• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 3 Teens Arrested for Shoplifting 1st 57 One Piece Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
coral422 wrote:
Don't be so harsh people, they're just keeping the pirate spirit alive, that's all

Laughing Yup! It's One Piece, yo! It's about pirates!

Seriously, I feel bad for these kids. 17 and working in construction, the other kid working part-time, and the third kid just listed as "unemployed". None of them are in school? They're obviously not on the college track, which seems harder to stay on in Japan than in the U.S. Does Japan have community colleges and any kind of "work your way up" system?

Someone up the thread noted that having a criminal record would keep these kids from getting A-list jobs. I don't think they thought that they would ever be eligible for A-list jobs. Sad

Well, thank goodness for all the wonderful public library systems within the U.S., which is how I read the majority of my manga! That is 'till all the states lose money and shuts them all down, anyway! Twisted Evil
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote
My thoughts are, when you pirate downloadable files, half the illegality is completed for you. I'm not talking so much about torrenting and IRC-type things; they're just as bad, but generally they require a slight bit more finesse than say, the overflowing abundance of DDL sites, which I think are the worst of the current problem as far as a gateway to passive piraters. Case in point, type in the name of any popular recently released song or album, and append 'mediafire', in Google. I guarantee you will find what you're looking for without even reloading the page.

What I'm saying is, with this sort of easy-chair pirating, it's the same as someone else waltzing into a store, maybe or maybe not buying a manga, and then leaving it on a folding table on the sidewalk for people to take, except that the book also respawns every time somebody takes one. Whoever left the book there knew this would happen, and it's a lot more easy and thoughtless for passersby to just pick up a copy. They might be aware they're doing something wrong, but they aren't thinking too hard about it.

Physically going into a store and doing the shoplifting yourself, however, is a whole new can of worms, and if you want to attribute this to a sense of 'entitlement,' do not try and link it to internet piracy. Shoplifting and other forms of thievery were aroung long before the web.

Also, @coral422, I lol'd.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:

You know, I always wondered about that myself. Why is it that DVD/Blu-Rays cost so much in Japan? Last time I visited a Gamers store in Kyoto, I was stunned by the prices. How is it that manga is cheap and anime is expensive in Japan, but when translated/localized/distributed overseas manga becomes a little more expensive and anime cheaper? Is it just the nature of the markets, or the product? It's kinda strange, to be honest.

In Japan, manga is bought by everyone; only otaku buy anime. Ergo, the price discrepancy.

In America, pretty much only fans buy manga and anime, and the prices are what fans would support. There's not enough people for the manga to be as cheap as Japan's, but there's also not as otaku-stupid for the anime to be as premium as Japan's.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote
What dumbass stealing that much at once how wouldnt you get caught
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
But what I don't get is if they weren't ever going to buy the manga anyway, why did they steal it instead of reading online?

I am not saying it's right to do either, but stealing the manga will give you a instant police record, while reading it online may or may not get a police record.

Also, where were there parents during this whole time? I can't imagine them being proud in the least that their sons did this. I know if I was their parent, I'd be wondering what I did wrong or how it can came down to this.

I wouldn't blame the manga though, because that is just plain stupid. As even though the manga is about pirates, that doesn't mean you should actually steal or mimic any action of the characters.

What is with young people these days, I know I never acted like this back in my youth. Times change I guess.

Edit: Agent355: That was me who mentioned a criminal record restricting them for A list work. I said elite jobs, but they mean the same thing.
shasunatang

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Why are some people blaming this on piracy? Shoplifting existed before illegal downloading. I don't see anyone showing any proof that rise of piracy has made people shoplift more.
JDuks

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Piracy is closer to buying knock-off merchandise than physical theft. It's still a crime, but you can't say it's directly related to lost sales because you're implying that people who pirate would actually legally purchase the merchandise had it not been pirated.

Physical Theft
You wake up one morning, and your car isn't there. You find out your neighbor has your car. You now no longer have a car.

Piracy
You wake up one morning to find that your neighbor has more-or-less the same car as you, but he did not pay for it (or did not pay nearly as much). You still have your car.

Piracy is still a crime, but you can't put it on the same level as physical theft.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Though, I would argue piracy is much, much worse. With physical theft, at least lost sales are limited to the stolen books. With piracy, one upload can lose sales to millions of otherwise potential customers.
I think the whole "one download equals one lost sale" is a bit of furphy. There is no evidence that those downloading would have bought the product in question anyway (still, I agree it has had quite an effect on film and music industries, less so on publishing ). Also for retailers, theft is a major problem. There's the cost of replacing the stolen item and of course the course of security. Everyone pays for this via costs included in the store's price of goods to cover for security and stolen merchandise.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
shasunatang wrote:
Why are some people blaming this on piracy

Easy scapegoat to fuel strawman fallacies.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I love how the very first post here is idiotic soapboxing about online piracy.
I'm not saying piracy is good,but why are half the threads on here (or any other manga board) full of 12 year olds arguing about laws none of them fully understand?

I'm a member of several forums. On the scfi forums,we discuss scifi movies. On the comic book forums we discuss comics. On the game forums we discuss games. On the manga/anime forums people (sadly I'm sure at least some are adults) post nonsense like “Am I not supporting the industry enough because I go to the library?” or “Should I feel guiltier using hulu instead of netflix?” and other people (again I hope they're all minors but you KNOW some are adult basement dwellers) degrade them for not sending their entire paycheck straight to Funimation.
In fact,now that I said Funi,someone's going to flame me since you REALLY should import from Japan to support the industry,then someone will disagree,then on and on.

Back on topic,why the hell did they think 57 volumes wouldn't raise an eyebrow?!?!
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:56 pm Reply with quote
@Teriyaki Terrier: My joke about stealing manga about pirates notwithstanding, I don't condone these kids' actions. Call me a bleeding heart, but I see it more as a cry for help. 3 boys walk into a store and try to steal what is easily and cheaply available elsewhere (via manga cafes, libraries, heck, even collecting copies of Jump on recycling day). That's kind of sad, no matter what they're motives were.

Maybe they wanted the thrill of shoplifting; maybe they wanted to resell the books and make a quick buck...it's sad no matter how you look at it.

Aren't they minors, though? Why would this go on their permanent records if they're under 18? Or is 17 the age of majority in Japan?
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
shasunatang wrote:

What? That, sir, is itself a strawman fallacy! Laughing Noone is blaming piracy for anything, they're merely comparing physical theft with online piracy, and the ironic attitudes of the people who commit it. Both are forms of stealing that ultimately hurt the author, except that online pirates are less easily prosecutable and tend to indignantly justify their actions. I think it's a fair comparison.

Perhaps you guys should substantiate your casual ad hominem claims with logic before indiscriminately casting blanket judgments? Otherwise your opinion comes off as pretentious, perfunctory, or just plain intellectually lazy.
Mikuru

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:56 pm Reply with quote
From my understanding, used manga is pretty darn cheap in Japan. Plus, One Piece is the most popular manga over there so it's not like something OOP or rare. So, why didn't they just buy it used?
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
shasunatang wrote:

What? That, sir, is itself a strawman fallacy! Laughing Noone is blaming piracy for anything, they're merely comparing physical theft with online piracy, and the ironic attitudes of the people who commit it. Both are forms of stealing that ultimately hurt the author, except that online pirates are less easily prosecutable and tend to indignantly justify their actions. I think it's a fair comparison.

Perhaps you guys should substantiate your casual ad hominem claims with logic before indiscriminately casting blanket judgments? Otherwise your opinion comes off as pretentious, perfunctory, or just plain intellectually lazy.

tl;dr, Leo likes to sound intellectual by using buzz words and not really saying much of anything.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Both are forms of stealing that ultimately hurt the author, except that online pirates are less easily prosecutable and tend to indignantly justify their actions. I think it's a fair comparison.
You're wrong here. If I steal manga from a physical store, the shop has already purchased the manga from the distributor/publisher. So in this case stealing the manga from the shop really has no effect on the artist. They've already given the royalties to the artist because the publisher/distributor has got their money from the shop. The one hurt here is the retailer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5