• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Plastic Memories (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
But it also made me realize that Isla is very different from all the other Giftias we've seen so far, in that she's not relentlessly mellow and cheerful.

The black haired girl (Sherry) is a giftia and was shown to get angry at Yasutaka for skipping work.

HaruhiToy wrote:
So why would they have that training facility if training doesn't do any good for Giftas anyway?

It is officially designated as the unit testing room, and the two workers there tell Tsukasa that they are collecting data on her. We benchmark equipment all the time without expecting that the benchmarks will improve the equipment.

In addition, what Yasutaka said is that giftias cannot forget (before their expiration), not that they are incapable of learning. The "training" doesn't help Isla because she is supposedly recovering previously forgotten skills--which is not possible. It may very well be useful to train a giftia who has not yet acquired the skill.

Last edited by Raftina on Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
@ Haruhi: I don't think it was so much that training doesn't help Giftias as it was that training wasn't going to help Isla at this stage of the game.

And yeah, asking how old she is would almost be the first thing out of my mouth. I kept mentally supplying him with that dialog in various places, hoping he'd spit it out. Very Happy

@Raftina: I think I didn't realize she was a Giftia (although they clearly said so and her name's a giveaway), so you're right. Isla still seems unique in her limited emotional range though.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Now if I were partnered up with a Gifta and realized that knowing that entity was part of my job, probably the very first thing I would want to know is how long my partner had. Not necessarily for any practical reason either -- just because it would be impossible for a emotionally functioning adult human not to be curious about it. But apparently Tsukasa is not. I find it hard to believe that he hasn't asked or looked into it particularly since he thinks he has fallen in love with her.

I'm curious about this too. Tsukasa was pretty inquisitive about giftias with that other employee near the end. I imagine he would've asked about Isla's remaining hours after going through a couple retrievals already.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
Isla is always acting so weird..
spoiler[Tsukasa is getting into trouble 'cause of it.
He's nice to cover for her..
Hammered Kazuki]
is not very pleasant LOL
spoiler[2 new characters] appear.
Looks like being on the spoiler[field again is stressful for Isla.
Pretty relaxed, get-to-know Isla more]
episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

It is no surprise that Isla has little time left, about 83 days left. Isla really seems to in not so nice terms, be degrading, and apparently she will get even worse. A mellow episode but things are still looking to be heart wrenching.

Also, apparently our lead ended up in this situation with an odd android because spoiler[he was not accepted into his next level of education]. Does that sound similar to anyone else? Why don't I own Chobits?
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:01 am Reply with quote
I will check this anime's rating when it will end to see if it will become really good eventually.

CoreSignal wrote:
Well, I don't know. Saying stuff like "you can not excuse the nonsense" and "is nothing else other than hidden racism" doesn't leave much room for disagreement.

I am not sure that it is possible to not leave a room for something in a discussion. Because everyone can answer "Yes, I can excuse it because ..." -- no one has to agree with one another. (Different issue is how much logical and convincing arguments of the parties are -- this for readers to assess.)
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

That was funny. I mean, the story slowed down a bit but this by far had the most humor for the season yet. spoiler[I just find the chemistry between Tsusaka and Isla to be funny especially with how he tries to get her attention.]

Then, there's also spoiler[Michiru who has some priceless reactions on her face because of these incidents.] Fabulous. I hope the plot moves a bit though from this point as there are a lot of potential for what's to come.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TRNielson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Honestly, I was disappointed with this episode. spoiler[The whole "OMG we live together now, so things have to be sexually awkward" schtick really bugged me. I could see it happening if they were still students, but they're both supposed to be adults.]

It wasn't until about the last eight minutes or so that the episode became actually interesting. Hopefully, episodes like this will be the exception rather than the norm for Plastic Memories. I would hate for a show with so much potential to be wasted on overdone anime tropes.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Tsukasa spoiler[moving in with Isla].
Awkward much?
They do need to do some spoiler[bonding.
Their relationship is nowhere near a true partnership.
Tsukasa was going about it all wrong]
It was pretty funny though ^^
Those two... just spoiler[need time].
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:30 pm Reply with quote
TRNielson wrote:
Episode 3:

...Hopefully, episodes like this will be the exception rather than the norm for Plastic Memories. I would hate for a show with so much potential to be wasted on overdone anime tropes.

I am pretty sure this show will devolve into silly anime tropes, like I thought after the first episode. Luckily for me, I never for a second thought that Plastic Memories could become a well written and deep sci-fi show ala Ghost in the Shell or the first season of Psycho-Pass.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
It is pretty obvious that Isla wants to ride the ferris wheel.
angelmcazares wrote:
I am pretty sure this show will devolve into silly anime tropes,

Gawd I hope not. Granted they overdid it this episode but they still have plenty of room to maneuver out of the pit of mediocrity.

I am getting a little overloaded on anime about cute but worthy young girls dying, though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

That whole spoiler[non-reaction thing] could be pretty hard to deal with, things are not exactly moving fast. There were some funny things in spoiler[walking in on increasingly bad situations].

Do they spoiler[have to live in dorms]? Sounds rough for their love life.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
This episode did not fee right.
Almost like filler.
We know MC is not a jerk and SHOULD be keenly aware of Isla's time (if he is not, then... dude he really blows).
But this is anime, and there is a runtime to fill.

At least that is what it felt like to me.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
We know MC is not a jerk and SHOULD be keenly aware of Isla's time (if he is not, then... dude he really blows)

I think we established a few posts back that it is inexplicable that he doesn't know and hasn't seemed to even have asked about it.

Aside from that he is surprisingly ripped.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
I guess they had to get the otaku-bait in somewhere. If I wanted stupid harem cliches, I'd watch a harem Rolling Eyes I hope this episode is the exception and it gets back on track next week.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12