• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mangaka Suggests Kill la Kill May Be Plagiarized

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rydia251

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:59 am Reply with quote
Himeko90 wrote:
rydia251 wrote:
I don't like dan9999's post and do like "moe" (however anyone defines it), but try harder.

There is nothing to "try harder" for. His post was clearly written to get a rise out of people and I gave it a response that I felt was appropriate for the situation (but feel free to continue lecturing me on the effort that I should put into my comments).

"Pffffft" is lazy unless it is in jest. It brings you to the same level as a Fencedude post that criticizes with no rebuttal, hence the "try harder" comment. So yes I will lecture.

If you want to criticize the post bring up dan9999's generalization, stereotyping, judgement without discourse, or misunderstanding of "moe". Otherwise all you have are roll-eyes, or in this case something even less meaningful.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:37 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
The Gakuen manga's art looks pretty cool though!! I wouldn't mind giving it a read!

I'm pretty sure that's what he was aiming for.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
EricJ wrote:

Or even plagiarizes anime, while they're at it.
(Oh, what, I was talking about Inception, not the Disney movie!)

Let's not go there, last time I check, I didn't see Sony Picture or Madhouse putting any lawsuit against Warner Bros or Christopher Nolan, and I didn't see Inception facing any ban in Japan when it got released.
Besides, we all know they got the idea from Donald Duck and company.
Sylontack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:00 am Reply with quote
Oh no a series has the same generic and disinteresting tropes as another.

Seriously I thought the point of Kill La Kill was satire of the tropes anyway.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Oh PLEASE! The basic story in KLK can be found in hundreds of other series, not just one. And even if it is, who cares? It's not a crime unless it infringes on someones copyright. As long as it's good, I couldn't care less if it copied someone.

But Ooshima will care.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote
In anything else I"d be suspect. After seeing a billion show where

[insert name] attends the prestigious [insert organization] where for some freaking reason teenagers have been entrusted to do things no teen should ever be entrusted to do in battling against the [insert enemy] who have [insert verb] from the [literally insert anything]. There will also be harem hijinks and a betrayal

This is par for the course in anime. I can't even get upset about it. Cloning content to a degree that goes way pass homage and influence is how anime works.
Joe_Sinister1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
TBH, Kill La Kill is fairly unoriginal to begin with, which is why I shut it out pretty fast. But it is nice that Japanese creators are becoming more assertive about their IPs lately.

LOL! This has to be a joke post, but on the chance you are 100% serious in this nonsense...
You basically "shut out" the best show to come out last year be cause you felt it was "unoriginal".

Ok so what "wholly original" shows are you into? Out of curiosity.

Trigger basically references a crap load of other shows in KLK as it is ( Sukeban Deka being a big one, as well as a lot of old school shonen) the same way that TTGL did. Frankly the manga that KLK allegedly plagiarized wasn't even original to begin with. As was already stated even if it was a rip off i would support it over any of the harem, moe crap in anime anyway.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:10 am Reply with quote
rydia251 wrote:
Dessa wrote:
*also points out that her avatar is from HaruToki, actually*

Been wondering about your avatar for a long time now. I can now die happy. Seriously. :D

Yup! It's Eisen, voiced by Hoshi Souichiro. I keep debating on changing it, but can't seem to pull away from him

enurtsol wrote:
Lion King is Hamlet! :P

I wish I could find it again, but the Kimba/Lion King controversy has a lot more to go off of than just being roughly based on Hamlet. I've seen side-by-side screenshots showing what appears to be exact copies of frames. Who knows if the site even exists anymore, though, it's been over 10 years.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
It's very interesting how fast people are jumping on Kill la Kill's side. Imaishi and Trigger have built a brand that people are loyal to.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
We're not jumping on Trigger's side. We're pointing out how this guy is over-reacting and accusing KLK of plagarism for using basic anime tropes. He just sounds mad his manga wasn't as popular.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, as my teacher said, Japan was land of the "great copiers". Of course I wonder about that now.

Well, that whole thing with the transvestite boy would be a revelation but we've also see that in Go Nagai's material. This is quite a interesting revelation. It just goes to show you that not everything is quite as original as one thinks. But what's the odds that the guys at Trigger even read this guy's work. Again there might be similarities but much of it is different. I wonder if it's possible to create similar ideas subconsciously without ever reading or being exposed to a work?

As to that whole Lion King thing everyone keeps mentioning that it takes much from Kimba, but did anyone ever mention that it takes some cues from Hamlet too. As my niece schooled me that the ideals are all around us in other forms even if we don't see it or understand the actual work. Well, I hope that this whole deal won't sour things. I do like the show. But hell, there has been quite a bit of "blue" gem clones (Castle in the Sky: Laputa, Nadia, Atlantis, and Children who Chase...).
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
enurtsol wrote:
Lion King is Hamlet! Razz

I wish I could find it again, but the Kimba/Lion King controversy has a lot more to go off of than just being roughly based on Hamlet. I've seen side-by-side screenshots showing what appears to be exact copies of frames. Who knows if the site even exists anymore, though, it's been over 10 years.

(Uh, he was KIDDING. Hence the fan-paranoid "Atlantis is Laputa/Nadia!" reference, after we all started looking for filed-off serial numbers everywhere in the late 90's.)

Plus the fact that Jungle Emperor was enjoying a huge 20th-anniversary marketing push in 1987-'88, which would allow a reasonable similarity in time for negotiations, failed licensing, and developing of Disney's own, ahem, working-titled "King of the Jungle" in '94.
And have to remember, in 1994, no mainstream adult had ever heard of Japan having its own cartoon characters, but when they did, they all 'Boomer-gushed over the cheesy 60's-dubbed series they remembered as kids, and said "I remember Speed Racer and Astro Boy!" Although it's speculation, it's rather easy to imagine 1988 US Disney executives in Tokyo on a deal, saying "Look at all these crazy big-eyed characters, where are the Disney ones?...Hey, wait, there's Kimba! Very Happy "

Even so--and considering I didn't even WATCH the old 60's series growing up--you have to ask what idiots Katzenberg took us for: Rolling Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55l5syXifG8

mdo7 wrote:
EricJ wrote:

Or even plagiarizes anime, while they're at it.
(Oh, what, I was talking about Inception, not the Disney movie!)

Let's not go there, last time I check, I didn't see Sony Picture or Madhouse putting any lawsuit against Warner Bros or Christopher Nolan, and I didn't see Inception facing any ban in Japan when it got released.

That's probably because Sony had already paid Kon and Madhouse for the rights to an "Americanized live-action Paprika" beforehand, just to beat their own marketing of the import movie into the ground, and had no damages to sue for.
(Like Nabiki Tendo said, "Oh, well, at least I got paid. Anime smile ")

Nolan obviously felt he had a "better" idea and took it to his contracted studio; my old Disney grudges just object to a lot of clueless non-fans saying "Let's give Nolan an Oscar because he's so BRILLIANT!"
Let this be a lesson: Don't be a victim...These things happen if you're not an otaku.
wizard626

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Hiroyuki might be too upset to think about it rationally but Daisuke had the right idea. If the story developed exactly the same then it'd obviously be a different issue but right now they're both using a hand full of trope. I do admit you could question whether or not using all of them was a coincidence but its all things we've seen before.

1.) Clamp school is also a giant school that is practically a town/city.
2.) Tenjho Tenge also showed a school with ridiculous emphasis on fighting other students. Mitsuomi could be called an Authoritarian.
3.) Nagi in Tenjho Tenge is a hot-headed transfer student but transfer students in general are common place in anime.
4.) Ryu's red bandana is a memento from Ken. Holding onto an item from deceased associate is common but examples aren't coming to mind.

5.) Clothing based battle system is the only one that could be called into question. Item-based battle systems are abundant in shounen but I can't specific so I'll let this one go.

Anyways, both series plagarized from Clamp and Ito Ogure if we wanted to nit pic.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Wow, didn't know a film like this. Might check it out and compare it to Love Plus.

People aren't aware of other stuff Hollywood makes. It's an adult take on the "waifu" phenomenon. Very Happy

I thought Her was basically Chobits, but your example was better.

Disney plagiarizes itself now! Tangled=Frozen, with mother/daughter relationships replaced with sister relationships. At least the main characters look the same. :/
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
He just sounds mad his manga wasn't as popular.

I would be jealous if I was him. I would be bitter that my series which is very similar to and out long before KLK could have been as big if it had fallen into the right hands... Unfortunately that's life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5