• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:47 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I also passed Zac and JesuOtaku in the Skybridge on Friday

Should've said hello, man!

Well, you were going a different direction than I was and didn't want to bother you. Frankly, Watamote, excluding the perverted-yet-innocent high school girl (*sigh* if only) elements, is more or less Me: The Animation.

Sailor S wrote:
...Sadly, I was sitting right next to SA in the Vertical panel, and I didn't recognize Bamboo in the audience at all. I guess I was more focused on Ed, and looking around trying to figure out who classicalzawa might be because I was sure she'd be at that panel.

That probably owes to me being rather squat. My line of sight to the stage was half obscured by the heads of the people in front of me, so it was easier for my eyes to wander (although not to search the audience).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
Incidentally, I was King Hippo that attended the ANNCast panel, and that was actually the second ANNCast that I've attended.

I wasn't at the ANNCast, but I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Hilton while waiting for a panel. Nice work.

For reference I was sitting towards the center of the second middle row at the ANN panel. I had a pinkish-red Transformers shirt on, kinda hard to miss, with my height I was probably in a lot of people's line of sight. Saturday I wore a gray shirt with the Autobot symbol on it, and on Sunday it was a Voltron shirt.

BTW, the answer on how to get people to read what you write was spot on (and thanks for the Japanator plug!). It's hard to get noticed writing alone, very few people are successful that way. The best thing to do is either join a group or start your own. I had thought about just making a figure blog, but decided it would be pointless without readers so I joined Tomopop and got an instant reader base. Best thing I could have done for my writing plus it has a lot of perks.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Zac wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:
I also passed Zac and JesuOtaku in the Skybridge on Friday

Should've said hello, man!
For some reason you don't seem as candidly approachable IRL, at AX at least, as you're indicating in the forums or at Otakon. And you even said Otakon was rough for you, or something like that. Honestly I find you to be quite aloof-ish. No offense though.

None taken, I have a wall of indifference up that makes me not very approachable. Hope's with me most of the time though now and she's all smiles so you should come say hello if you see us!
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Otaku USA has published an interesting perspective on Otakon 20.

Zac wrote:
None taken, I have a wall of indifference up that makes me not very approachable. Hope's with me most of the time though now and she's all smiles so you should come say hello if you see us!

She raises your visibility too. I actually recognized only her, from her videos, and extrapolated that the man walking alongside was you, not really knowing until the ANN panel later that day.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
(I'll be honest...I wanted Gyo: Tokyo Fish Attack.)

Me too, man... Me too. I was sad to see it go to someone else. Granted, I ended up not getting for my question in the first place (it was about the prospect of a con doing a roast for someone in the industry [naturally, someone in the crowd immediately suggested Lance]), but I still would have loved to get Gyo. It just looks so utterly bad that it has to be amazing to watch.

(For those who are curious, I was the guy in the black & purple Hawaiian shirt & Terry Bogard hat; the Hawaiian shirts are becoming my go-to con outfits)

Anyway, it was cool to finally see the ANN crew (at least, four of them) in person. I will agree with others in that Zac doesn't always seem like the easiest person to initiate conversation with, it was the same with me (though I did say "Hi", at least), but I wouldn't doubt that it was also the fact that it was nearing midnight & the panel needed to get ready. I didn't talk to Hope, though looking back I probably should have said something, if only for simple conversation's sake. She looked pretty bored before the panel started, after all.

Bamboo, though, was just an outright pleasure to talk to, even if was only for about a minute or so. All I said to her was that I liked her work & that I had spoken with Zac & Justin on a couple call-out shows & she instantly wanted to know more about me! A total sweetheart & absolutely easy to approach. Justin was also really easy to talk to & get into a conversation with. We were able to essentially get right into conversing about obscure anime (California Crisis & Eat-Man, specifically), and even a joke or two was tossed about in only a couple of minutes. What surprised me most about Justin, though, was simply how in shape he was; I wasn't expecting an out-of-shape guy, but I certainly wasn't expecting him to be as "toned" (I used that exact word when telling him how surprised I was by how he looked) as he was. Even after the panel Justin was just as cool to talk to, and I even got a photo with him & Daryl (fitting, since I highly doubt I'd see them as often at cons as I likely would someone like Mike Toole or Ed Chavez) & requested a potential title for Pile of Shame that he could tackle someday.

If anything, the ANNCast panel made me want to meet more of the ANN crew in person one day.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
One important thing to keep in mind is that immediately before and after a panel, especially ANNCast, I am preoccupied with setting up or breaking down. Especially after ANNCast, I have to rush to make sure the audio's saved and then quickly break down the equipment so we can clear the room. If I seem a little preoccupied, it's because I am. Smile
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
If I seem a little preoccupied, it's because I am. Smile

That's what I thought, hence why I only wanted to say "hi" before the panel. Shame that the panel wasn't captured, because it was a fun time.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(it was about the prospect of a con doing a roast for someone in the industry [naturally, someone in the crowd immediately suggested Lance])
On that, I truly hope that someone else in the industry were instead "roasted" as I believe that the "roastee" needs to have a sort of back-'n-forth with the "roasters" for a roast to be great and I don't think that Lance is the guy for that.
Quote:
Especially after ANNCast, I have to rush to make sure the audio's saved and then quickly break down the equipment so we can clear the room.
I don't believe that words can convey how hard it is for me to not respond to this in a snarky manner, considering... Laughing
RuriKidA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Great job at Otakon! Though I was really feeling exhausted and overwhelmed by the time the panel started as this was my first ever attendance at an anime convention, you guys kept me awake and entertained! I signed up just to say that. Shame that the audio was lost.

And thanks to the King Hippo cosplayer who allowed me to take a photo of you after the panel ended! You are awesome, really nailed the look!

Oh, and I second Justin's highly positive assessment of Chaps Pit Bull. My brother and I stopped by the place on our way back home after Otakon ended Sunday afternoon. I believe I ordered the same sandwich that Justin said he ordered on tonight's podcast. SOOO GOOOOD.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:45 am Reply with quote
I was going to stop and say "hello" as well except I'm a cat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3