• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yandere Simulator Will Let Players Love Their Sempai — To Death

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The first trailer I saw for this game, while hilarious, didn't make it look all that interesting. Seeing some of the gameplay, it looks a lot more like my sort of thing.
Yaki-udon wrote:
"Sem-pie" is close to the way the Japanese pronounce "senpai". So I would spell it "sempai" too.
"Senpai" is the standard romanization, however, so "sempai" should be avoided as somewhere between nonstandard and wrong.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
That psycho Date A Live girl, Kurumi, would probably like this if it was Shido. With such a game, I can see it easily getting an "M" here.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:

There's an older Romanization convention wherein non-terminal "ん" would be transliterated as "m," but still pronounced as "n." Terminal "ん" would still be transliterated as "n."

Disclaimer: I'm only explaining, not advocating.

Actually, I think that rule only applied when the "ん" was followed by a plosive. It's just like how in English the prefix "in-" changes to "im-" when you add it to "possible" or "proper".

Polycell wrote:
"Senpai" is the standard romanization, however, so "sempai" should be avoided as somewhere between nonstandard and wrong.

Getting fandom to use proper romanization is a losing battle. It's hard enough getting people to put the "u" in shoujo. Even the Japanese don't practice proper romanization -- witness Nico Tanigawa and Kohske, the authors of WataMote and Gangsta.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Well this is peculiar thats for sure. Not sure if I should be creeped out by the stalker elements or if I should laugh at the pick-your-panty simulator.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

Getting fandom to use proper romanization is a losing battle. It's hard enough getting people to put the "u" in shoujo. Even the Japanese don't practice proper romanization -- witness Nico Tanigawa and Kohske, the authors of WataMote and Gangsta.

The Japanase don't care much about romanization. The spelling always differs from time to time, even on official merchandises. I'm still confused between sh/sy and u/h (ex: shusuke/syusuke, katou/katoh).

As for the game itself, since the first time i knew the meaning of yandere term, i thought it was creepy. and this game is no different.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
In terms of romanization, different people use different systems and we shouldn't really be arguing about what's "right" or "wrong". The ん character is actually fluid and not completely an English "n" sound. It sounds like an "n" by itself, which is why that's the primary romanization for it, but its sound changes depending on the sound you slur into from it. In "senpai", the "p" starts with your lips closed, and thus the ん sound is morphed into a closed-mouth "m". In other cases, like when saying "hon wo kaimasu", the "wo" (alternatively, "o", as it sounds like here) morphs the ん into being pronounced without touching anything with your tongue or closing your lips completely, and thus... it ends up sounding like a vowel, only very slightly distinguishable from the "wo" following it, due to the fact that your mouth still moves.
And for romanization, most romanizations still used out there have a reason for being what they are. Some are outdated, but some aren't. If you want clueless Westerners to pronounce things closer to their Japanese equivalent, you might stick with "sempai". If you want to use a consistent romanization based strictly on the writing system, you can use "senpai". Either way, neither helps pick up the full nuance of the word, and arguing about which is "proper" or "right" is pretty unnecessary.

On the actual topic of the video... I almost fear that one person, somewhere, will take this game too seriously and either make a big deal about it on the news or make it their fantasy and bring it into real life. Neither is necessarily going to happen, but we're dealing with quite the... strong content here. I'd try it for fun, though. Anime hyper
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:02 am Reply with quote
If GTA is acceptable for American audiences, then no one should have problems with the violence in this. After all we all know what really bothers us Americans, and it isn't violence.

Any way, I love Rena and Yuno, so let the blood fly.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:16 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Sometimes, though, a game is deliberately designed to have its player character be a void with a few traits necessary to get the plot going and nothing more.

Which no doubt it will be the case if the full game is just "100 scenarios to kill your love rival". But if they include scenarios where the yandere just needs to scare/blackmail them and there is even the possibility that your rivals might also become your friends during the social interactions, it could lead to a lot of character development (and a headache for the game scenario creator). I believe that under the right circumstances the yandere can even become the heroine, i.e. suppose the guy she has a crush is bullied/attracts unwanted attention from same gender classmates because he is a bishonen (and probably a wimp). Not all yanderes need to be murderous, see the manga Jigoku Ane.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
This game is pretty funny and a nice play on the trope. Should be interesting to see if it gets anywhere beyond the concept stage.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
brucepuppy wrote:
I'm still confused between sh/sy and u/h (ex: shusuke/syusuke, katou/katoh).

Shu vs syu is an issue of two different romanization systems, one of which is designed to make Japanese words easy to pronounce for people unfamiliar with the language, while the other reflects how it's actually written in kana ("shu" is written the same way as "kyu", "nyu" and "byu" even though it's not pronounced with a "y" sound).

The use of "h" to indicate a long vowel isn't really part of any official romanization system, but some translators do it anyways because they think the pronunciation is clearer. (It probably makes the most sense with words that should be written with "oo" since English-speakers might mispronounce it like "two".)
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

Personally, I use a cross between Hepburn and Waapuro because as a former translator for a scanlation group, it made it easier to note down words I didn't know for later checking in a dictionary. The "n" is pronounced as "m" when in front of "b" or "p" sounds, but for consistency's sake I always romanise as "n".

As for the article about the game, reminds me of GTA, if I were to play it, I would probably try and avoid things like murder or setting up another character for rape. But I guess playing nice isn't really the point here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tallis Latif

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
For those who didn't know, you can actually try the finished parts of the game right now for free. You just need to go to the development site.

Though, at this point, all the features only influence how easily you can kill or kidnap someone. It's still a lot more detailed now than that first video is though.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
On the actual topic of the video... I almost fear that one person, somewhere, will take this game too seriously and either make a big deal about it on the news or make it their fantasy and bring it into real life. Neither is necessarily going to happen, but we're dealing with quite the... strong content here. I'd try it for fun, though. Anime hyper
As TarsTarkas said, I don't see this being a game that's likely to blow up, given there's much worse games already out there, but GTA V's started to attract attention after a year or so on the shelves now that Jack Thompson logic's suddenly back in vogue. It's definitely going to go unnoticed if it comes out any time soon, since we're probably going be seeing too much of this* for anybody to be worrying about some anime chick.

*Trailer shown in the video, for the curious(NB: strong language)
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
*Trailer shown in the video, for the curious(NB: strong language)

Another bad reinterpretation of nihilism? It looks like a deadly dull playable horror film, and like most horror, it's pretensions are inherently reactionary despite the trailer's rhetoric. When the player character gets his death wish, what replaces his power vacuum? The old order he opposed. While GTA lacks social vision, it at least weaves amusing social satire throughout the missions and the sandbox to make it playable.

As for the thread topic, it might be a good hook to get younger video game nerds to play the games that the popular kids (at least the more emotionally manipulative ones) play in real life, albeit on a more exaggerated level. That includes the exaggerated collapsing of complex social networks into playable nodes, in addition to the noted violence. I'd like to see how those who are normally left out of those kinds of networks make sense of the gameplay. Would they see it as a rehash of dating sims tropes, or something that gives the impression of achieving real social capital given the amount of "enemies" to be dispatched even if the end objective is but one person?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I was watching the gameplay.

It was pretty interesting and kind of funny, but it reminds me of those "chose your own adventure" games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3