• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds 2011 Fullmetal Alchemist Film, Is this a Zombie?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:22 pm Reply with quote
My big question is just how the hell are they going to translate "Masou Shoujo"
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Kore wa Zombie Desuka? is ecchi? News to me. The show is a big ball of parody and snark that plays on many anime tropes. Zombies, of course, as well as magical girls, vampire ninjas (hey, they put 2 tropes together there), the immortal male protector who occasionally gets blown up (3x3 Eyes, anyone), horror in general, etc.

Personally, I'd be more excited about a second season (assuming the light novels have enough plot to support it) than this, but I'm curious about the dub. It's a fun show! Laughing

The FMA movie on the other hand...I love FMA to pieces, but if you've seen one shonen filler movie, you've seen them all. I'm glad they got it, but I doubt it'll be an Oscar contender (like Summer Wars was).

Unless Hiromu Arakawa worked on the plot or the script, I'll wait 'till the reviews come in before I decide to watch it.

I would like those Brotherhood OVAs, though!
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
opn wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
Oh wow, that was quick on the license of Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? Is this the first fully announced license of the Q1 2011 anime season thus far, then...?

Hope this isn't the only big license of that season they're looking at... (OBVIOUS WINK WINK OBVIOUS NUDGE NUDGE)

actually no. kore wa zombie desu ka isnt the first big license this year. that title belongs to fairy tail. anyway quite happy about kroe loved the seires when it was airing so i'll be buying it when its released. the fma brotherhood was no surprise. Laughing

Fairy Tail is a license of the 48 episodes that aired from Fall 2009 to Fall 2010... thats not a 2011 license, so thats the wrong answer to his question.

oh i thought he was talking about new licenses this year my mistake.
Quote:
Why won't they get Deadman Wonderland?

waaaaay too soon for deadman. considering the manga was selling quite well for tokyopop funi would be stupid not to license it.

Just because the manga doesn't sell well doesn't mean that the anime won't either. Too soon for Deadman Wonderland? What kind of BS is that? Sentai was able to get a hold of the license for Yumekui Merry and it hasn't even been out for more than a year. :/
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Kore wa Zombie Desuka? is ecchi? News to me.

-Watches Episode 12-

Uh huh.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Zombie was a lot of fun, but I was disappointed that the lens flare censoring were still there on the Japanese DVDs. Either remove those for the DVD releases, or animate the show in a way that avoids the need of censoring in the first place.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation Adds 2011 Fullmetal Alchemist Film, Is this a Zombie?

Um, who's proofreading at ANN? Or is it some subtle joke that i'm not getting?
Altorrin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

Funimation has licensed a FMA film, this film will be released in 2011. They have also licensed Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? (English title: "Is This A Zombie?").

Though, if you want, you can take it as a subtle poke at the way the FMA franchise.just.won't.die. (j/k, FMA fan here.)
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
OMG YAY! Now just license the Brotherhood OVA's and the 4-koma theater shorts and my life will be complete!

yea we need dubs for those OVAs Smile.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is this a Zombie?

I feel like I can say with some certainty that it is not. In fact, I don't believe it bears any resemblance to a zombie whatsoever.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Quote:

I don't think it's either initially. I think that is the translated name for that moe Zombie series.

However, after thinking about it for a little while, I do think there is subtle joke here. If I had to guess, I'd say it a reference to the fact some of the enemies that Ed and Alphonse were defeated before, but somehow revived. Thus potentially making them zombies in the end?

Or maybe it's a joke that is talking about the series itself.

Either way, who ever wrote the article sure has a sense of humor.

The Full Metal Alchemist movie is about the only license that interests me. But that is all right, Funimation has licensed some great series recently, so it's all good.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:07 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Not only are they NOT releasing the plethora of shit they licensed like a year ago (Index, Hellsing, Black Lagoon, etc...), but they have to license THIS crap?
Did you know that all of the shows you named are Geneon-Universal titles? That's part of the problem right there. Lots of added red tape from the merger, lots of production material delays probably as well both before and after the disasters. Not to mention it's possible that the post-merger company is still internally debating how to proceed with licenses.

Then there's the fact that the economy turned to shite. Sure we've understood that's had an impact from the beginning but consider this: during that same time, the company was put up for sale. So Funi's been trying to really get things good on the books. In part that's led to a slowdown of releases and being more cautious overall.

There's also the issue of dub parity since few if any of the VAs involved with the English dubs for some of the shows work for Funi. Plus there could be issues with the Japanese on rights to things like Blu-ray. Funi's made some statements about really wanting to push combo Blu-ray and DVD releases so if the Japanese are hesititating on Blu-ray rights (remember we share a region on that one) then that could be a problem too.

The FMA movie is a guaranteed hit and Zombie's gotten a lot of praise and fans, implying it would be a good license. Plus it's a bit of a surprise license that will get some attention. Neither series comes with the same headaches as the ones you mentioned.

I'd look to next year for the Geneon stuff to show up. There's a lot going on with those series.

Sparvid wrote:
Zombie was a lot of fun, but I was disappointed that the lens flare censoring were still there on the Japanese DVDs. Either remove those for the DVD releases, or animate the show in a way that avoids the need of censoring in the first place.
Maybe the lens flare was meant to be part of the show's art style and not merely a censor? I mean, this is the first time I've heard of an ecchi series keeping sensors on the DVDs.

@ Baby Naruto: You post truth. FMA OVAs cry out for English dubbing.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Is This a Zombie? is licensed, but of all of anime licensee, FUNi had to license this anime? I was expecting Sentai Filmworks to license this anime. :/ Guess that means we wait for at least a year or so before being released on DVDs/BD.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
NJ_ wrote:

This!

I wouldn't mind seeing another release similar to how they released the original OVAs.

Same!

Totally, I wouldn't mind that at all, I hope we get them.

Even if it was a given, glad to see the early confirmation on the upcoming FMA movie, can't wait to see it.

Richard J. wrote:
@ Baby Naruto: You post truth. FMA OVAs cry out for English dubbing.

Thirded Smile

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun May 22, 2011 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
tangytangerine

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My big question is just how the hell are they going to translate "Masou Shoujo"

Probably just as "Magical Girl".

Dark Absol wrote:
I'm glad that Is This a Zombie? is licensed, but of all of anime licensee, FUNi had to license this anime? I was expecting Sentai Filmworks to license this anime. :/ Guess that means we wait for at least a year or so before being released on DVDs/BD.

Yeah, this is one that felt like something Sentai would pick up. Considering Funi doesn't license as many ecchi-type shows compared to them.

It does make me wonder if it will be uncensored. As Haruna was nude in a few scenes in a couple of the episodes and it felt like some of the violence was cut out. Also hopefully, the license also allows them to bundle the OVA due out next month in japan into the set.

Last edited by tangytangerine on Sun May 22, 2011 3:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:56 am Reply with quote
tangytangerine wrote:
Considering Funi tends to stay away from the ecchi-type shows.

Which FUNI would that be? You're not talking about the one that licensed Sekirei, Vampire Bund, Index, Railgun, Freezing, two seasons of Heaven's Lost Property, Master of Martial Hearts, RIN, two seasons of Rosario + Vampire, and several others all in the last few years are you? Zombie is pretty mild compared to several of those. FUNi has a clean image because they do so many kid's shows, but they're from being strangers to a lot of skin and full nudity.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5