• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Things They Never Tell You About Attending Conventions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
octopodpie wrote:
noblesse oblige wrote:
I think anyone in their 20's or anyone who's ever been camping is going to be okay sharing a hotel room with people.

You don't have to be "old" to be an introvert either. I'm in my 20s. You couldn't pay me to spend 72+ hours sharing a small space with more than two other people. Okay, maybe with my job you could pay me, but you get my point. I wouldn't fork money out of my own pocket to do it.

The article doesn't say not to share the room anyway, it just says if you can afford to share with just one other person you'll probably be happier.

The article was obviously written from the point of view of an introvert. Like most anime fans are anyway. I also hate sleeping with other people in the same room.

The article is written from the point of vue of someone that appreciates the "luxuries" of life (i.e. an adult and not a screaming teenager like most anime fans are). And being crammed with 6-12 dudes/gals in a hotel room for the weekend isn't a luxury. It's at the most a chore and at the worst hell on earth.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I don't think we have anything quite on this scale in Australia...and even if we did, nothing I hear about the large cons appeals to me at all.
I guess this is what it means to be getting old...

I attended SMASH in Sydney in 2011 to see Eminence Orchestra afterwards:

The song - Toshihiko Sahashi (Mobile Suit Gundam Seed) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdN_gqU7aRc

Afternoon Rain (Ookami Kakushi game soundtrack) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdN_gqU7aRc

My Neighbour Tottoro medley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-hAxANfbx8

It was nice to have composer Kenji Ito at SMASH also.

In 2012 I attended the local to me AVCON and paid extra to get to meet Crispin Freeman and Cassandra Lee Morris at the start.

Those kind of experiences were worth it.
meggu

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

The article was obviously written from the point of view of an introvert. Like most anime fans are anyway.

You clearly know what you're talking about! C8

I've been to Anime Weekend Atlanta 2009+2012, Momo-Con 2013, Omni-Expo 2015, and have had the opportunity to go to Summer Sacanime 2014 and Anime Expo 2014 because of my relocation due to college. There's a lot that comes to mind in terms of "what to do" and "what not to do" in medium-size/large conventions.

But the only advice I'll say is this: Don't lose your mind. Though conventions are always a nice way to have fun and meet people with likeminded interests, for some reason I sometimes see both teens AND adults suddenly regress to... children? Like I'm at a birthday party for a four-year old. It's a bit much. In voice acting panels especially, there are some people who tend to think it's okay to shout things while an actor is talking, so interrupting what they were trying to say? I get showing your enthusiasm for a topic, and some voice actors seem okay with it. But there are times where it's very distracting. And honestly? It's also pretty rude. Straight up.
duotrouble

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:52 pm Reply with quote
My badge for Momocon was mailed to me. I've had a couple of other cons offer me the mailed choice as well but I usually didn't take it because of my fear of missing it in the mail due to when I was traveling. But I was buying an adult pass so there was no worries of needing adult supervision.

I've been to Momocon, Comic Con, Anime Expo (AX), A-kon and Anime Weekend Atlanta (AWA). My experiences are much the same as the author. Those long waits in line aren't worth it. I've actually left panels thinking "why did I want to see this so badly". Yeah, plot out your high priority panels and then your secondary this sounds interesting panels. You'll be amazed how much fun that interesting sounding one really was.

I'm a fan of don't sit in the room and relax ever. Not even in the back of the room because I've been in panels where the place is just packed. At Comic Con, I stood in line for 2 1/2 hours for a panel that I didn't get into. I met a ton of people and got a lot of street passes for my 3DS but I missed seeing other panels. Why? Because at Comic Con they allow you to just hang out in the rooms. All the other cons I go to clear the rooms and I've never missed a panel I wanted to see. My problem was that a Resident Evil panel was in the same room as another panel hardly anyone was talking about was in. I was even trying to make deals with people that I would clear the room after my panel was over if they'd just let me get in front of them in line. Some did, which was really nice and trusting, but it didn't work. I left the line 30 minutes after my panel was supposed to have started since I was still 50 people away from the room and I knew it was the awful Q&A time.

If you can, don't share a room with more than one person. I totally agree with this. Getting enough sleep and time away from people will help you deal with getting stepped on, pushed and hit in the face with those backwings someone was wearing. No one is trying to do any of this but it's a crowded con. If you don't have enough rest, you just have a shorter fuse. To someone's point about this being a luxury idea and not realistic, no one says you have to stay at the hotel the con is in. There are plenty of cheaper options a little further away. You just might have to hoof it a bit or hop on the shuttles and taxis. At AX, I shared a room with 3 other women. Bathroom time was hard. Alone time was harder because one of the women was a friend of a friend of mine. My tolerance and trust was low with her as she was extremely needy and had to have her alone time for at least 2 hours every day so get out. It was really hard too when I hurt my wrist and wanted to lay down for a bit to be glared at the whole time for interrupting her alone time. Let's not even go into the splitting of the bill when someone dives into the minibar and you get some of those charges on your bill because the hotel doesn't know who did it but wants to be paid. Yeah, if you're going to double up, make sure it's with people you know and have experience with sleep overs.
kazume

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
Heading to AX this year with a family member; good read, i';lll be sure to forward him the article and just recently got my 'ticket' on eventbrites mobile app.

anyone got any info on this app? does the QR code on my phone now count as my ticket and I dont have to day 0 it now? Or do i still gotta go "pick up my ticket" even with the "ticket QR code" on my phone through eventbrite?"

ANy further advice would be appreciated Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
If you're wary about costs, I'd start with smaller, local cons to cut down on costs. This article is really for the big cons, which tend to take place in summer.

Small cons are a good place to cut your teeth on the con scene, see if that kind of thing is really for you and what not.

I have to agree with this suggestion. Even without the costs, the sheer amount of people and waiting can make the big cons daunting. When I go, it is always to a small convention, and that serves me just fine. Even registering at the door only runs $50, restaurants in the area might not be anything special, aside from the ones that are literally next door to the convention center, you won't have much trouble getting food quickly and at normal prices, plus there are only a few things that have lines that involve waiting ahead of time. Basically, there are other options to explore that may work better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8