• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki Yuna is a Hero (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I can only imagine your bitter tears when Togo's friends rescue her from her deserved plight. Rolling Eyes
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Nah, at that point she'd have served her time. I never said she was unforgivable and should suffer for all eternity.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Typical bleeding heart "soft on crime" liberal attitude... Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Blame my Catholic "everyone deserves forgiveness after proper atonement" upbringing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I see it often that people say that they have a problem in a way a character acts, that they were just wrong, but I think it is from looking at the character logically instead of emotionally. Togo had a complete mental breakdown, which eclipsed even another character in the show that had one, she was hit too damn hard that her heart could not take any more. A healthy adult I think especially should be liable for doing something rash, that it is a bit cowardly for how their actions can impact others. But it is kind of a different thing when you have teenagers, she is like 13 or 14 years old, that age some suffering can especially feel so bad that you feel like ending it all would be better. Probably not too serious, but I know some of what happened myself around that same age felt incredibly hard, that I had quite a lot of feelings that I might rather feel nothing.

As for season 2, Episode 8

Better believe it that despite everything, like being happy that Sonoko is integrated in with them, it felt hollow with someone specific missing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
You know the weird thing? I actually didn't notice that Togo was missing until something started to dawn on the characters themselves (I forget now who noticed first... I think it was Yuna when she saw the girl in a wheelchair?) It's almost like because my brain expected her to be there, that I assumed she was.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
I noticed immediately and was wondering when the others would realize it. This sort of plot is hardly uncommon.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Rolling Eyes I have zero idea how anybody could not sympathize with Togo's actions from the first season. She and the others were continuously lied to by The Amnesty. She had found out that her fate and the fate of her friends was to be sacrifices who couldn't actually die, merely whittled away until they were living corpses stretched out on a hospital bed. Who could blame her for wanting to destroy the whole stupid system? These are young school girls for Pete's sake.

Yes, genocide the ultimate solution for all of life's problems. I don't see us sympathizing for all those husbands/boyfriends who decide life is not worth living anymore, and decide to take out their wives/significant others, and their children too. After all it is for their good also, isn't it.

Of course we sympathize for what the magical girls have gone through, but there is a line that she crossed. It is a line that you can't be forgiven for, and that you can't take back. Season One's biggest failure was not holding her responsible for her actions. Not even friendship can make amends for this.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I have edited out my original response to TarsTarkas which was rude and violated ANN's posting rules.

I am replacing it with this far less irritated reply: I guess there are two ways to think about Togo's actions. One is to think, "What a shame that such a young girl was thrust into such a crazy and tragic situation that she was mentally driven to a point where after snapping she actually believed it was better that the entire world be destroyed as opposed to seeing her friends continue to endlessly suffer." The other is to think, "eh, she really needs to be punished." I think my preference is obvious.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I am replacing it with this far less irritated reply: I guess there are two ways to think about Togo's actions. One is to think, "What a shame that such a young girl was thrust into such a crazy and tragic situation that she was mentally driven to a point where after snapping she actually believed it was better that the entire world be destroyed as opposed to seeing her friends continue to endlessly suffer." The other is to think, "eh, she really needs to be punished." I think my preference is obvious.

I understand where you are coming from, and you do have a point. But we don't forgive and forget such actions in real life, so I don't see why we should in fictional anime. In the end though, lets make it clear, we are talking about genocide, the total destruction of the human race. Not only her friends.

The aftermath of Togo's actions in the first season is unrealistic, and pushes the 'power of friendship' to insane levels.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Those positions aren't mutually exclusive. I understand completely where she was coming from. Doesn't absolve her of what she did. When some one gets off on an insanity plea they don't just get to walk free.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Those positions aren't mutually exclusive. I understand completely where she was coming from. Doesn't absolve her of what she did. When some one gets off on an insanity plea they don't just get to walk free.

What about the insanity plea when they are pretty much responsible for saving the world? Before and after? When those who were in charge were actually aware of what will probably happen to kids not mentally or emotionally mature enough to take it, and decided to lie so that they would do what they wanted?

Togo is a little like Rambo, but 13 years old.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Yuki Yuna is a Hero reminds me a lot of the 'recent' Cabin in the Woods movie. If you don't feed the Elder Gods sacrifices the Earth dies. If you don't send young magical girls to fight the constant stream of invaders the Earth dies. There is nothing bright and cheery in either scenario. I don't know the Cosmology of Yuki Yuna's universe, but if it is as it appears in the show, it is a pretty dismal one.

So yes, we are supposed to feel for the magical girls. Yes it is pretty crappy to be sending immature young girls to fight these demonic or space creatures, but it is a pretty crappy universe too. "It's Raining Monsters" type scenario, with no realistic alternative apparently.

Togo is lucky in some ways, because only the Organization and her friends know the truth about her actions. All the populace knows is that the Earth got unlucky with probably major natural disasters all at once, considering the past incursions and their repercussions on Earth.

Put a video of a space demonic creature rending and gnashing a little girls body on Yuki Yuna's world's internet feed, and no one is going to care 'why' Togo did what she did or feel any sympathy for her.

The ignorant populace is understandable, but the lack of repercussions from the Organization and Togo's teammates/friends is totally unrealistic. Even with the camaraderie of their team, could you really forgive and pretend nothing happened. Even though Togo tried to kill you, your family members, your friends, and everyone else. This wasn't oops I made a mistake and let some monsters in because I cracked a bit. This was throw the gates of hell wide open, and ride vanguard all the way down the pipe clearing the way for the monsters to eat your families, after killing you first. And what about all the dead people, killed by Togo's actions. Can't really say oops to that.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
The difference between Togo's friends and you is that they are not holding her responsible for her actions. Out of everybody in that world they probably understand how easy it would be to crack under the insane situation they are forced to endure. Because these fictional characters actually have a spark of humanity they are probably not hugely interested in further punishing a person who has already under gone so much punishment.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Again, there's a difference between being understanding and sympathetic and completely ignoring another person's wrongdoings. "Hey man, when you get out you can crash at my place until you get back on your feet" versus "How dare they throw you in jail for almost killing that family! I'll bust you out!"

@TarsTarkas: Seems you didn't catch all the backstory revealed in season 1. Publically the story is a virus killed everyone outside the wall and the Vertex are creations of said virus. In truth the Vertex are agents of the heavenly gods, sent to wipe out humanity because they got tired of our shit. The earthly gods merged together to form the Shinjuu and protect the remnants of humanity. The Earth outside the barrier was turned into a blazing hellscape and if the Shinjuu's protection vanishes humanity is doomed.

Gods usually favour young girls, and since they don't have a human's moral values it doesn't see taking sacrifices in exchange for power as unreasonable (between season side material reveals spoiler[Shinjuu gave back what it took from the heroes because it was afraid something like Togo's rebellion would happen again]). Taisha doesn't have much choice but to do what the Shinjuu wants because, again, it keeps them all alive. 300 years ago the residents knew the truth (since they were the survivors of the initial genocide) but they decided to cover it up at some point. The public being in the know was one of the better parts of NoWaYu.

Believe me when I say Taisha did some bad shit back then too, but again they did what they had to to protect humanity.

Togo's actions were out of pure selfishness. She acted like she was doing it in her friends' best interests but she didn't care what they thought, she only wanted to spare herself the pain. Just because we know the reason doesn't excuse what she did. And did she really "snap"? Because she was pretty levelheaded during the whole ordeal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11