• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network, Viz Launch Free Broadband Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
domino

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Prince of Tennis licensed... the day has finally come...

Hopefully they'll treat it better than the manga. Viz's version of the manga is the worst manga translation I've ever read. They can't even properly translate things that were in English in the original manga... (such as Ryoma's "Drive B"). The fact that the English manga won't even call Ryoma's team "Seigaku" when it's written on their jerseys and EVERYWHERE ELSE is also annoying. They'd confuse a lot less people if they'd just translate what's already there with a few notes instead of trying to change it... they kept getting names wrong too... ugh. I hope the dub goes well, but if it's anything like the manga, I doubt it...
ryusaki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:29 pm Reply with quote
MAR,Prince of Tennis,and Hikaru No Go are some series I been a bit intrested in( HNG..well its Dub.. might kill me now!) Then seeing IGPX and.. wait!? Jack!? ...Sweetness. and who would want to watch Naruto!? Razz yet? Megaman NT Warrior?.. well Uncut at least1? ..I'm a fan of Hikaru No Go so.. I hope the "Show" in general doesn't let down. MAR,very intresting,FMA meets Escaflowne? sounds like it a bit. then Prince of Tennis.. I don't have to say anything.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Hikaru No Go, Prince of Tennis, MAR, and Zoids Genesis are all series that I would like to see. This means even if the DVD's come out slowly, I'll get to watch them on a consistent basis. What a great way to make the Toonami website useful (they're already doing this with Transformers Cybertron commerical free), and this will only make it better.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
1) what is MAR?
2)Naruto, IGPX, will they be in edited or uncut format? (yes, IGPX was edited, despite having been made for toonami...)

I'll watch HNG and PoT if the dubs aren't too bad and Naruto and IGPX if they're uncut but i think I'll avoid Megaman, Samurai Jack and Zoids.
Alex K.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Please don't look forward to the dub...I assure you you will be terribly disappointed if you do.

Stop telling people what they should and shouldn't like. If you don't like the dub, that's your opinion. Don't force it on others.
hikaru393

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Alex K. wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Please don't look forward to the dub...I assure you you will be terribly disappointed if you do.

Stop telling people what they should and shouldn't like. If you don't like the dub, that's your opinion. Don't force it on others.
he is warning him the hikaru no go dub is really awful they have a guy who sounds gay play sai akira sounds awful and the VA take all the emotion out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
MAR is the second series by Flame of Recca creator Nobuyuki Anzai. The basic plot is about a kid that ends up in a fairy tale world and has to fight to save it from an evil force. Kinda basic. The mechanics of it are that they fight using "ARMS", which are rings, chains, or other artifacts that are enchanted to produce weapons, summoned creatures, magical effects, etc. for use in their battles (similar to Flame of Recca's Madogu).

I prefer the manga to the anime, but the anime is pretty good too (although the CG Guardian Arms seem fairly out of place). It's worth checking out.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
And the hits just keep on coming. I'm surprised Marchen is on the list. (It does stand for Marchen Awakens Romance or something like that, right?)

This seems to come out of the "This Was Going to Happen Eventually" department, seeing as Adult Swim's stream is mad popular. Now if only Viz can find a dub studio in the Continuous 48 States.... Wink

Oh, if Bleach weren't being shown late nights, what a rigamorole this would be.
Talon87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
I agree that people shouldn't say, "You WON'T like the dub." That does sound a bit forced or predeterministic. But to be fair, if you do like Hikaru no Go and have seen it already fansubbed or raw, you will be surprised when you hear Touya Akira's voice actor. I know I was. The original had so much believable angst and passion in his voice. The keyword is "believable." You never thought you were listening to an actor pretend to voice an angry, confused, or sad child -- you thought you were watching that child actually go through these emotions onscreen. I think the spot-on voice acting for Hikaru no Go is a large part of what made it so powerful, even emotional for the audience towards the later episodes of the series. And it is a fact (not an opinion) that the delivery of Touya's voice (among many others) is, for lack of a word that you won't dislike, irremovably changed from the original.

You are correct that a person may actually prefer the new voice acting. I agree, certainly. But unless you've heard both the original voices and the new ones, I'd defer a little respect to the experience of those who have. Anyway, it shouldn't be long now before you'll be able to hear it for yourself. That is, if you're not willing to risk $30 on purchasing the first HnG DVD right now. Wink
Alex K.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:42 am Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
Alex K. wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

he is warning him the hikaru no go dub is really awful they have a guy who sounds gay play sai akira sounds awful and the VA take all the emotion out of it.

So? That doesn't mean you should tell everyone to hate it, even though they probably will. You're not right about everything, you know. There's something called OPINION, and whether or not everyone agrees, you still have no right to assume your opinion is fact.

Joe Mello wrote:
This seems to come out of the "This Was Going to Happen Eventually" department, seeing as Adult Swim's stream is mad popular. Now if only Viz can find a dub studio in the Continuous 48 States....

I might be missing something here, but aren't all the dub studios besides Ocean (which is in Canada) in the U.S.?
mmangelly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who like to watch my anime in english and then in Japanese. I don't think the Hikaru No Go dub is that bad. It takes getting used to at first but it grows on you...like Tenchi or D.N.Angel.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I just hope their viewable in Canada. There are a few Broadband TV systems either starting up or have started up, but at least one doesn't allow Canadian (or international) access.
ryusaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
MAR is the second series by Flame of Recca creator Nobuyuki Anzai. The basic plot is about a kid that ends up in a fairy tale world and has to fight to save it from an evil force. Kinda basic. The mechanics of it are that they fight using "ARMS", which are rings, chains, or other artifacts that are enchanted to produce weapons, summoned creatures, magical effects, etc. for use in their battles (similar to Flame of Recca's Madogu).

I prefer the manga to the anime, but the anime is pretty good too (although the CG Guardian Arms seem fairly out of place). It's worth checking out.
ye-ah.. like I said, sounds like a FMAxEscaflowne hybrid.. yet for.. abit younger!
hikaru393

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
anyone know if the prince of tennis will have a dvd release?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ohoni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
It really has almost nothing to do with FMA or Escaflowne. If anything it's more of a Flame of Recca/Fables combo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3