• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk Manga and Anime

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maggx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching berserk for the second time(amazing show) and I've decided to read the Manga. I read that the anime pretty much ends at Vol. 12 , but could i just start from there, like is the anime pretty close to the manga, or is there **important** stuff i missed.. I dont really care if the 1-12 is just amazing, but if theres important stuff i missed, then i will Very Happy

So basically, is it worth me reading the beggining of berserk if I've seen the anime
?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
If you jump ahead right to Volume 12, you'll be confused as to spoiler[who that little pixie fairy, Puck, is. (among other things)]. I'd say read the manga from the beginning up to where the flashback starts (around Vol 4), and then you can safely skip all the way to 13.
Maggx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I think im just going to have to read it all over again
Kidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Maggx wrote:
I think im just going to have to read it all over again

I think it's a better idea to read the Manga from the very start and not to skip anything. Certain events and characters were omitted from the anime (either for censorship reasons or plot coherency). The manga paints a MUCH darker and sinister image of Gats than the anime. In the Manga, Gats is pretty much a text book definition of the anti-hero.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote
There are differences between the two, but I don't know if it's necessary to read the early volumes if you've seen the show. The manga has more info in it-- some is edited out of the show-- and there are a few scenes that are just in the anime as well. But all in all, a person, IMO, could probably get away with not reading the earlier volumes, say, if they were low on money. They are good though, and they are a bit different from the anime-- particularly in re: to guts earlier years, and an extra fight or two with the band of the hawk. There are some very important characters (2) that aren't introduced in the anime, that are in the manga by vol 12 (the fairy mentioned in an earlier post- Puck- and Skullknight, a mythic figure that sspoiler[aves Guts, Casca, and Rickert from the eclipse]-- this is probably the only really valid issue with not reading the earlier volumes. Still, if you do a bit of research, you'd probably be able to pick it all up.

As a whole though, the anime does a very good job of following the manga.
Punchey Monk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:41 am Reply with quote
The first three volumes are largely uncovered by the anime. I'd say that, at the very least, these should be on your "must buy" list as they involve Guts as the "Black Swordsman," which is largely what fans of the anime wanted to see more of.

Honestly, though, I think you shouldn't be put off by the fact that Volumes 4-12 are covered within the context of the anime. They offer a larger and more detailed look into the story in some places (Guts' early years with Gambino, a more in-depth look at the dynamic between him and Casca, and a fight between the Band of the Hawk and the Black Dog Knights in v. 11 that shouldn't be missed).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1