• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix Streams Fate/stay night: UBW English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shahroze12

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Second season when??
Isinfier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It's on the US Netflix, at least.

It probably won't make it to the UK version for at least another year, if Netflix's track record for screwing the Brits is anything to go by.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Earlier it was only available in Japanese, up until yesterday when it released the dub.

Also Silver Spoon is up.

You know, every day I see an image of Fate/something and hope they're talking about bringing over Carnival Phantasm.

Last edited by prime_pm on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Having had a good chance to listen to the English Dub, Kaiji Tang as Archer doesn't really bug me anymore. It fits more than the trailer made it seem. However, I still think they should have brought Sam Riegel back as Shirou.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
So…when is this, Fate/Zero, Madoka, and Magi going to appear on Toonami? Are the TV broadcast rights too much a pain in the butt for Aniplex USA to deal with (if at all present)? Since they all have dubs and are prime titles for the block, I thought we would have seen them on there by now…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Having had a good chance to listen to the English Dub, Kaiji Tang as Archer doesn't really bug me anymore. It fits more than the trailer made it seem. However, I still think they should have brought Sam Riegel back as Shirou.

Yeah. At first, Kaiji as Archer didn't really gel with me, BUT either he got better or I got used to it. He's not quite as good as Liam O'Brien, but still, he's not bad. Smile

I actually really like Bryce as Shirou. Again, it was a little awkward hearing him as Shirou at first, but I think he does a good job. YMMV.

However, the Best Performance Award goes to Kyle McCarley as Shinji Matou! Seriously, the dude's a riot. Laughing
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Nyren wrote:

Yeah. At first, Kaiji as Archer didn't really gel with me, BUT either he got better or I got used to it. He's not quite as good as Liam O'Brien, but still, he's not bad. Smile

I actually really like Bryce as Shirou. Again, it was a little awkward hearing him as Shirou at first, but I think he does a good job. YMMV.

However, the Best Performance Award goes to Kyle McCarley as Shinji Matou! Seriously, the dude's a riot. Laughing
I just feel like Bryce is in everything these days, especially in the protagonist role. I'm glad he's getting lots of work, and that he has a voice that fits all kinds of characters, but it gets tiring not hearing someone else after a while, especially the actors that have a lot of potential, but only get hired by Sentai who typically have 1:1 copies of the Japanese script or bad direction.

And I haven't heard Shinji yet. I skipped to Episode 3 because I love the Berserker battle and I was curious to see if this was a broadcast dub scenario or the blu-ray release. Turns out it's just the TV rips with English audio over them because the brightness still turns down on some scenes and the opening which really irritates me.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
Turns out it's just the TV rips with English audio over them because the brightness still turns down on some scenes and the opening which really irritates me.

It also doesn't have any of the extra scenes, just what was broadcast. I guess they want to give fans more incentive to buy the blu rays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
Nyren wrote:
Turns out it's just the TV rips with English audio over them because the brightness still turns down on some scenes and the opening which really irritates me.

It also doesn't have any of the extra scenes, just what was broadcast. I guess they want to give fans more incentive to buy the blu rays.
And sell those blu-rays to you at prices very few can afford.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Just off the subject, worth noting that Netflix also just added Persona 3 Movie 2: Midsummer Knight's Dream.

As for why the second movie, and sub-only, that may be a license glitch from Aniplex, as apart from Sidonia, Netflix doesn't really encode or license any of these series themselves.
Isinfier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
And they wonder why digital piracy is so prevalent now. Christ, you can buy half-decent jewellery cheaper than some blu-ray releases.
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh, cool. I saw this on there yesterday, but if it has the dub I'll have to check it out.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about this.
Mela Lee's Rin is very grating and seems to spoil an otherwise competant dub. She doesn't sound resolute enough.

Nevermind.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I was more surprised to see a big billboard for Silver Spoon this morning. When I looked at the first episode, it appears to only be subbed. I was pretty surprised since most Netflix-licensed anime titles I've seen have both subs and dubs, certainly the big ones from Aniplex like Madoka or Kill la Kill.
RaylenCypher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I saw this on Netflix and has a nerdgasm moment haha. I watched the entire dub this morning with family. It was great, the cast grew on me and there was nothing out of place. My only nitpick is it was so DARK on scenes but that's expected.

The English dub gets a passing grade from me.

Last edited by RaylenCypher on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2