• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Aria the Scarlet Ammo Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The novels are actually quite good. The show is just terrible. Lots of unnecessary garbage thrown in and poor animation all around for a J.C. Staff show. And here I thought Bakuman's animation was J.C. Staff scraping the bottom of their animation budget. It's unfortunate, but because the show is only 12 episodes and how slow it's moving, I doubt that we'll come even close to getting to the good stuff happening in the novels.

Either way, I kinda figured that this show is really just stalling time for Shakugan no Shana III. Still waiting for that novel to end.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
But what about the parachute scene!!! Laughing

Oh, that made me Laughing, thank you for sharing! Very Happy

I agree! Anime continues to amaze me...
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
As usual, my second favorite show of the season (after A Channel, which ANN probably didn't/won't consider review-worthy) get's a terrible rating. I should probably start sifting through older reviews and look into the other poorly rated shows.

As for this one, I understand it has some plot flaws, but that's nothing 7 more episodes can't fix. And it's still entertaining enough to keep me interested regardless.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Should've known this was my penchant for bad shows when I was in after the first episode.

I was fine with (and somewhat suspected) the choice for Lupin. Their choice for Butei Killer, however, left me scratching my head with sooo many questions. Have to agree with Carl on wondering why Aria is in DiD-mode so often. Maybe some sort of "sidekick" redemption angle where Watson is the real hero/protagonist?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:22 am Reply with quote
I dropped the show after it's second horrific episode, and said I might pick it up if it got licensed, three days later funi announced the simulcast, and I was like great, well I might as well show them some support so I watched episode 3 and I hated the first half, and then I actually liked the second half and thought the show might have a chance then the despite the crazed killer being over done like most things in this show (it has the only character I honestly can not stand in the slightest the childhood shrine maiden friend) I am a sucker for holmes and watson and they actually do pull of that part with some degree of success (so the source material may not be as bad as the show, but it would still have to be poor). however it does rip stuff right out of conans movie playbook (not even the actual authors work but non-cannon stuff), then there are worse things then the uniform parachute (which is not as crazy as you would think.) and then the 6th episode goes back to being bad
MarkJr92892

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
MarkJr92892 wrote:
It's hard to beleive that no one else has posted saying they love this show yet, so... Aria the Scarlet Ammo is GREAT!!! Razz

I LOVE the exagerated clichés and the constant straight man in Aria the Scarlet Ammo. Really, I love all slapstick gag animes with a straight man that does not change from being one character to another and then another. Me, I judge slapstick gag animes by how well they weave the gags into a story. This one is flowing smoothly. The pattern in the cloth is not as interesting as that in We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky, but it is still of appreciable quality. This show evokes almost constant out-loud laughter from me. As well, it keeps me interested in what wil happen next in the story without becoming irritated even with its abundance of echi gags before it. I find the interactions between the straight man and the—as it was said in SKET Dance—"goofy people" to be scincere when appropriate for a slapstick gag anime.

In the end, I think you guys are looking at the show as if it were a drama. Shounen anime dramas have people crushing people's craniums with their bare hands—I don't see something like that happening in this show any time soon. Indeed, the distance it keeps from this (we're halfway through the series and no one has died yet) should be an indicator that it is not only a comedy but a slapstick one at that.

(My "crushing people's craniums" example was from the seventeenth episode of Legend of the Legendary Heroes.)
It saddens me deeply to say that I'm still only about 90% sure whether this is sarcasm or not. Laughing

I wasn't kidding in the least. I, quite literally, believe that there is no such thing as unenjoyable anime, just improperly viewed anime. Just like with Tono to Issho, Battle Girls: Time Paradox, Toriko, SKET Dance, A Bridge to the Starry Skies, and We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky (my favourite comedy of this season and, depending on how it ends, of all time) Aria the Scarlet Ammo is a show I very much enjoy.

Be sure to note the lack of emoticons in this post. There are none here to communicate that I am not being the least bit sarcastic when I post thus: Aria the Scarlet Ammo is very enjoyable. I find the jokes well connected and the mysteries exceedingly interesting.

As well, so as to understand the perspective wherefrom I dervie my possition, I do not watch anything other than anime and Discovery-Chanel-esque shows. Similarly, I rarely watch movies. The last movie I saw is Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:
I wasn't kidding in the least. I, quite literally, believe that there is no such thing as unenjoyable anime, just improperly viewed anime. [...]

I donno. While I've certainly enjoyed a fair amount of foul entertainment, I'm not sure I could argue that anyone who doesn't share my enjoyment simply isn't looking at it in the right light. Just because a person likes to sniff fresh dog turds doesn't mean the poo doesn't stink. It certainly doesn't mean that everyone else just isn't smelling the poo correctly. All it means is that the person enjoys what others see as crap.
egoist

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:
I, quite literally, believe that there is no such thing as unenjoyable anime, just improperly viewed anime.

Indeed. Nothing booze can't solve.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:

I wasn't kidding in the least. I, quite literally, believe that there is no such thing as unenjoyable anime, just improperly viewed anime.

Wow. And people accuse me of being arrogant about taste.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:
I, quite literally, believe that there is no such thing as unenjoyable anime, just improperly viewed anime.

I think you just don't mind inoffensively bland, unoriginal, mediocre anime. Pretty sure if you gave me a day of your time I could make you want to die using only anime as an instrument of torture. Twisted Evil
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:

I wasn't kidding in the least. I, quite literally, believe that there is no such thing as unenjoyable anime, just improperly viewed anime.

I imagine this is the sort of personal "taste" that keeps Uwe Boll employed.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
MarkJr92892 wrote:

I imagine this is the sort of personal "taste" that keeps Uwe Boll employed.

I always thought it was the German tax code that did that. Wink
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
MarkJr92892 wrote:

Wow. And people accuse me of being arrogant about taste.

You *are* arrogant about taste, Zac. It's just that you're always right, so it's okay. Smile
MarkJr92892

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Arrogant...? Crying or Very sad

I was just saying that I enjoy most (non-kodomo) animes. The use of colours to enhance the communication of the production staffs arguments for their position on the matter they are discussing is my number one category for measuring the quality of anime. Next to that, is lighting and, next to that, is the use of camera angles. The story is actually relatively far down on my list below other elements of cinematography and how the story is written. This is why I ultimately enjoyed Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. The story had things like people being shot three times at point blank and falling into a bay yet living; however, it also had even glints in the characters' eyes being coloured in a manner that further communicates to the viewer on a plane beyond verse. In one instance (at least), the camera is positioned such that the two conversing characters of the scene are viewed through cracked glass. The crack, of course, was not just anywhere; it ran right between the two, symbolizing the breakdown in their relationship that was occurring then. A scene so beautiful, I still remember it...

When excellent cinematography combines with an excellent story, one ends up with greats like my most favourite anime, Mushi-Shi, and my second most favourite anime, Death Frenzy.

So, more clearly, the reason I like Aria the Scarlet Ammo is because it uses colours and camera angles effectively while having a story that does not hinder these. As well, the writing juxtaposes the innocence of freeing a girl by taking her to see fireworks with the odiousness of doing so by creating one's own, more physical, "fireworks" through pun. So, for me, the story still is more than just a canvas through its symbiotic use of these two literary devices.

Me, I enjoy the surrealism of The Tatami Galaxy as well as the ironic juxtapositions of We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky.

Can't one enjoy both? Wink
momogoldfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:08 am Reply with quote
MarkJr92892 wrote:
[quote="Sanosuke_Inara
I wasn't kidding in the least. I, quite literally, believe that there is no such thing as unenjoyable anime, just improperly viewed anime. Just like with Tono to Issho, Battle Girls: Time Paradox, Toriko, SKET Dance, A Bridge to the Starry Skies, and We, Without Wings: Under the Innocent Sky (my favourite comedy of this season and, depending on how it ends, of all time) Aria the Scarlet Ammo is a show I very much enjoy.

Be sure to note the lack of emoticons in this post. There are none here to communicate that I am not being the least bit sarcastic when I post thus: Aria the Scarlet Ammo is very enjoyable. I find the jokes well connected and the mysteries exceedingly interesting.

As well, so as to understand the perspective wherefrom I dervie my possition, I do not watch anything other than anime and Discovery-Chanel-esque shows. Similarly, I rarely watch movies. The last movie I saw is Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.

...um can you not lump Sket Dance into your group of 'examples', I actually found that quite entertaining in its Gintama-in-High-School kinda way...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3