• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece And Mew Mew Power Dropped From 4Kids Schedule

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JosephCain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
Sorry about this long rant... I'll mark the point where it goes off subject about the anime and into culture itself.

Eh... true, I guess. I can see your point on the music, it was pretty good, and I do see a bit of Dragon Ball in One Piece. I just feel that a lot of Luffy's crew are just dead weight compared to the greatness of his Devil Fruit powers. In fact, I believe that Zoro is the only one so far that has beat a Devil Fruit user with actual strong powers without the use of Devil Fruit powers himself.

Still, to me, the series was already screwed up. You think a character was dead, BAM, an episode later they were walking around like nothing happened. Alabasta anyone? Blood flies everywhere in that anime, but the only one really effected by this has been Zoro, and even then, he's usually up and kicking like nothing happened a few episodes later, despite the arc-long ache fest he seemed to have in the Arlong Park Arc.

You're right though, this is the next Dragon Ball, for a new generation of people that can and will love simple action and violence. Teens are ones that really seem to enjoy the action/violence deal.... but I know a 4 year old that loves playing Soul Calibur 2 and Super Smash Bros Melee, and has even said he wanted someone to die. Shocked

Also, I can understand your cries against the butchering they did. They really had no reason to do those bad puns, but so far we've seen them rampant in everything that 4Kids has ever touched. It's like they have the reversal of the Midas Touch. The best thing they ever dubbed was Pokemon, IMHO, and they think by making everything dumbed down they can and adding as much rap into the show, it'll be a success, just like Pokemon.

===========================================================
Thing is, they're scared to progress, and the "Soccer Moms" are going out of control. Over here in the States, everyone's sue happy, Parents expect the television to baby sit their kids for them, not watching what they're watching, then throwing a hissy fit and lawsuits in the faces of the higher ups.

Thing is, they aren't shot down, the execs bend to the will, and the parents see this working, so they throw their weight around anytime they aren't happy, or something offends them. Though, I've seen this sort of mantra from Anime fans as well, whining and crying over the butchering and the censoring, yet when something offends them (jokes especially), they want them censored, or for you to censor yourself for them.

You look back to the past on your favorite shows as a kid, a lot of them have really cornball dialouge and jokes. The companies as well are afraid to deter from this formula, thinking it's a winning formula for all time, yet children/teens are advancing and asking for more, especially with the information they can get over the internet.

Take a look at the Edo Period in Japan, and then the Meiji Period in Japan. Meiji was the biggest influence of Western Culture, and before that, homosexuality was normal and even a more honorable pursuit than heterosexual relations, and they were much more sexually deviant. I think this can show you that the Western Civilization has always been somewhat knock-kneed about sexuality, most likely due to religious teachings and the like.

If you look at the US right now, and in the past, the more we stray from the Church and into the territory of diversity, we become more deviant as well, more accepting to change, new things, different walks of life, and even different sexual relationships as well. I'm not saying this like everyone should just go Athiest, or that the Church is evil and all our problems stem from it, mind you.

Faith is a good thing, it makes people strong, and even motivates them, but at times, it could be the very reason that our society seems to screech to a hault at times.
shuugo100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote
i know my sis watch's it she taped them all and she go's on www.yahoo.com and tip's in tokyo mew mew but she don't like one piece i do :!: [url][/url]
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I can understand why they would be afraid of soccer moms, but honestly... the extent they're taking these edits to is just...

Do you think anybody is going to be offended by that!?
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:21 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:
Do you think anybody is going to be offended by that!?
It could just be a clean up, like with Naruto? I doubt a spot on the lip is any really to really worry about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
It could just be a clean up, like with Naruto? I doubt a spot on the lip is any really to really worry about.

4Kids acquires DVD versions of their shows.

The Japanese shot came from a fansub.

The fansub came from the DVD counterpart.

And given 4Kids, you know, I doubt it.
CanSomebodySayMedic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
My surprise when I found out this news this morning was Mew Mew Power has been #3 on their ratings list (ahead of Magical DoReMi), so it's a surprise to see it being dropped. Could it be because 4K!ds supposedly only has 26 episodes, which means they have 3 left?

As far as One Piece, even though the Chopper story was the most faithfully dubbed, kids know a bad dub. Early rumors state though that One Piece may air new episodes on Toonami once Toonami has caught up (if it doesn't come back to 4K!ds TV).

Then What Does Winx Club Stand On The Raitings?
DoReMi Gets Respect For Being Second Banana!
4Kids Entertainment Is Just Making These Changes For 3 Reasons
1. Fans Of Winx And Bratz Wanted More
2. Dubbing And Editing For One Piece And MewMew Power Still Contiunes
3. Due To The Number Of Hate-Posts At The One Piece Forums (At www.kingofthepirates.com ), They Might Just Canceled Luffy's English-Dubbed Adventures...
Besides, ITALY 4 EVA!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:52 pm Reply with quote
CanSomebodySayMedic wrote:

3. Due To The Number Of Hate-Posts At The One Piece Forums (At www.kingofthepirates.com ), They Might Just Canceled Luffy's English-Dubbed Adventures.....

Man, and I thought we Otaku had problems....WTH are "Pirate Crews" at that forums?
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that One Piece is going. The dub isn't the greatest, yeah, but it's really the only access to the anime available now that 4 Kids licensed it. It would be great if they'd finish releasing the series on uncut DVDs, but that's highly unlikely, considering 4 Kids has mysteriously stopped their releases of uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King DVDs...
OneHotAlchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:39 am Reply with quote
Regardless, 4kids now has 250+ epsidoes of unadulterated flop as far as they're concerned. They'll probably try something on CN, and if they don't get satisfactory results, sit on the license until it expires, or (dunno if this is possible) sell it off and try to make atleast a little money.
professorstone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote
From what I've heard, 4kids tv is taking a break from Mew Mew Power so that they have time to dub more episodes. I have heard nothing on One Piece as of 8:30 this morning, though I would imagine they will bring it back to 4kids eventually. Personally, I can't wait for Mew Mew Power to run again.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Kyuriko wrote:
I'm sad that One Piece is going. The dub isn't the greatest, yeah, but it's really the only access to the anime available now that 4 Kids licensed it. It would be great if they'd finish releasing the series on uncut DVDs, but that's highly unlikely, considering 4 Kids has mysteriously stopped their releases of uncut Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King DVDs...

Get the manga. The general consensus is that it's equal to or better than the anime in quality, plus it's available legally uncut.

I think 4Kids will release One Piece uncut sometime in the future, but really, we still need to fight for it. Especially with this turn of events, where hackjobs (One Piece) have proven not to always be the key to success and proper dubs on TV (Zatch Bell, Naruto) have proven to work just as well. I can understand editing for content or even just to make it seem a little more "American", but the extent 4Kids takes this to is impossibly stupid and makes the whole thing feel as far as it could from being a genuine product.

I know they'll probably try to up the dub's quality on Toonami, which is a good thing, but the only way - and I mean the ONLY way - I'll forgive them for the severe missteps with this dub is if they produce an accurate and GOOD version, not one or the other (if we get a "true" dub with horseshit acting then I'm out). What disappoints me so much about 4Kids is that they can dub like the best (Pokemon Jirachi Wish Maker proves this) and dub like the worst, and unfortunately they think the latter is the way to go. It's sad that a truly amazing dub for One Piece is within their reach, but they won't do it simply because they don't want to, and it speaks volumes about how much they really care about the series they license and the business they're in (what they don't realize is that the only things keeping them afloat are their merchandising deals with Nintendo and American Kennel Club).
Uraj

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:10 am Reply with quote
Kyuriko wrote:

I believe those were licensed by Funimation...at the very least, Shaman King is (I just looked at the box...why did they stop releasing them!? Danmit...misspelling intentional.)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:06 am Reply with quote
Uraj wrote:
Kyuriko wrote:

I believe those were licensed by Funimation...at the very least, Shaman King is (I just looked at the box...why did they stop releasing them!? Danmit...misspelling intentional.)

FUNimation only distributed them, like Viz and One Piece. If they were cancelled, it was at the sayso of 4Kids. As for why.. well, lots of theories are about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4