• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Set List - Top 10 OPs of 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I think my top favorite OP song was "Shiver" from Mushi-shi. It managed to be simultaneously sentimental, romantic and spooky.

As for JoJo, I think I liked the OP for Battle Tendency a bit more than the Stardust Crusaders OP. Even so, SC is pretty darn awesome. It really brings the retro and the macho.

The OP from Hozuki no Reitetsu comes in 3rd for me. Written to be similar to a corporation pep-rally song, It kept selling one of the overriding joke/concepts for the show: spoiler[that Hell is run like a Corporation, and everyone working there must participate.] ....I'm probably biased it its favor since I absolutely loved the show.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
There's one other bar, but there were so many others I wanted to vote for! Soredemo Sekai wa Utsukushii, Selector Spread Wixoss, Re:Hamatora, as well as others! D:

I was wondering about this before I went to vote in the poll. Are we only supposed to mention one series in the "Other" field, or can we put as many as we want in there? I've got at least two, but if I'm limited to one maybe I'll go with Kawai Complex and I'll consider my vote for Selector Infected Wixoss to count for Spread in spirit (since they're both great).
Alph4Xerxes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Personally don't understand the hype over Garo's OP. Musically and visually it's pretty good, though I can't stand the singer's voice. Same with the Space Dandy OP, for that matter. For anyone who cares, my top ten would probably have to be:

1: Ping Pong OP "Tada Hitori" by Bakudan Johnny - Fun, up-beat song, great lyrics, and compliments the anime so well.
2: Hamatora OP "FLAT" by livetune adding Ozaki Yuuki from Galileo Galilei - colourful visuals true to the show, well-written (livetune), and Yuuki Ozaki.
3: Barakamon OP "Rashisa" by SUPER BEAVER - great song with lyrics fitting the anime well, and art is great at numerous points.
4: Noragami OP "Goya no Machiawase" by Hello Sleepwalkers - nice use of colour, and a good song to get you 'revved up' before the show.
5: Mekakucity Actors OP "daze" by Jin ft. MARiA from GARNiDELIA - again visually striking (especially if you're familiar with the source material), MARiA has a great voice and Jin has shown again why he's one of my favourite composers.
6: Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso OP "Hikaru Nara" by Goose House - not as good as "Oto no Naru Hou e" in my opinion, though still really well-written and I still really like their voices.
7: Re:_Hamatora OP "Sen no Tsubasa" by livetune adding Sugawara Takuro from 9mm Parabellum Bullet - livetune again, change from first season OP fits mood change, and visuals still great.
8: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei OP1 "Rising Hope" by LiSA - Hope summed it up pretty well, but LiSA's voice works so well with songs like this.
9: Zankyou no Terror OP "Trigger" by Ozaki Yuuki - Mood suits anime, visuals are fascinating and surprisingly spoilerful if you know what to look for, and Ozaki Yuuki again.
10: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun OP "Kimi ja Nakya Dame Mitai" by Ooishi Masayoshi - [insert Hope's explanation]

Last edited by Alph4Xerxes on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Brynhildr in the Darkness gets my vote for "worst show with best OP," if only for its uniqueness. I think this is the first anime theme I've seen with no lyrics (there are vocals, but only wordless wailing), and has appropriately cool visuals to go with the epic synth-dubstep song. It's too bad the show was so... not good. Kinda in the same boat as Mahouka.

Somehow I'd forgotten about Your Lie In April, but I'd say that ties with the Nozaki-kun opening for my favorite from last year. They're too different to rank one above the other, but they're both catchy and energetic and complement their respective shows perfectly.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
i love that this is now a regular thing Smile I personally would have included the Rage of Bahamut Genesis and Chaika Coffin Princess (#2) OPs, since i lean more to the rock/metal stuff.

For a future video topic, how about the top non-Opening/Ending musical anime moments? Like a song number some characters do, a music-themed battle, etc.

edit:" maybe it's best Chaika didn't make it on here; i actually prefer the endings to that show much more Anime hyper
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Hope... calling the OP form You Lie In April hopeful (no pun intended) and happy is technically correct. Does not fit the show though. BOY does it not fit the show.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
When you announced you were gonna stop doing videos for Channel Awesome I was disappointed we wouldn't see your top openings of the year list anymore. I'm happy it'll live on here.

Glad to see Mahouka on the list. It was a great opening, though I felt the full song was a bit lacking. The 2nd opening wasn't as good, but the full song is much better. Funny how that works.

So far as snubs go:

- Sword Art Online II - Cool song with good build up and nice action.

- Madan no Ou to Vanadis - I love how grand and over the top it is. Perfect for a fantasy epic.

- Kenzen Robo Daimidaler - Awesome throwback to the mecha themes of old, especially with Masaki Andou on board. It's even greater when it pops up in the show.
|comicchaser|

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Great to see these videos being turned into an ANN column now.

I always struggle with picking a definite No.1, but I can list the Anime OPs that would have made my Top10, in no specific order.

Parasyte
Cross Ange
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Stardust Crusaders
Noragami
Space Dandy
Haikyuu!
Both OPs of Akame ga Kill (Cheating, I know. If I had to choose I'd pick the 2nd one though.)
Terror in Resonance
Tokyo Ghoul
Captain Earth

Garo gets an honorable mention, because I really like the visual style of the opening but imo it's one of JAM Projects weaker songs.
TG72

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Good to see all the love for Hanayamata. It got my first vote.

I've also got to highlight Parasyte. That one does an excellent job setting the mood for a dark, exciting show.

If the next column is best ED of 2014, I'll be looking for both Barakamon and the first from Chaika.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Interesting idea for a new feature, but since we can't read any translated lyrics, certain points made about lyrics are a little wasted.

Hope acquits herself well overall, though. Looking forward to the next video.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BandorKitty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow! This is something that's right up my alley Very Happy … but internet and videos don't mix for me Sad

Just wondering if you would consider putting a text version of the list underneath the video for us who can't watch without internet crashing. Its okay if you don't as I am probably part of the minority who have this problem, but I would love to enjoy this column just as much as the next person Smile
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:43 pm Reply with quote
As much as the show is flawed, Hanayamata wins out for me. The visuals are great and the song somehow manages to be ridiculously catchy without being annoying. Not many songs in general let alone anime songs can manage something like that.

PP 2 was... bad. But the opening was fantastic so that also got my vote.

I would have voted for Love Live but sort of like K-ON I only really like it because it's associated with a fantastic show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Interesting idea for a new feature, but since we can't read any translated lyrics, certain points made about lyrics are a little wasted.

You'd either have to watch fansubs that add them in or look up translated lyrics. I doubt many people bother with the second option.

I voted for Yama no Susume 2's OP, really dug that one.
gedata

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
And here I was ready to say "what you forgot Noragami?" only to see at used as a stinger. Still, the lack of Hoozuki no Reitetsu strikes me as a bit egregious
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I honestly was really surprised to see Garo made this list much less #1. Always happy to see Trigger and Hikaru Nara also. I wish Girigiri would be there also. [/list]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5