aren't total badasses. As a friend of mine said "You've got to be pretty badass to strike that pose and wear that outfit without being made fun of."

I think the same about spoiler[Rin] as you guys do. I'll even go as far as to say that if it wasn't her then it's total BS. Because if it's not then that means whoever IS at fault is likely some noface character and that would be lame.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to figure out why Yura's failings make me so angry. I usually like characters with flaws that show some growth, but she seems to be regressing instead of advancing, or rather, she's traded one stupid character flaw (nearly crippling shyness) for even stupider ones (episode 8 spoiler[focus on winning, irrationality, ordering everyone around, cheating]). I just don't see any progress.

I guess I need characters with flaws that I can understand where they're coming from. If I can understand why they feel that way or do whatever, I can be interested in them, and even root for them. But I don't know why she was so shy to begin with, and her total personality transplant apparently occurred offscreen on her lunch hour, so there's pretty much nothing in her actions that I can relate to on a level that would allow me to sympathize with her or like her. Since I can't slap her upside the head, I'm about ready to rage-quit this.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

I on the other hand totally dig Yura losing one character flaw to pick up another. I have my own shyness issues so I could relate to her earlier problems, look at the thread of another current series to see my own levels, so I had not problems with Yura's. And on that note I can also relate to what Yura spoiler[did in cheating too]. Although it sounds less serious there have been a few times when I was playing a card game (Yu-Gi-Oh) and I might have spoiler[omitted that something I did was not quite right, which won the match since the other person did not see it, which ended up making me feel awful].

I look forward to the resolve as it fits into making Yura realizing she is spoiler[turning into what Rin is like, and it will just eat her up]. Rin did likely spoiler[cheat after all, so Stella likely deserved to win, but the simple fact that Yura did what she did says the opposite]. In fact I was kind of expecting that Yura would spoiler[zombie from much earlier on based on the fact she always avoided getting hit].

Good work on Yura realizing when therespoiler[ was a "Spy" among them], cool for both sides.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I think if it were the kind of spoiler[cheating that's just on her if discovered, and only she had to take the fallout, I could deal with it better, but they went to great pains to point out that the entire team would be disqualified if one player zombied.] It's like she learned nothing of how her actions affect her teammates from the first time, even though that was played out as though it was pretty traumatic for her.

Btw, I didn't mean to imply that shyness is stupid, but rather the way it's been handled with her character is stupid. Her instant 180 on that was kind of hard to believe.

I dunno, maybe I've just been dealing with too many stupid people at work whose messes I have to clean up once I discover them, since they won't tell me about them when it's still easy to fix. Smile
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Gee I wonder what team is going to win the big showdown.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Yura will change by the end of the season again. Right now, the only thing on her mind is win, win, win.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
This is why you shouldn't get a haircut. it changes you far too much
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 coming down to what it did in the end was one of the two possible ways I thought things might play out. Definitely look forward to seeing how much this ultimately shakes up Yura and if it helps her to realize how far off into the deep end she's starting to go.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
My interest in the show has been reinvigorated. Having Yura spoiler[cheat] is a very interesting story choice. You don't often see one of the spoiler["good guys" in a series like this stoop so low as to cheat. Kudos to the show for going there. My instinct is that Sonora is going to pick up that something is hinky and Yura will eventually admit her cheat and Rin's team will be declared the winners. This, of course, will set up the real climax between the two teams] where Sonora will be involved as well.

I'm glad the show has given Yura a new defect: the painfully shy thing would have gotten old, fast.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 9
spoiler[Zombied?]! that's the first time I've heard usage of that word in an anime before I think. Does that term apply to airsoft specifics?

Anyways, episode was okay. Yes, Yura sure has changed and brings a bit of unpleasant atmosphere to the club...

On the other hand, spoiler[wb Sonora! Ah I am glad she is back as her cherry usual self.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Yura has spoiler[become a zombie], that is probably the best way to describe it. Honestly I had a few surprises in this episode, that Yura would actually spoiler[very quickly admit that she cheated], that Rin spoiler[would deny it], and that the rest of the club would spoiler[get annoyed at her for trying resolve it]. They just want to spoiler[leave it behind and move on, but Yura can't move forward until she feels like she deserved it].

Honestly I can't help but feel the rest of them are letting her down a bit, she needs someone to spoiler[talk to her and say that just having fun is okay, they even started a talk by saying that she gave the rest of the team a hard time]. But in general they spoiler[just let her stew in her juices so that the only thing she can trust is how good she is at airsoft]. She finally reached out to Sonora to ask about spoiler[Rin and what she should do, finding out that Rin used have a hard time and told the equivalent that she should do what she wants]. Surprisingly Yura spoiler[decides to move on their club because she thinks she can't get stronger there].

Well although it looks really bad for what spoiler[Yura has been turning into], this might be evidence that she may get some even more major character development. This entire series has actually been one huge character arc, and not been the plain moe military like anime that it could have been, chances are they could have marketed this to the regular otaku better if it had been. Well I don't hate Yura, I can still sympathise with her, I just hope she will eventually make the right decisions.

Oh, and I can't mention the episode without mentioning the not very well thought out food bit.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Oh, and I can't mention the episode without mentioning the not very well thought out food bit.

Yeah, that was also my favorite scene. (But really, that whole spoiler[you get to eat what you shoot with the elaborate bamboo chute network] was seriously demented in a charming way. Seems like a lot of effort for that stunt, though.) Every so often this series pulls off a really good one like that.

The story direction at the end was definitely interesting, too. Although I anticipated a fair amount of the episode, I did not see that last twist coming. The dramatic contrast between Meisei Academy's club activities and Stella's was quite interesting, too, and I'm sure that was intentional. The subtlety of some of the things that this series does makes it easy to underestimate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Well, now. That probably had to happen eventually, as the warning signs have been there for several episodes. spoiler[Yura hasn't so much cured her social dysfunction as morphed it into an entirely different form.] Is this what the series has been implying that Sonora has been sensing all along?

And while the series may not be terribly subtle in the points that it makes, I am quite impressed with how well it is just letting them play out rather than feeling a need to explain them. Classic Gainax fare.

I also fond the Medic game to be an interesting variation on the standard shooter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9