• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - The Legend(s) Reborn

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FH14

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those newer fans who hasn't seen, well, really any of the old stuff, though it isn't out of a mentality that old = bad. A lot of the enjoyment I get out of watching something is discussing it with another person - whether it be online or in real life. Content produced in, say, the past 10 years are more likely to have been watched by my peers or the masses on livejournal or another type of message board-type site. (There are obvious exceptions, a la Sailor Moon, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, etc., but those were some of the bigger titles of the 90s that made their way into popular anime culture, and in Sailor Moon's case popular culture in general, so they don't suffer the same limitations as other titles. That's also assuming your file titles of the 90s under "old"). Therefore a lot of it is just me not wanting to fanboy over something by myself. Superficial, I know.

Also, I second some of the feelings above that I have no interest in getting something like a E-reader. I find it incredibly ironic every time I go into Barnes & Noble and see a huge counter out front selling the Nook because products like that will eventually be the death of brick and mortar stores (that and Amazon's lawsuit makes me find it irrationally funny).

Quote:
Another barrier to newer fans' appreciation of older anime is a half-technical, half-mental issue: aspect ratio. With most older anime being 4:3 (16:9 TV anime were still a minority until 2006), and most people's screens being 16:9, you get people whinging about not wanting to see vertical black bars of neutral nothingness. They might otherwise find a particular series appealing, but they can't get over the pillarboxing.

^This. The pretty 16:9 aspect ratio really hasn't done anything using the 4:3 ratio any favors, not just anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
FH14 wrote:
Therefore a lot of it is just me not wanting to fanboy over something by myself. Superficial, I know.

I think that's a pretty valid concern-- with the speed that fandom moves now, thanks to the internet, a show can be a big booming hit and then a month after it's over can be entirely forgotten by the fanbase. It's not so bad for series that have ongoing manga serializations (provided that you read the manga of course; if not, you're likely to just be lost). Thinking about a much more recent example, I only started watching Shiki a month or so after it had finished airing, and I watched the whole thing pretty quickly because it's just that good, but by the time I'd finished, the fandom had dried up and the show has been forgotten by many. That doesn't make it less of an awesome show, but I've had to force several friends to watch it so that I'd have someone to talk about it with.

About answerfans, Nicolas Zabaly has one of the best answers I think I've ever read in the column! Normally I just skim over walls o'text, but this was really fascinating. I had no idea that Ponyo had been digitally tweaked, for example, though I can understand why... but even still, it makes me a little sad.

Also, I was going to write an answer for this week's question, but then thought that I might not be considered enough of an old-timer, having only seriously been into anime since I was 13 or 14. But since one of the replies is from a 25-year-old, I guess I'm officially a grandma at 26 :p
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's wonderful. And not only is it unique, it is exceptionally well done. Every frame is teeming with detail.

That's all good and well, but was there any merit to the soundtrack being so very discordant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dante80

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Narutaru would be a very good candidate for that. Another one would be a continuation/conclusion of the Twilight Q project.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I like Chris Beveridge's take on why younger fans don't watch older stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3URVXDoarAs

The quote that I really like is,
Quote:
When I start going back to the older stuff, it's never as I good as I started with.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Geez, Brian, you make it like I'm out for blood! /\/\;; I would not punch Noizi Ito in the face. I said "disheartening," not "infuriating." Oh! My Goddess is still one of my favorite manga series, despite such minor frustrations.

And speaking of frustrations, what's up with the new Answerfans! question, Brian? Are you personally trying to summon the pent-up angst and wrath of anime fans across the internet? Between dropped American localizations (KODOCHA!!!!!) to stalled manga series (X/1999 anyone?), your inbox is going to be filled with angry-tear-driven love letters of the past. Hope you got a Hazmat suit!

P.S. Does anyone else get a massive HammerFall vibe from the title of this week's article?
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As a 33-year-old anime and manga fan, I find it surprising that many younger fans haven't watched shows like the original Evangelion, have never heard of Revolutionary Girl Utena, or, going even further back, have never read a manga by Osamu Tezuka.

As a 25-year-old anime and manga fan, I have never watched the original Evangelion and never read a manga by Osamu Tezuka. I'm okay with this. I watch what I find interesting and what is available. I don't have anything against old anime -- I've watched more Lupin the Third than is probably healthy, and I have dabbled in some old shows like Cutie Honey. But I don't see the need to seek out old shows just because all the washed up geezers like to talk about how awesome they were back in the day. Not that I'm saying that you, or the majority of the staff of this website are old, washed up geezers that spend all their time reminiscing about twenty years ago. No, I am not saying that at all.

And I don't understand why people would rather spend their time regurgitating the 'medium's past masterpieces' when there are some wonderful modern masterpieces to watch. Angel Beats, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bakemonogatari, I'd take these over your old stuff any day (except Utena, Utena is awesome, even if the art is horribly dated).
Dante80

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I don't understand why people would rather spend their time regurgitating the 'medium's past masterpieces' when there are some wonderful modern masterpieces to watch. Angel Beats, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bakemonogatari, I'd take these over your old stuff any day (except Utena, Utena is awesome, even if the art is horribly dated).

Hm, think about it this way. There are both old and new titles out there that may interest you. The main reason that many old fans praise old anime is rather simple. Because they liked them. You may too.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
In response to the previous week's Answerfans question, I really miss the theatrical anime of the late 70's/80's. There were so many beautifully animated films coming out around that time period...Final Yamato, Locke the Superman, Akira, Nasuicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Arcadia of My Youth, the Dagger of Kamui, Transformers the Movie (forgive me on that one, but it still kinda counts). None of the level of amazing detail or special effects could be done utilizing CG...the animation is so much more dynamic and fluid versus the mainly dull, and really static look of the CG-laden titles of today.

I still watch newer anime and enjoy them, but, with the exception of a few, the animation styles are just totally bland today. This is not to say that all older titles have far superior animation or that there wasn't cruddy styles back then; it's just that I've always thought that hand-drawn animation seems to have more heart put into it than the stuff we're getting today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

I think that's the same sentiment Brian was sharing regarding why he doesn't like to see any more Western adaptations - indeed, more original works.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that it can take adaptations and spin offs to produce good work, or make a story telling device acceptable. Things like wings of Honneamise and Paranoia agent are good examples of original works, but it can just as easily be something I would consider bad such as Evangelion, or even something that in the end only rises to the level of mere entertainment like Code Geass. Adaptations and spin offs helped produce R.O.D the TV, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay, if I'm going to write an answer to this week's question, I need a less vulgar term that has the same meaning as "c**ktease." Any ideas? [self-censored]
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Okay, if I'm going to write an answer to this week's question, I need a less vulgar term that has the same meaning as "c**ktease." Any ideas? [self-censored]

Cactus maybe?
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I see people have already beaten me to the punch about Howl's Moving Castle and, considering that about four or six characters from the books were combined into two or three, one didn't die and another was aged down a lot (all of whom appear, at least briefly, in the sequels), yeah it would be hard to make sequels to that. And I agree with Brian, I really want to see more original ideas in manga and anime. True it's a little scary (I was a bit hesitant to try the new noitaminA series after how much I disliked Fractale) but overall I think it's better if the industry keeps getting fresh ideas instead of stagnating with older ones.

Also chiming in as another younger anime fan that hasn't seen much of the older stuff (I finally found some older stuff at local libraries/Netflix so I'm working my way through some anime from the 90s but even then I'm only watching the really mainstream stuff). Part of it is that, while my friends in high school were anime fans, we were all pretty new to it so the only way I found out about anime was checking out the ANN season previews and then finding fansubs of whatever sounded interesting. It can just be a little hard to figure out what's worth tracking down and watching and what isn't (also, time, I'm following a lot of current stuff right now that I'm loving and really don't want to drop to watch something else I'm not sure I'd like as much).

Seconding the idea that it would have been nice to have a proper (anime) sequel to Fruits Basket that followed the manga but I know that's never happening. So instead, I wish CLAMP would hurry up and finish some of their hanging titles. I loved Legal Drug (and, since Clamp seems to do episodic stories better than plot heavy ones I really want to see them return to this title) and apparently Clover has even more backstory to tell and I'd love to see just what else it is.
rojse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Dante80"]
Quote:

Narutaru would be a very good candidate for that.

I agree with Dante, "Shadow Star Narutaru" would be excellent candidate for another thirteen episodes (hopefully more) to conclude the series. The thirteen episodes we have introduce interesting characters, situations, and moral questions, most of which aren't answered or concluded. It's a great first half, and the only thing letting it down is that the adaptation of the manga needs to be finished.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5