• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Check Out the Finished, Fan-Made, Live-Action Akira Project Trailer

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BooktapC

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I have question is the trailer for showcasing the live-action film to come? Or is this only their culminated efforts for this fan made trailer?

I'm not understanding the project details completely. Much appreciated if someone could explain this.

Last edited by BooktapC on Mon May 12, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
WHY IS THIS ONLY A TRAILER?!

In all seriousness, I do appreciate their efforts and vision. It's well realized and captures correctly the massive nature of the film. As for if we'll ever get a true live adaptation of Akira that honors it instead of simply copying it (or, worse, degrading it), it will be difficult to say with certainty.
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
BooktapC wrote:
I have question is the trailer for showcasing the live-action film to come? Or is their efforts a culmination only for this fan made trailer?

I'm not understanding the project details completely. Much appreciated if someone could explain this.

From their website

Quote:
The Akira Project is a crowd-sourced, non-profit project meant to create a live action fan trailer of AKIRA, the renowned manga-turned-anime film from the late 1980′s; a stunning example of both mediums as art forms. While Hollywood has been working on a live-action Akira movie for a few years now, we, as fans, wanted to take a shot at making our own adaptation. A chance to stick as close to the source material as possible. A chance to do Akira justice.

Sadly, this was only a project meant to create a trailer.
BooktapC

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ZanraiKid wrote:
BooktapC wrote:
I have question is the trailer for showcasing the live-action film to come? Or is their efforts a culmination only for this fan made trailer?

From their website

Quote:
The Akira Project is a crowd-sourced, non-profit project meant to create a live action fan trailer of AKIRA, the renowned manga-turned-anime film from the late 1980′s; a stunning example of both mediums as art forms. While Hollywood has been working on a live-action Akira movie for a few years now, we, as fans, wanted to take a shot at making our own adaptation. A chance to stick as close to the source material as possible. A chance to do Akira justice.

Sadly, this was only a project meant to create a trailer.

What?! Sorry about my disappointment. I was hoping it was the real thing -a live action adaptation since this trailer is pretty amazing visually. It is just too bad.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Points off for them not using the "Neo Tokyo is about to E•X•P•L•O•D•E" tag line.

Otherwise, pretty durn cool.
LaSean

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
The guy that plays Kaneda plays Kevin Tran in Supernatural.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:59 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Points off for them not using the "Neo Tokyo is about to E•X•P•L•O•D•E" tag line.

Otherwise, pretty durn cool.

They use that line at the end of the production diary trailer, the other video. I think it would have been cooler to say "NEO TOKYO.... IS ABOUT TO.... GET REAL."
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That was some rather slick work. Running through the whole trailer all I could think was "It's like Tron: Legacy... except done by people who actually care about the franchise."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1