• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Miyazaki Is Spending All His Free Time At His Favorite Place... Studio Ghibli

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
insert name here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm picturing Miyazaki hanging out by the water cooler every day, chatting people up, suddenly trying to be the "cool guy" at the office. Bringing in donuts for everyone.
MetalUpa1014

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Is saying that you're going to retire after every project just a Japanese thing? Hideo Kojima always says that each Metal Gear game will be his "last one," but he never makes on that promise.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
If you're involved in something as big as MGS, like Kojima, I guess you have people to answer to who would prevent you from retiring as long as possible; they want you to do more because the fans want more. But he's shown his disillusionment with that in nearly every single MGS game he's directed since MGS 2, or so the theory goes anyhow. I figure Kojima-led MGS has about 1 (Phantom Pain) or 2 (a hypothetical 6) games left in it anyhow.

Weazul-chan: true, and there's also Bill Gates, who is still on the Microsoft board (or was until recently?). It's common for those in key positions or founders. When my father retired from General Motors after 32 years though, he never went back. He didn't want to retire either, but had to due to health.
Jacut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Does anybody really believes that he retired ?

He already "retired" in 1998 after Mononoke, in 2001 after Chihiro, in 2004 after Howl etc... etc... As long as he can hold a pencil, he won't go anywhere, don't worry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
When I read this news, the one that came immediately to my mind is Miyazaki nagging to younger staffs "You can't do this! You can't do that! Do exactly what I told you!"

I know Miyazaki is great and all (even though personally I'm not a fan of his works, at all) and maybe the staffs still need him to give advice and such. But I think he shouldn't boss around anymore since he's already retired. Of course, Japanese workers always value their seniors, which is why perhaps it's hard for them to disagree with him.

Just like when he showed displease about Marnie's poster. Just because it doesn't suit his taste doesn't mean that it shouldn't be there.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
I think that compared to Tezuka himself, the talented Miyazaki seems like an amateur.

lol wut
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:34 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Aynslesa wrote:
Just a thought: I don't believe it's exactly accurate to compare Miyazaki going to Studio Ghibli constantly even in retirement to any average retiree visiting their old work. Keep in mind that Miyazaki is one of the co-founders of Studio Ghibli and dedicated *years* of his life to the studio and its creations. I'd think that gives him quite a vested interest in the studio. It's not the same thing as an average employee just randomly deciding to continue coming into work even after retirement.

My uncle was not a mere employee, he created a factory that nowadays makes windmills before 1970; Studio Ghilbi was created in 1985, so your point is?

No offense, but I doubt your uncle is world renowned for his windmill making abilities. Miyazaki (and Takahata of course) made Ghibli what it is today. It's because of his works that the studio was successful, and now they're universally loved because of it. I think he's earned the right to "boss people around" and "give the younger staff orders." Hell, I'd be honored if the guy scolded me. He clearly knows how to make a quality film, so how exactly is that a bad thing? He's not going to destroy Yonebayashi's vision or anything by giving some advice.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
When I read this news, the one that came immediately to my mind is Miyazaki nagging to younger staffs "You can't do this! You can't do that! Do exactly what I told you!"

I know Miyazaki is great and all (even though personally I'm not a fan of his works, at all) and maybe the staffs still need him to give advice and such. But I think he shouldn't boss around anymore since he's already retired. Of course, Japanese workers always value their seniors, which is why perhaps it's hard for them to disagree with him.

Just like when he showed displease about Marnie's poster. Just because it doesn't suit his taste doesn't mean that it shouldn't be there.

I like how you admitted that his work is objectively great.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
shiranehito wrote:

It is when it's his work.
When it isn't...maybe they should just give him some post-retirement figurehead title like they do at Disney, where he can still "advise" and be the public face of the company, but they're not under obligation to use it.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Personally I believe that every form of art is subjective, so I don't really get what you mean.
Just like Picasso. Some might appreciate his works, while some others don't. A lot of people might find that Titanic is an excellent movie, but I'm sure there are some who don't like it. Even there are some people who like Rebbeca Black's Friday despite of famous for being the worst song ever. Some people might find Miyazaki's works as the best ever, while I don't.

I called Miyazaki a great man, because I like his art direction. Though, I find his scripts rather dull, most of the time boring and stale. The only thing I enjoy from Ghibli probably is just the art and animation. But it's just me and my opinion.
albanian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote
A rather pedantic question occurs to me - but then I have advanced degrees in pedantry! Who actually owns Studio Ghibli? Miyazaki and Takahata are credited as co-founders: does that mean they are also co-owners? (I note that Suzuki is still on the board of directors despite having retired from pretty much all his other active roles - so are Miyazaki and Takahata directors likewise?) And if Miyazaki is co-owner/director of the studio, what is to stop him visiting his own property to keep an eye on his interests?

OK. so that's actually four pedantic questions. Who's counting?

Um, five....
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
He is just there every day not much of a surprise don't think it's ever gonna change.
Just like ANN cast joked on the podcast he will take that studio to his grave just like Tezuka and some other's would have done.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
That must please Goro no end. Laughing
He should have done what I have to do. Since the bankers and money gamblers have recklessly stolen and gambled away my pension, I will have to work till they carry my body out through the front gate in a wheelbarrow, feet first.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke, I mean that he didn't work as many titles as Tezuka and I feel that he didn't pioneer anime/manga like Tezuka did. While I do put Miyazaki among the list of the greatest anime/manga pioneers/figures, I put Tezuka on an even higher level on said list.

I'm happy that Vertical has done well (as far I know) success with their Tezuka titles.

To me, second only to Tezuka (I agree with the title he's given as the "God of Manga") is Shotaro ishinomori.

A Feb. 25 Tokusatsu Network article, "Shotaro Ishinomori: The Man Behind Masks" mentions how
Quote:
Ishinomori was highlighted by the Guinness Committee as the most productive comic artist ever. With over 120,000 pages, 700 chapters, and more than 2,000 episodes from anime and tokusatsu based on his works, Ishinomori’s output has placed him at a level no other person is likely to surpass.

Then, the article's 2nd paragraph even mentions how the Museum of Contemporary Art of Tokyo calls Ishinomori the "King of Manga" and how Ishinomori's influence might surpass that of Tezuka himself.

While I don't know about the part of Ishinomori's influence surpassing Tezuka's influence, I feel that he's very underrated in the US compared to Miyazaki or Tezuka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2