• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Anti-Piracy Act from U.S. Congress Leaked

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetto

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
If you want to watch unlicensed stuff that bad then move to Japan. Otherwise, stop QQing. It is not your God-given right to watch unlicensed anime.

EDIT: or licensed anime, for that matter...
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:33 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
It is not your God-given right to watch unlicensed anime.

Oh, have I heard that 1 trillion times by now. This bloody piracy discussion is like a football match where players only keep passing the ball and never do anything besides that.

Come on, let's state something more obvious than that. Oh, wait, there's none.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:39 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
That's what I am talking about. America F*** Yeah!
Is this a Team America reference I just read?

You, sir, have just won the topic. Laughing
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:20 am Reply with quote
Ah....whatever. I've had a rough week with an inflamed wisdom tooth and little sleep. I'm too tired to think up something cleverly ignorant.

Somebody think up something to troll with for me.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
It is not your God-given right to watch unlicensed anime.

I know, but I don't care. That argument doesn't really help anyone.

enurtsol wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
I don't get what the big deal is. People will continue to make fansubs, and I will continue to download them. What happenes in America is of no concern to anyone but americans, or people who have their sites on American servers.

Or aggregator sites or torrent index sites that use any company (web ads, financial transactions, donations, etc.) that does business in America.

If that would stop anime streaming sites like anime***.com, watchanime***.com, etc. then it doesn't matter. For what I know, donation isn't what really drives fansubbers. I live in a place where less than half of CR's simulcast are available in my country. I watch what I can watch on Crunchyroll.

Also, there are advertisment and online-transfer companies outside the US.

What Zac said: The ones who should be punished are the ones profiting from piracy.

Off-Topic: There are other issues in the net that the US Government doesn't seem to address like Malware, stealing of credit card info, Phising, which is also damaging to the economy.

Also, would this also affect sites like Danbooru or Gelbooru?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote
Laughing And the little leeches thought it would never happen? That the industry would allow billions to leak away without doing something about it? That's what they get for staying in their darkened room too long. Laughing

I wonder how much taxpayers money they spent just thinking up a title to come up with that acronym? Wink
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

I wonder how much taxpayers money they spent just thinking up a title to come up with that acronym? Wink
Money well spent, since that's pretty much the greatest acronym ever created in the history of mankind and the universe. Laughing
Shale

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
I'm fine with fighting piracy, but the presumption of guilt in PROTECT IP is a big, big problem. A law that allows the government to seize someone's property and block their income with no opportunity for them to defend themselves? Hopefully somebody remembers the Fifth Amendment exists.
Relmstein1

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:29 am Reply with quote
This law is mainly for the American music and movie industry and I'm not sure how quickly the justice department would act on websites that traded in IP like anime. Maybe at a decent pace if there was a license holder in America.

It's understandable why some people ignore the damage that piracy does to the industry and wrongly feel that watching fansubs is a god given right guaranteed by the constitution. The RIAA and MPAA have pretty much written every copyright law for the last 50 years. General copyright gets extended by the industry whenever one of their golden gooses gets close to entering the public domain. Just look up the "mickey mouse curve" on any search engine.

The obvious manipulation and stealing from the public domain done by these lobbyist groups pretty much form the public's moral compass on respecting copyright. While anime companies aren't directly involved with manipulating legislature, their prices before the internet piracy boom were insane. It obvious that a lot of them would like to focus on charging a large amount for their product to a small niche of customers.

If PROTECT IP passed and every illegal method of getting anime was shut down, how long before legal simulcasts would follow? How long before 50$ box sets became rare instead of the standard?
John Casey

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:36 am Reply with quote
Jetto wrote:
If you want to watch unlicensed stuff that bad then move to Japan. Otherwise, stop QQing. It is not your God-given right to watch unlicensed anime.

*illicitly streams some animu from some shady site*

Whaddya know. I just did it. Of my own free will. So, I guess it IS god-given.
Shale

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Jetto wrote:

So anything it's physically possible for you to do is a God-given right? Does that include stabbing people?

(The above is not intended to imply that media piracy and assault are similar except inasmuch as they are (a) not particularly nice things to do and (b) still humanly possible)
Palefire

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Jetto wrote:

You must not know what the word "right" means. Razz Just because you do something of your own free will doesn't make it your right to do so.

<3
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote
I think the main purpose of this bill is to stop those from profiting from piracy and less of a purpose to stop piracy as a whole, since the latter is impossible. After many years, the US government is still having difficulty stopping music piracy and with movie/TV piracy on the rise, it should be obvious that it's going to be just as or more difficult.

The people who are really wrong are those personally profiting off this opportunity as an arbitrage to some extent, which by definition of both economic theory and international law, arbitrage is illegal and thus non-existent in a fair market. While arbitrage is not really illegal, it's illegal in the context being discussed here.

In addition, in the context of anime and manga, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Why? First of all, this is the US we're talking about. The market for this is already small and growing smaller each year since its peak in 2005. Not to mention that the average US consumers to date still don't give a damn as to what happens to the industry, so chances are this is not going to be a priority anyways. It will be a long ways off before the US takes any sort of action on this industry, if ever. Secondly, the anime/manga industry is deeply tied with the status of the industry in Japan. In Japan, the industry is still at a low. Not an all-time low, but certainly nowhere near the levels of a few years ago. With that said, this greatly influences not only what anime is produced, but also what titles we get and how successful they really are for the target audience here, which in turn ties back to my first point.

Looking at it from the "worst-case" scenario where US makes this a top priority, I would first of all find it very retarded since the US should be taking action on more important issues. Secondly, it's not going to stop fansubs. Fansubbers have received C&Ds, BayTSP warnings, DMCA notices, etc... and how many of them (the noticeable ones) have actually been shut down because of it? Fansub groups come and go so its not like they're never will be one so long as there is at least one series out there left untranslated....and again, given how poor the US has been able to stop music piracy, its difficult to believe that they will be able to remain vigilant after passing the bill to stop this entirely.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Jetto wrote:

So anything it's physically possible for you to do is a God-given right? Does that include stabbing people?

(The above is not intended to imply that media piracy and assault are similar except inasmuch as they are (a) not particularly nice things to do and (b) still humanly possible)

except the fact that when you stab someone, no doubt, there is damage that happened.
Palefire

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

The problem is that at the same time, they'll be shutting off people from watching new anime that airs in Japan. Some of it will be picked up by Crunchy, sure, but the majority of it will never be shown in legal ways, nor be licensed here, so pirating it is the only way we can ever see those types of shows. By cutting it off (hypothetically speaking), it would have no advantage to the anime industry in the west at all.

Are you under the impression that the US industry is still being 'helped' by fansubs? Or that you having limitless illegal access to everything that airs on Japanese TV, licensed or no, is somehow beneficial to anyone but you?

...not that i don't already know what the response to these questions are

Why would people buy stuff blindly without trying it first? I know I, and many people, would never have bought a good amount of our anime series without any prior watching of it. 50-60 bucks is a lot to spend just because it has a nice box art.

"Blind buying" is what you do for almost ANYTHING you get. I see the trailer for a movie, it looks good, I go pay to see it. Anime is no different. You don't inherently possess the right to view an entire product (which people use to make a LIVING and provide for a family) and THEN decide whether you want to buy it. Because you've already gotten the full experience of it. It's not like it's going to be any different the second time you watch it. Even then, you could just load up that AVI file and give it another go. Movie pirating is ridiculous. I know a lot of you say you watch a series then if you like it you buy it, and I'm the same way. But for everyone like me, I know 5+ guys who aren't the same way, who never pay a cent for media. They watch every movie that comes out, every anime series they can find, read scans online of licensed material, and never buy a single item in support of the industry or the creators. I don't see anyone complaining that they have to pay for a movie ticket BEFORE they see the movie. You don't get to eat the entire meal before you decide whether or not to buy it. No one seems to be complaining that they have to commit to buying the meal they're about to eat BEFORE they get to eat it. Some places are kind enough to give you a sample to try before you buy it. Just like trailers. So you've got an idea what you're getting into. It's not blind buying. It's what people have done for years and years and years before online piracy was even an option.

A lot of you who are in favor of piracy are looking at it from a selfish perspective. Think about the guys and girls making the stuff. That's how they feed their kids. Yes, you should have to pay for the right to view their artwork. You shouldn't be allowed to view an anime series before buying it, just like you shouldn't be able to watch a movie before deciding whether you want to pay for the ticket. So yes, one would expect someone to "blind buy" (although it's honestly never that blind because people watch trailers, or read reviews of it so they have a good idea of what they're getting when they throw down the $$$) entertainment products. It's not as "blind" as you seem to think it is. But if people don't get paid for their work, they can't make a living from it, and then the work stops and no one has anything to watch, legally or otherwise. Anime is a business. And as others have already pointed out, the notion that piracy =/= lost sales is speculative, but it stands to reason that in many cases it actually does. For as many people there are like those of us who make purchases after seeing a series on television or that we downloaded, there are a lot more who don't, and majority is what makes business go. They download the music, put it on their ipod, and that's that. They download the anime, they watch it, it's on their HD forever. Why pay for it, you've already got it. That's the general attitude. It's selfish, and it does, in fact, hurt sales. The problem isn't just piracy, it's how big it's gotten. It's the whole internet culture. It's so EASY to pirate the stuff, so now it's not some underground thing. It's EVERYONE doing it that's hurting the industries (anime/manga, movies, music). It's so common now days. That's just how people get their stuff. They download it. It's free and they don't have to leave their house to do it.

That said, I agree that the US is going about this thing the wrong way. Instead of trying to attack every site and take it over, shut it down, whatever, they should be trying to work towards making it a form of e-commerce, settings these streaming sites up so that they charge a fee for viewers (like some legal sites already do) and a portion of that goes to creators. Things like that. Instead of just trying to wipe out digital downloading altogether because that, in this day in age, will never.ever.happen.

Last edited by Palefire on Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9