• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Director Hideaki Anno Laments Over Anime's 'Decline'

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
...actually, unlike other people, I don't understand what he's trying to convey: he says that anime is declining and won't last other 5 years, but I don't see any specific reasons listed, or whether he means that the medium will completely disappear to give rise to something new, or that it'll become something new.

Though this could very well be the original article's fault, I'd really like to see his actual reasons for believing this ("apprehensions over a looming potential loss of both funding and human resources" is not really an in-depth explanation, and there's only so much we can assume from this) before seeing if I can agree with him or not.

Kotaku ran a story about that interview, which elaborates some more on the subject.
Robbybulidjetliner

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
With the recent with boom in generic ln adaptation, cgdct, slice of life, and any other otaku fetish crap I have to agree. It basically tits and ass over story, theme and presentation. This current season of anime doesn't interest me.

Last edited by Robbybulidjetliner on Tue May 26, 2015 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Truthfully I've been wondering about the sustainability of the current anime model of turning out 30+ new shows a season...

Making lot of new anime is good, as it increases the chance you may have something which sells too.

Problem is, with the current cost structure in Japan, you have to do the anime mostly in China (or whatever place). And after a while there are nobody left in Japan who know how to animate and all know-how is transferred to China. Then we truly start watching the eponymous Chinese cartoons...
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
http://i.imgur.com/MepPfOa.jpg

Interview from 1995: "If anime doesn't change, it won't advance as an art," Anno says near the bottom middle. While the creators have always had it rough if you do any reading they had it rough with unreasonable conditions since the War. The war only helped out due to extra funding help for Propaganda, and even then the realities of a lack of materials hurt the creators. I certainly think the creators deserve better, and we should help lift them up. how about that Kickstarter that helps house new starting-out animators with housing and training? Something like that wouldn't have been feasible years ago. He might not even know about it!

Have we had any good/artsy anime between 1995-2015?

I think we're doing okay.
Vizo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"If it's not how I want I to be, then it should just die."

Arrogance in a nutshell. I look forward to a day when everyone can get over themselves.

Last edited by Vizo on Tue May 26, 2015 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
liquidblueocean

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
...actually, unlike other people, I don't understand what he's trying to convey: he says that anime is declining and won't last other 5 years, but I don't see any specific reasons listed, or whether he means that the medium will completely disappear to give rise to something new, or that it'll become something new.

Though this could very well be the original article's fault, I'd really like to see his actual reasons for believing this ("apprehensions over a looming potential loss of both funding and human resources" is not really an in-depth explanation, and there's only so much we can assume from this) before seeing if I can agree with him or not.

I agree. It is non-specific, so it doesn't imply that companies will shut up shop, just that another country (or even Internet indies) will become the new leader in sought-out anime. I also agree that due to the way anime is now funded, and controlled by those corporate interests, that there definitely is more same-ness amongst the anime coming out and we're losing some of the edgy ones we used to get a decade a go. Somebody's loss is another's opportunity.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:

When Ghibli says they think closing as they cannot afford to make any more films in quality they want, I think we are doing pretty bad.
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Robbybulidjetliner wrote:
With the recent with boom in generic ln adaptation, cgdct, slice of life, and any other otaku fetish crap I have to agree. It basically tits and ass over story, theme and presentation. This current season of anime doesn't interest me.

It's always been like that, it's just that now that everything is streamed, we're starting to notice it more.

Remember that 90% of everything is crap.
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Anno, you made an argument, give us some hints on the reason as to why anime is declining.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The Japanese anime production system seems to be based on a relatively small cadre of otaku who are willing to pay steep prices for titles. What happens if this cadre continues to age and shrink and isn't replaced by new, like-minded otaku? It's hard to see how anime production would adapt to a new financing model other than to shrink the number of titles made and concentrate on ones that have a shot of something approaching mass appeal.

You can look at an industry here in the US that has advanced down that path about 10 or 15 years ahead of Japanese Anime, Model Railroading. I've been involved in that hobby off & on since 1969, at 56 I'm a relative youngster being from one of the last generations to be fully involved as modelers. There are still young people involved in Model Trains - an Otaku hobby in body & soul - but not enough to support the vibrant economy that existed 20 years ago. So it has declined and is now in the throes of "Build to Preorders" & "Limited Runs" of "Collectors Edition Models" mostly manufactured in China because Japan & Korea are too expensive. Oh and there are multiple versions of the same model from different manufacturers in the same vein as many Anime series retread the same ideas. And those models cost much more than production from just a few years ago.

I do have hopes that Anime will avoid that particular trap at least in part.

Mark Gosdin
MisterLuck

I think Hideaki Anno is wrong and right. What I mean by that is anime or animation can give rise to so many ideas and it can shape these ideas at a fraction of what it costs to adapt them into live action. Sadly though these ideas consist of fan service and comedy.
I wish anime studios wasn't as subservient to manga creators works and instead made their own original ideas and only adapt a series once it made it's own fanbase and ideally finished.
Also like Hideaki Anno, they shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket expecting it to turn record profit, like what he's doing with the Evangelion movies.
Hopefully the industry changes also to allow new blood to get in the industry
Greboruri

Moroboshi-san wrote:
I don't think so. I think he means countries like China, Vietnam, Korea, etc where practically all anime is animated these days anyway. It is easy to see that these guys will develop beyond just in-betweening work very quickly.

K-pop has completely beaten J-pop these days so there is an example how this will go.
Despite doing in-betweeing animation for over 30 years (and key animation in that 15 or so) for Japanese companies, South Korea still doesn’t have an animation industry that could possibly knock over Japan in terms of content or volume. As for K-Pop, the Korean companies are relentless promoters. On the other hand Japanese labels seem to be quite protective of their talent. I remember when SBS2’s Pop Asia music video show was asked why there wasn’t many Japanese MVs played on the show. Their answer was because the record labels wouldn’t give them permission to play the videos. As a result 90% or more of the videos they play are Korean.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
His comment about anime leaving towards another country and that in doing so it will spark "something new" is wishful thinking of the highest order...

I don't think so. I think he means countries like China, Vietnam, Korea, etc where practically all anime is animated these days anyway. It is easy to see that these guys will develop beyond just in-betweening work very quickly.

in-betweening has been going on in China since Batman The Animates Series more than two decades ago and it has not progressed from there ever since, it is wishhful thinking i.e. because Sailor Moon Crystal is being in-between in the philipines then the next big magical girl anime will come from said country.

Also, just like a decade ago anime ditched hand painted cel for computed colored frames, we are in the process of ditching hand drawn drawings for computer generated frames and then in-between will go the way of the dodo, so anime production will return to japan and whatever big talent is in another countries will fly to japan, just like it happens nowadays in hollywood.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Tue May 26, 2015 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
MisterLuck

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
H. Guderian wrote:

When Ghibli says they think closing as they cannot afford to make any more films in quality they want, I think we are doing pretty bad.

I think what they meant by that was Miyazaki's gone so we're gone.
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Robbybulidjetliner wrote:
It basically tits and ass over story...

Tits and ass are good too as sex sells.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12