• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Club Hosoda

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I've never seen the American dubs of Digimon's movies but did they really combine 3 separate movies into one? That sounds absolutely horrible and a complete mess. How did they do it? I know the dub itself was terrible and full of jokes but that sounds like they went the extra mile to annoy people.

Honestly, they barely did. Basically someone would get a throwaway line about "Willis" (Wallace) in the first two movies, and then by the third he gave a very unconvincing explanation about how the events of Our War Game were his fault. But the movies themselves are actually very neatly separated by title screens of "x years ago", "present days". They tried less than Robotech.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
@ Wyvern : I don't agree that the destination isn't important as the journey. This way to look at shonen shows is too archaic. Even serial tv has for the most part separated itself from long running shows that go nowhere. Because the journey is more important than the destination right ? Wink

Long running series aren't archaic!
As the number of Nighttime timeslots increased, the number of animation studios increased and the number of short series increased exponentially.
Though Long running series are still strong in the industry!

Right now there exist around 40 timeslots for short running series and around 40 timeslots for long running series. So basically the same number.

1 Long running timeslot means 0 to 1 new series per year, depending if the series takes just 1 year or more.
1 Short running timeslot means 2 to 4 new series per year, depending if the series takes 1 or 2 cours.

From those 40 long running timeslots around half are super long series and the rest take around 1 year. So only around 20 new Long running series are seen in the seasonal charts of a year.

From those 40 short running timeslots around 1/3 are 2 cours series and the rest take around 1 season. So around 133 new short running series are seen in the seasonal charts of a year.

Comparing the number of long running with short running, when timeslots are fixed is not fair, given the different characteristics of long and short running series.
Instead of seeing number of series in a year is better to see available, still running, series in a given time. Seeing that way you will see that the number of Long running and Short running is basically the same.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

I really don't have a problem with a long running show as long as it keeps the destination clear. One Piece doesn't. Hundreds and hundreds of episodes with no clear goal in sight.

One Piece destination is pretty clear! Didn't you been watching? They are going to Raftel, the last island of Grand Line, to find Gol D Roger Treasure.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:

The first Dragon Ball tv series was long and told a complete story.
Hokuto no Ken was 150 episodes and told a complete story.
You can create long running shows that don't take the audience for idiots. Unfortunately Detective Conan and One Piece don't fall in this category. A failure in my view.

Dragon Ball told a complete story because it already ended, but that took 10 years!
In the beginning or somewhere around the story did you had any idea that it would end in Majin Bu saga?
And for Hokuto no Ken?

One Piece and Detective Conan have a way clearer destination than Dragon Ball and Hokuto no Ken. Is not even debatable!

One Piece destination is finding the treasure that is most probable in Raftel and after that we will have a World War.
Detective Conan is the Black Organization and Conan being able to get back to his normal age.
Draft37

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Made an account just to affirm Mike's story from the Wolf Children MIT screening regarding the gentleman from the 'Anthropomorphic Research Society'. Still makes me laugh to this day. Really looking forward to seeing both Hosada and that weirdo next year for The Boy and The Beast
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Draft37 wrote:
Made an account just to affirm Mike's story from the Wolf Children MIT screening regarding the gentleman from the 'Anthropomorphic Research Society'. Still makes me laugh to this day. Really looking forward to seeing both Hosada and that weirdo next year for The Boy and The Beast

If we can find that guy we need to have him ask if Kissyfur was a major influence on "The Boy and the Beast"

As for Hosoda himself, I think his got the potential to be a great director but he needs to get out of repeating himself, and stop trying to copy Hayao Miyazaki. Summer Wars was about how awesome family and his grandma was, Wolf Children was about how awesome family and his mother was, and now this is about how awesome his dad is.

I dont want to wait three years and then get a film about a really awesome Lion granddad.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:14 pm Reply with quote
# ep is a bad excuse for not watching an anime. Just watch it if you like it. There is no need for you to catch up in 1 month or 1 year.
One Piece is clearing going to have an ending because the story is moving forward.
I said the samething about Naruto too years back too, see it got an ending. Rather you like it or not is a different discussion.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I might try to watch One Piece again if they ever finish it and release it with all the filler episodes cut out. Kind of like what they did with Dragonball Z.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Great article, Mike Toole. I really liked the bits of the Digimon movie that were taken from Hosoda's films, so I should probably check his others out at some point.

I honestly don't know why anyone would bother with the One Piece anime when you have the manga. Sure, it's long, but manga reads very fast.

SahgoDN wrote:
Honestly, they barely did. Basically someone would get a throwaway line about "Willis" (Wallace) in the first two movies, and then by the third he gave a very unconvincing explanation about how the events of Our War Game were his fault. But the movies themselves are actually very neatly separated by title screens of "x years ago", "present days". They tried less than Robotech.

That third movie that was used had a good chunk of stuff in it about the main kids being de-aged that was cut out. The first two are mostly intact, though.

bigivel wrote:

And for Hokuto no Ken?

One Piece and Detective Conan have a way clearer destination than Dragon Ball and Hokuto no Ken. Is not even debatable!

With Hokuto no Ken, it gets a pretty clear destination early on: Kenshiro needs to settle the legacy of Hokuto Shinken with his brothers, and then JUMP decided to make Buronson and Tetsuo Hara keep going after that. Regardless, you get to that destination in actually 108 episodes instead of 152 (HnK 1 is 109 episodes, but the last episode is just a recap of Kenshiro's life).

One Piece has a pretty clear destination, too, but its premise gives it the ability to keep going and going and going.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:

To be 'fair', the director of the dub only wanted to use movies 1 and 2 for Digimon: The Movie, but higher-ups insisted movie 3 to be used instead.... Not to say it was done with any grace. The upside is that movie 3 was so bland that it somehow actually didn't come out any better or worse in the dub.

As for the article, I'm incredible amused that someone asked about 'kemono stories' to Hosoda's face since I've seen that joke going around after The Boy and The Beast was announced. I'm glad he took it in good humor, at least. I'm also insanely jealous of the people who get to sit in screenings and ask him questions, I'd love to have that kind of experience.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
SahgoDN wrote:

To be 'fair', the director of the dub only wanted to use movies 1 and 2 for Digimon: The Movie, but higher-ups insisted movie 3 to be used instead.... Not to say it was done with any grace. The upside is that movie 3 was so bland that it somehow actually didn't come out any better or worse in the dub.

That's... the saddest... thing... I ever.... h-he-he-heard!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Razz
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
taster of pork wrote:
I might try to watch One Piece again if they ever finish it and release it with all the filler episodes cut out. Kind of like what they did with Dragonball Z.

There actually aren't that many fillers. Relative to it's length, One Piece barely has any fillers, especially by the standards of long running shonen. There's a guide here http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_Guide/East_Blue_Saga#Warship_Island_Arc that lists every episode by saga and color codes which ones are fillers.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
@ Wyvern : I don't agree that the destination isn't important as the journey. This way to look at shonen shows is too archaic. Even serial tv has for the most part separated itself from long running shows that go nowhere. Because the journey is more important than the destination right ? Wink

I really don't have a problem with a long running show as long as it keeps the destination clear. One Piece doesn't. Hundreds and hundreds of episodes with no clear goal in sight.

You can create long running shows that don't take the audience for idiots. Unfortunately Detective Conan and One Piece don't fall in this category. A failure in my view.

I honestly feel like you've never watched One Piece. Considering that unlike all the other long-running series you listed, OP has always had an ending planned out, and (aside from a surprisingly scant amount of filler) has continually been about moving forward towards that ending. Every arc adds new detail to the world and complexity to a constantly coalescing story, one that just happens to be a long, immersive, and detailed complete story. This is in comparison to DB, Naruto, and especially Bleach, where its so much easier to tell that the authors rarely thought ahead beyond whatever arc they were currently working on. Why you even have Conan and OP in the same sentence here especially confuses me, since Conan is almost a completely episodic show, which is the exact opposite of OP.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:39 am Reply with quote
On to Hosada; this is the first I've heard about One Piece Movie 6 being an allegory for Hosada's experience at Ghibli, but it does make a lot of sense. Very cool to know, and something that'll definitely enhance future viewings. I've also been a bit of a fan of that movie, and thought it was far and away the best OP movie of the first 9, before Oda started creating the new film's scenarios. It had much more creativity and fun character moments than other OP movies, which always felt very cookie-cutter filler; however, it still has this weird incomplete feeling to it. The last two OP movies aren't perfect, but feel much more fully realized (and the characters act a lot more like themselves). However, I may or may not have a group a friends who still do that whole "toothbrush-mustache pirates" salute whenever we see each other, ha.

I really wish I could know more about what went down with Hosoda and Ghibli. I'm sure there are some who likely villainize Miyazaki for pushing Hosoda off the project, but I can sort of see why it might have been the right decision. For all the comparisons people make between Hosoda and Miyazaki, Wolf Children is really the only film of his so far that has really approached a full-fledged Ghibli style of storytelling. There's something about the pacing and flow of his other movies that just doesn't gel with the Ghibli style (as varied as that can between Ghibli's various directors). I'm happy Hosoda is off more-or-less on his own now, and I'm also happy the world got Miyazaki's version of Howl, which is still one of the most popular anime movies of all time in both Japan and the West. I'm looking forward to seeing Hosoda's new film this summer.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
SahgoDN wrote:

Actually, as much as I hate to admit it, I think it came out better. In terms of pacing at least, since the plot became (more of) a mess -- that movie drags into oblivion, and "The Movie" did away with a lot of the shots of "kids staring into nothingness for minutes on end". So if nothing else, it got to the good parts faster.
But yeah, I wish they'd kept to the first two movies only.

Hypeathon wrote:

That's... the saddest... thing... I ever.... h-he-he-heard!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Razz

But... I'm the one with the problem, not you. Get over it!
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you sir. The destination and goals of One Piece has been made clear since the beginning of the series. Luffy declares in the very first chapter of the manga that he is going to become the Pirate King, and if you watch enough of the first quarter of the series, One Piece is located on Raftel, which is not really a secret to anyone now.

The series itself has its good and bad parts to it, but Oda manages to load a great many small details into the story arcs that actually become significant to the series. The mini-series that are on the covers of the chapters for one, and also in his SBS Q&A corners that are in the manga volumes.

Considering that there is a lot to cover, the anime has to have the close to 700 anime episodes it has when we are close to 800 chapters as well. Around the time volume 60 was released, Oda said he is only halfway done with the series. At least he has given an indication as to when he's looking for the story to finish. I have heard nothing from Aoyama and Kubo about when Conan and Bleach will end. You want no clear goal in sight? Just look at these two series as of now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:
taster of pork wrote:

There actually aren't that many fillers. Relative to it's length, One Piece barely has any fillers, especially by the standards of long running shonen. There's a guide here http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_Guide/East_Blue_Saga#Warship_Island_Arc that lists every episode by saga and color codes which ones are fillers.

The problem is though, while they hardly ever do full-on filler episodes... once you get past a certain point, around episode 200 or so, the anime's pacing becomes pretty much 1-1 with the manga-chapters. And when they have to make a 21-minute episode out of 18 pages of manga, (sometimes even less than that... Lately they've been breaking up chapters in the anime and covering it at a roughly, oh... 3/4 of a chapter per episode ratio) naturally there ends up being a lot of padding. Admittedly, it's still far less padded than Dragon Ball Z at its worst, but just because we haven't had a full-fledged filler-arc lasting longer than 5 episodes since 2007, that doesn't mean that the One Piece anime is well-paced... Actually I sort of feel like having full-fledged filler-arcs would lead to the actual canon material being better... but with how long Oda's story-arcs are getting and how closely linked they are, I realize that this wouldn't really be possible without going the route of "Yeah, the main story continues and our heroes are right in the middle of a huge conflict... BUT NOW WE'RE GOING TO GO BACK TO A PREVIOUS POINT AND FOCUS ON SOMETHING COMPLETELY UNRELATED FOR HALF A YEAR!"

Oh right, Mamoru Hosoda. Yeah, I don't feel like I can really go all that in-depth about his movies, but I've seen them all and I do think he's got a great track-record so far, and his One Piece movie was easily the most memorable of the bunch, and despite how distinctly un-One Piece-y it is, it's still my favorite, with Z as a close second.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3