• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 10,000 Anime Fans Pick Psycho-Pass 2 As The Most Anticipated Fall Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
It blows my mind that Psycho Pass would even top Fate/Stay Night in terms of anticipation, particularly since Gen Urobuchi isn't even writing anymore and with that you'd think otaku would care less. Fate/Stay Night makes sense though, that's been an otaku mainstay for a long time now.

Personally I'm looking forward to the 2 new Gundam series more than anything by far. The rest of the season could just as easily not exist and I'd be fine cause I'd have 2 new Gundam series to watch at the same time. Of course I'll be checking other stuff out, but yeah it really isn't even a contest for me when it comes to anticipation.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Out of the first top 20 list, the top 5 doesn't contain my most anticipated anime. Gotta go all the way down to 19 for what I'd have as number 1. Number 2 would be Log Horizon 2, and the rest are either sequels of anime I've not seen or new anime where some are based on source material I've never touched.

From the PVs I've seen of stuff I may be interested in on this list, there isn't anything that I'd say I'm anticipating. Would find that saying that would be too strong a word for my level or interest in them.
konqueror

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
To tell you the truth, I only care about Fate/stay night. I've waited so long for a proper Unlimited Blade Works adaptation (best route imo) that I haven't even considered other options.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
configspace wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
Psycho-Pass 2 in the lead isn't much of a surprise.

It might be to the Under The Dog producer and the anti-moe fans Wink

I can't ever remember them ever saying that they didn't like Psycho-Pass and it's not Moe so I can't see the art being hated, unless we have gone back to hating Shojo.

Explaining it kills my little jab there, but anyways, what I mean is that according to the narrative spouted in the Under the Dog AMA thread, there's nothing but moe today, no sci-fi, no serious shows. Moe is the chart topper. Therefore surely for those folks, this must be a surprise to them.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
konqueror wrote:
Izu ☻ wrote:
The female list look ok

You must be a woman, because that list is awful.

Wow, perhaps you'd better rethink your wording. =\

Women make for bad lists. Laughing
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I'm almost relieved Urobuchi has no involvement this time but I still don't have too high expectations.

His perfect record is already more or less stained more with Aldnoah Zero. It doesn't help that the main lead is lifeless Gary Stu while the other main lead is too naive for his own expense. The villains are way too hamfisted to care. It was nothing like Fate/Zero to have come to expect from him.

I have watched a little bit of Psycho Pass but I feel less motivated to continue on. I'm way over hearing Kana Hanazawa's voice and it didn't have much promise to continue trudging through the anime by the look of the general reception for the second half of the anime.

Fate/Stay Night and Hitsugi No Chaika are the only ones I'm looking forward to. I guess I'm glad since I would be pretty busy.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
Wrathful wrote:
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:

I'm almost relieved Urobuchi has no involvement this time but I still don't have too high expectations.

His perfect record is already more or less stained more with Aldnoah Zero. It doesn't help that the main lead is lifeless Gary Stu while the other main lead is too naive for his own expense. The villains are way too hamfisted to care. It was nothing like Fate/Zero to have come to expect from him.

I have watched a little bit of Psycho Pass but I feel less motivated to continue on. I'm way over hearing Kana Hanazawa's voice and it didn't have much promise to continue trudging through the anime by the look of the general reception for the second half of the anime.

Fate/Stay Night and Hitsugi No Chaika are the only ones I'm looking forward to. I guess I'm glad since I would be pretty busy.

Not every series someone writes has to be like the one big thing you know them for -.- Fate isn't much like Madoka at all yet both are well received. Also, Fate is pretty singular...there aren't many series which have similar themes and character based plots.

As someone who's seen everything he's done bar Aldnoah. Zero I don't think Psycho-pass is a stain on his career. There are issues with the writing, but I still enjoyed the series as a whole and am looking forward to the second series. If anything I'd say the series with the most issues on that list that I have seen is Gargantia - since that has a major Identity crisis half way through the series...It should have stuck to being a slice-of-life...oh well.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote
I actually really enjoyed Gargantia. Weird pacing but still a solid sci-fi/slice of life romp and a good chance for Urobuchi to try something new for once.

Why I was so happy to see him try something new was because Psycho Pass with its mostly flat and uninteresting cast, generic cyberpunk setting, cliche premise and almost nothing that Urobuchi hadn't done better before made me think he'd lost his spark.

Granted the setting had potential for something great and the first half was an enjoyable crime thriller but the show just played everything way too safe. As it went on I became progressively less interested in knowing the answers and just wanted it all to end. The only reason I kept on going was because there was literally nothing better to watch among the currently airing shows in early 2013.

They promised something really ambitious that had never been done before but all I got was Urobuchi rehashing the same old schtick without any of what made it so appealing in the first place. Of course since then Madoka Rebellion came out which proved to me without a doubt that he's still very capable of knocking my socks off so to speak. But I still fear that one day he's going to disappoint me again.

As for Aldnoah.zero I haven't seen it but from what I can gather he has barely any involvement. So I'm not really sure what to think about the reception.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:48 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
As for Aldnoah.zero I haven't seen it but from what I can gather he has barely any involvement. So I'm not really sure what to think about the reception.

He is the creator and according the anime info, he was responsible for scripting from episode 1 to 3. I, too watched Gargantia earlier but couldn't keep up with it maybe I should pick it up some time, I suppose. And no, I don't expect the level of character interactions seen on Fate/Zero. I just have trouble understanding why he seems to be seen as the premier storyteller. Maybe I was unknowingly expecting too much from the guy myself.
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
I haven't gotten tired of hearing Kana's voice but maybe that's because I don't watch all of the anime she's in that's aimed at the OPPOSITE gender. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, if you watch your shonen anime, she's probably in there somewhere voicing a female character objectified for the straight male. Rolling Eyes

Honestly, the only type cast I'm tired of is Rie Kugimiya voicing tsundere characters. It got old so fast after Zero no Tsukaima. I have NO issues with her voicing Happy in Fairy Tail though. I actually like that type cast much better than the tsundere characters she has done.

Maybe you guys need to actually pay attention to the anime rather focus entirely on the actual voice of one character in said anime.

I'm looking forward to Psycho-Pass 2 either way. It's definitely not something I'd watch for a feel-good show. It's the type of show I watch for the suspense, drama, and psychology.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2