• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Blood Blockade Battlefront

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lincolen_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
6 seasons and a movie!
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Yes, episode 12 was amazing, and the wait was worth it. I am giving the final episode an A because of a few things that seem to have been left open ended intentionally. As a whole Blood Blockade Battlefront is an A or Excellent to me. BBB has become my favorite anime series from 2015.

And of course, I want another season of this amazing anime.
bobob101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Since I know Jack about christianity, there is a whole layer of this show that I don't have the background to understand. Other than that though, this show was FANTABULOUS! Kekkai is far and away superior to Trigun, and quite frankly jumped right up to my list of best anime ever! This show encapsulates much of the reason why I love anime. Actually, then manga is pretty good, but its missing the efforts of Bones and Rie Matsumoto. In short, Kekkai Sensen is one hell of a show, and should be watched by everyone!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Hope covered about everything I would have said and tons more! I loved this series. Definitely awaiting more--and more reviews here. They have been fun to read, and Hope's understanding of Christianity has added to my appreciation.

The artistry and angles for this final were great! Though there were some pretty bad off-model shots near the end. I'll assume those were some of the last scenes done before it aired.

This is something small, but I appreciated the frame of Black spoiler[being affectionately surrounded by other casters. I had never thought about it before, but he is probably under their care in absence of his parents. It gives me some hope that he can find structure and family even with White gone. It does make me wonder where they were before this, but I imagine the siblings were likely to push outsiders like them away. Hits too close to home.]

Last edited by RestLessone on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 was really great and reading Hope's write-up of it made me appreciate it even more pointing out the elements that I missed. The 3 month hiatus certainly didn't help any in remembering specifics from the story, so that definitely was a partial reason for why I missed some things. Definitely planning on marathoning this show again once Funi dub the final episode (I assume they will be dubbing it before it's eventual physical release). This is just one of those shows that it becomes extremely helpful to watch without subtitles.

More seasons please!

RestLessone wrote:

This is something small, but I appreciated the frame of Black spoiler[being affectionately surrounded by other casters. I had never thought about it before, but he is probably under their care in absence of his parents. It gives me some hope that he can find structure and family even with White gone. It does make me wonder where they were before this, but I imagine the siblings were likely to push outsiders like them away. Hits too close to home.]

spoiler[I got the feeling from the quick scenes at the end that he did. During the credit roll there was a shot of him waving goodbye at the airport. If you go back to episode 11 you'll see the shot is framed identical to a scene where Mary and Will are watching their parents' plane fly away as they leave for their magical investigator work. Implying to me that Will began doing the same type of work as their parents.]
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Not much to say but echo others' appraisals of the finale and series, excellent stuff all around (also as Hope mentioned nice to the get the vague confirmation that the Thirteen Kings and Elder Blood Breed are separate entities/groups). Definitely my favorite anime series of 2015 so far, makes me want to check out the manga and Rie Matsumoto's other work now (has she done anything else besides Kyousogiga?). The only real downside to the series is that it compacts so much information in so quickly that some viewers might end up getting left in the dust with its pacing if they aren't constantly attentive when watching. Can't wait for the broadcast dub to air as well. Also hope for a season 2 announcement soon as well.

Last edited by Theozilla on Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Meh I dunno, I though it was okay, but a poor end to the series. This isn't a complain about the anime original ending either since I haven't read the manga. It was just decent, okay, it worked.

BBB was like this crazy roller coaster ride that pulled off all kind of crazy trick that were barely ever used, but then at the end started being just this run of the mill roller coaster, plus we had to get off it in the middle, wait awhile and then get back on to more stuff that was just done before. In a series were we meet a super-chess lover otherworldly chtulu mafia boss having the final boss be satan, and a very boring version of satan, along with a very mundane brother sister story kinda disappoint even if it was well done.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Theozilla wrote:
makes me want to check out the manga and Rie Matsumoto's other work now (has she done anything else besides Kyousogiga?).

Kyousougiga's her only other chief director credit, but she worked a lot on the Precure franchise before leaving Toei. Specifically on Heartcatch Precure and its movie are where you can see a lot of her style (keep an eye out for the shining red cross-like stars)
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Why not just just say it now Hope Chapman...this is going to be listed as the best anime of 2015 for you......isn't it? Haha man i have never seen u liking a series so much as this one.

So i take it ...this made it in your top 5 list if not no.1 Anime hyper
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Ep 12 review wrote:
Rating: A+++

Well I guess she liked it. So did I but the one thing that I didn't like was the music track during much of the action. It was distracting particularly when it had lyrics.

Best overlooked line: "Zombies are necessary for entertainment!"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like it was a direct button-pusher for her, but I still might have to give it a try at some point.
dackquiri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:34 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Sounds like it was a direct button-pusher for her, but I still might have to give it a try at some point.

It's a button-pusher of an anime. I've tried showing this to tons of people, and the reactions have varied so drastically. It hasn't been immune from ambivalence or dislike, it hasn't been polarizing enough to call it love-it-or-hate-it. But the people who do like it, seem to love it hyperbolically.

I don't fanboy out about anime much, but I've been all about this show for the past six months. I keep hoping it finds a Western audience (since I personally theorize there's a lot of people who'd dig this but are the type who only make time for the crossover hits like Cowboy Bebop and FLCL).
dackquiri

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Also, I've gotta just say I'm thrilled that this has been doing well enough in Japan for a second season to even be viable. Consider:

1) It feels geared towards a Western audience a lot more than a Japanese one. It takes place in New York, playing up the melting pot themes and viewing it through an Americana lens. It makes relatively frequent American pop culture references (thematically apropos ones, at that—the Scanners one especially).

2) It's not pulling any cheap tricks to make itself marketable in Japan, either. No fanservice, no moe, and only minimal high-school-age characters. (If Leo, White and Black are under 18, they seem to be playing that close to the vest.)

I didn't place any bets on it being a failure or a success, but I thought it was a given the Western following would be a larger one than its fanbase back home. So when it didn't seem to be catching on over here, I didn't have much hope for it. Color me oh-so-pleasantly surprised.

Barbobot wrote:
RestLessone wrote:

This is something small, but I appreciated the frame of Black spoiler[being affectionately surrounded by other casters. I had never thought about it before, but he is probably under their care in absence of his parents. It gives me some hope that he can find structure and family even with White gone.]

spoiler[I got the feeling from the quick scenes at the end that he did. During the credit roll there was a shot of him waving goodbye at the airport. If you go back to episode 11 you'll see the shot is framed identical to a scene where Mary and Will are watching their parents' plane fly away as they leave for their magical investigator work. Implying to me that Will began doing the same type of work as their parents.]

spoiler[He's also—after wearing mostly black all season—wearing black and white clothing in that shot. Although I do wonder what the deal is with the airport. Wasn't the deal with Hellsalem's Lot that the Cthulhu arms swat away any planes (which is why everyone turned out to watch Zed's "land")?

Also, can't help but wonder if Black's the new recruit being welcomed in the ending shot.]
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:15 am Reply with quote
A+ for me. I would have probably gone nuts if this finale would have been on time 3 months ago, but hey, the fact that after 3 months I can say that it's an A+ means SOMETHING about how good it was

I'm definitely gonna rewatch it sometime in the future
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
Even though the story of the siblings probably was the least interesting part of this series for me, the final wrapped it up really well.

Not getting a lot of the Christian references didn't make it any less enjoyable, but reading Hope's review still made me appreciate it even more. Also it's always nice to see a reviewer being genuinely enthusiastic about a show.

BBB gets a strong A from me and i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a second season with more craziness, more Libra and more Klaus (there can never be enough Klaus!).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13