• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Three Reasons Why Blood Blockade Battlefront is the Best Show of the Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SonOfaMonkey

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
@JesuOtaku Ah, that actually explains Nightow a bit more.

I'm inclined to disagree that all but super-devout Christians can be humanists while being consistent, since one of the main things humanism emphasises is, to borrow from Google, "the potential goodness of human beings." A basic tenant of most Christan denominations to my knowledge, outside of very universalist ones, is the opposite of that: human beings having greater potential for evil compared to good, instead relying on Christ to make up for the difference.

The two ideologies certainly have many of the same ends, but different ultimate means, it seems to me. To be fair though, I just remembered that Catholicism is the closest a mainstream Christian group (and one of the biggest ones) gets to plain humanism, which again explains Nightow better for me. Must've been my Protestant thinking making me forget.
Cephalo the Pod

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm...very much enjoying the show episode by episode. It looks good, it sounds good, it has good characters. It's definitely fun.

But it feels just a little bit...empty. Like it's missing something. Plot, maybe? Sure, there's important world-building in just about every episode, but there really isn't much of an overarching plot yet that's taking the whole show somewhere. I was glad that the Blood Breeds appeared in Ep4 and that they've been reappearing with some regularity.

I also feel like the show just has too much sometimes. Like, I was totally prepared for Femt to be the overall Big Bad of the 12 episodes, but then the vampires came in. That was a shame; I liked Femt. We don't know anything about some of the main members of Libra, like Chain Sumeragi or Steven A. Starphase. Leo's god-given mission hasn't been brought back up yet since the first episode, has it? To be fair, Leo doesn't have a clue where to start, and it could easily tie in with the Blood Breeds.

I feel like I would enjoy this so much more if it had another 12 episodes.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Each episode is so jam-packed of plot and other stuff, that by this point, it would feel odd should there be a more relaxed, slowed-down one.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
OK, here's how it went. Let me pain a picture: It's Sunday. There's five of us in the room looking at the TV. Nobody is eating or drinking. All five of us completely focused on the screen. Five 25-28 year old men on the edge of their seat from what is basically a game of CHESS. The most epic game of chess in the history of fiction. THAT'S when you know you've made a kick ass anime. MAN was that good.

And don't get me started on the vampires.
LokiReed

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
wait, this is only slated for 12 episodes?? I need 24!!!
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm missing something. The show looks nice, sure, but I've found it too episodic and disjointed to really catch on to it. When it's only 12 episodes, it feels like the show's wasting time.

Anyway, the tone of this article comes off as if it was an advertorial paid for by Funimation.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
I feel more or less the same as @justsomeaccount. This is definitely a good show... but I don't like it as much as I should. I don't know... it's something about the pacing and how certain parts of the plot are presented that irks me the wrong way. I also have some issues with the sound editing, which I sometimes find lacking, a bad thing for a show that relies so much in action.

Again, definitely a good show, but I can't just call it the "Best" show of the spring when it's on my low priority list (shows that don't make me feel a sense of urgency whenever I see a new episode up).

I feel pretty much the same way. (And I'm saying that as a big fan of Baccano! and someone who labeled Kyousogiga as the best series of 2013.) Of the nine shows that I'm actively trying to keep up with this season, BBB is invariably the lowest on my priority viewing list and the one that I am most apt to fall a week or two behind on. I just can't muster up a lot of enthusiasm for it.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
Yep, best of the season. I think basically everyone but Fate/Stay Night fans recognize that. Fate fans have been too busy watching Fate for the past few seasons to know that any other new anime have come out. Wink

I wouldn't go that far, and I think there's enough other reserved responses in this thread to put the lie to that.

But if you want to personally regard it as the best of the season, hey, that's your prerogative.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyron

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I will agree that BBB is the best show of the season, but there's just something missing, for me. It's enjoyable, wacky, zany, fun and stylish, and while I like almost all of the characters so far, I don't love any of them. There's just not enough emotional connection to any of them to really care too much (Klaus is my favorite character so far, though). It also moves way too fast for my taste, and the lack of focus on any main plot despite it being a single cour show is dragging it down in my opinion. I'm also concerned about how this show will wrap up. At this point, the ending will determine my ultimate feelings about the show. If they don't manage to tie up the loose ends, here's hoping for a season 2.
Best soundtrack of the season, though, definitely. Maybe not the year, but still, extra impressive.

The anime's skipped a bunch of subtler character moments for a majority of the cast except for Leo, along with whole arcs for some of the supporting cast members
it was too much content for 12 episodes
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Those two Pacific Rim guys Laughing

LokiReed wrote:
wait, this is only slated for 12 episodes?? I need 24!!!

This. I love this show so much, even already re-watching the early eps with the new dub to catch more stuff going on, it would be amazing if it were to get a second set of episodes rather than end at 12.

The dub needs to get on Toonami. Smile

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Wow, look at all the gushing over here! I'm gonna have to check this out sometime in the future. I already enjoyed Trigun a lot. (During the second half, I was saying VASH DON'T CRY PLEASE LET THIS HAVE A HAPPY ENDING every episode.) I think I'd like this.

Also, that monkey is effing cute. Anime smile <3

I think you'll love it.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Fri May 29, 2015 5:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
With some of the others on this, BBB is lost on me. Too episodic and almost every episode is stuffed to the brim with content. I don't like or dislike any of the characters since I haven't really gotten to spend quality time with them, and there's almost always some crazy event going on, wrapped up in the try hard to be cool attitude. My biggest issue is that there isn't a main plot for me to get into, sure you have the white & black issue but it just gets touched on every few episodes. I thought some major developments would have followed since the introduction of the Blood breed but nah. Speaking of the blood breed weren't they suppose to be like super dangerous? Leo falls to his knees and says " How have we been safe till now?". Yet Klaus walks away fine from a fight with one and then we have Zapp's master neutralize one on his own.

Well it's good that it's being praised, I hate to see a Bones show do bad. There shows have been a disappointment for me since Captain earth.
Cephalo the Pod

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Hyro_10 wrote:
Speaking of the blood breed weren't they suppose to be like super dangerous? Leo falls to his knees and says " How have we been safe till now?". Yet Klaus walks away fine from a fight with one and then we have Zapp's master neutralize one on his own.
Well, there's the Blood Breed, and then there's the Elder 13, their creators. Leo freaks out because spoiler[he saw a hundred(s?) Elders down there, not just 13.]

Klaus walked away from a fight with one Blood Breed and one Elder (the 13 combined are probably what makes them so scary), and that was only because Leo figured out her name. If Klaus hadn't been quick enough with the name-sealing, the Elder would probably have killed him easily.

Even then, Klaus is established as an utter ace. Anyone who gives him trouble is no one at whom to scoff. I haven't seen Episode 8 (just read Hope's review), but "Zapp's master" sounds like someone who'd be just as (if not more) exceptional than Klaus.
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Cephalo the Pod wrote:
Well, there's the Blood Breed, and then there's the Elder 13, their creators. Leo freaks out because spoiler[he saw a hundred(s?) Elders down there, not just 13.]

Klaus walked away from a fight with one Blood Breed and one Elder (the 13 combined are probably what makes them so scary), and that was only because Leo figured out her name. If Klaus hadn't been quick enough with the name-sealing, the Elder would probably have killed him easily.

Fair point but that set up is what made it less scary for me. They never gave me a chance to feel how much damage they can do, instead we have a tough and pretty contained fight.

Cephalo the Pod wrote:
Even then, Klaus is established as an utter ace. Anyone who gives him trouble is no one at whom to scoff. I haven't seen Episode 8 (just read Hope's review), but "Zapp's master" sounds like someone who'd be just as (if not more) exceptional than Klaus.

Again we or at least I never get to see how tough they are cause they're always stopped by aces.
Nyron

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Hyro_10 wrote:
Cephalo the Pod wrote:

Fair point but that set up is what made it less scary for me. They never gave me a chance to feel how much damage they can do, instead we have a tough and pretty contained fight.

Cephalo the Pod wrote:

Again we or at least I never get to see how tough they are cause they're always stopped by aces.

blah blah blah manga manga

episode 4 neglected to include a lot of things, like that blood breed woman's whole schtick, and some scenes where she was dismantling the police suits with a single finger

They're also not necessarily scary just because they're powerful, they're scary because they're completely indestructible and as strong or stronger than Libra's best. Even though (half) of one of them got tooled by Zap's Master, it took a ridiculous effort and then proceeded to be an even bigger pain in the ass once it was defeated.

I mean, think about that, a sentient pair of pants leveled a few city blocks and took some DBZ-power level shit to simply stop for a while
Hyro_10

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Nyron wrote:

They're also not necessarily scary just because they're powerful, they're scary because they're completely indestructible and as strong or stronger than Libra's best. Even though (half) of one of them got tooled by Zap's Master, it took a ridiculous effort and then proceeded to be an even bigger pain in the ass once it was defeated.

As someone with no knowledge of the manga I can only judge what I see from the anime. I didn't see indestructability, I saw two blood breeds get beat in a subway (correct me if I'm wrong, one might have escaped I don't remember) and one being stopped by a single person, who if I recall correctly was missing parts of himself too or looked like her was.

Nyron wrote:
I mean, think about that, a sentient pair of pants leveled a few city blocks and took some DBZ-power level shit to simply stop for a while

It's funny now that you point it out but I just attributed it to the over the top nature of the show. Just some explosions here and there nothing really. Hard for me to take the show seriously.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Hyro_10 wrote:
Hard for me to take the show seriously.

I can't imagine wanting to take it seriously! I mean, it makes me feel things sometimes, because it's well-written and produced and has nice mushy ideas about people and stuff, but it's still an action-comedy cartoon spectacle. "Taking it seriously" isn't really in the cards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7