• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Hamatora Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infamoustakai

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, this is a show I've been wanting to watch. Hopefully they give it an English dub.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
This was going to be picked up eventually and for some reason I knew it would be Sentai.

Hamatora was very hit and miss for me, even after watching both series I still can't decide whether I liked it or not? Though the episode in Re:_Hamatora where spoiler[Murasaki is in the hospital] always puts a smile on my face. That slow motion camera! Laughing
#Immie93

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That slow motion camera!

Gets me every time!

Finally getting picked up, although I wish the anime had started right from the comic's beginning. Would have loved to have seen Nice and Murasaki's meeting animated but hey ho, whatever's missed out in an anime you have to discover in the manga.
Wink
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I haven't finished it yet but I'll probably blind buy it. It was that cheesy stupid that I enjoy.

I'll agree in that I figured Sentai would be the one to pick it up. Here's hoping they pick up the second season.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
GG
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Congrats.
macattack

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I figured someone was going to get this show eventually, not surprising it was Sentai. In all honesty, I don't expect much out of a Sentai dub for this one, I get the sense this will get one of the marginal rushdubs instead of one of the decent ones Sentai has done in the past.

The anime was unremarkable to me other than the psychadelic aura it gave off sometimes. The anime's failure to use Makoto Yoshimori's excellent jazz/blues score properly was almost a criminal offense in particular. HAMATORA is one of those series that falls victim to the "use the same five tracks OVER AND OVER AND OVER" syndrome. It's annoying in most anime, but when it's done to something as good as Yoshimori's score, it's actually pretty sad.

I did enjoy the subtle digs at otaku culture, however. In a way, this series is trying to tell otaku to wake up, and I give the writers credit for trying to embed that message without shoving it in your face.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
That slow motion camera! Laughing

Hatano has explained during events that for those scenes, he actually records the lines speaking slowly. It's not him speaking normally and then post-recording staff slowing down the audio. Laughing Makes the scene that much better!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1