• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Gets 'Big News' in 30th Shonen Jump Issue on June 22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooven

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope the news is that it's ending soon. But that is wishful thinking. Also maybe a break from the anime would be good. Yikes that quality :/
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I could do with a 1/2 year break in the One Piece anime.

I would be surprised if this wasn't a movie announcement honestly. It's been a long time.
link9us

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Toei won't stop one of their main caash cows, so I doubt therenwill be any break. But they might announce a series of compilation movies for Dressrosa arc, which might be a good thing.

I honestly hope its something even more significant then that, like maybe a time line or a special surprise of the direction of where the plot is going to be heading form here. Like some one else, said, the reveal of a new straw hat would be awesome to. But something that actually has to do with the manga it self.

Both Kishi and Kubo both had major announcements in regards to this, so oda may feel that he wants to make a huge announcement like that to in relation to the arcs or the story. Mabye he will reveal "more information behind the 500 year mystery war" which would be [expletive] sweet.
Danny123100

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I hope the news is that it's ending soon. But that is wishful thinking. Also maybe a break from the anime would be good. Yikes that quality :/

It's not that it's ending soon. It hasn't even been a year since Oda last announced One Piece was going to be going on for another 10 years. The most likely odd is that it's going to be a movie. Personally I'd like either a movie announcement or a break from the anime announcement, but I don't think Toei is going to offer to take a break from the anime unless it absolutely needs to..
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:41 am Reply with quote
My guess: Oda is going to throw another party, this time for the super-fans. He will release One Piece Quiz Book 3, and only those who can get 90% or more of the questions correctly can go. He will not provide an answer guide at the back of the book this time, to be released separately after the party is over. There will be a voucher within the book redeemable for an answer guide after that date.

The exception is Greg Werner, who gets a free invitation for being the biggest One Piece super-fan ever, being an American who can speak fluent Japanese, having been on at least two Japanese TV quiz shows, having been recognized by Oda personally at least three times, and now having his own column on the Shueisha website discussing tiny details in each chapter. (This column is responsible for one of those direct recognitions--he deduced the floor plan of Dressrosa Palace, and Oda e-mailed Werner saying he now had to change the story because the floor plan was not actually finalized yet.) If you see a white guy in Japan with a big fuzzy pre-timeskip Chopper hat, that's him.

MasterKingJC wrote:
Desertking22 wrote:
Maybe its final arc is coming since Bleach is ending and Naruto ended? I mean granted I Love One Piece to bits and i wish it could go on but lately with these ailments and breaks Oda has been taking I think it's time. He created a wonderful world that who knows what else exists in that world.

You must not read the same One Piece at all if you believe it's anywhere close to ending.
Laughing

On top of that, you must not be also following Hunter x Hunter. I do--whenever a manga author takes a break, I think of Yoshihiro Togashi and I realize it's not all that bad. Oda needs them anyway.
ArgentiumTea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Anime will have a 1 year break and then madhouse will start animating it.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:24 am Reply with quote
grooven wrote:
I hope the news is that it's ending soon.

If it ended soon it would completely destroy the flow of the series and would obviously not be what Oda intended in writing it.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
Anime will switch to a half-episode format, doubled up with half-episodes of another Jump title soon to be announced. The respective series' half-episodes will be be reassembled on home video, so the only differences collectors will see will be less frequent volumes and tighter pacing.

Please.

Quote:
One Piece The Movie: Dressrosa Episode (2 hr. 15 min.)

That sounds just about right, actually.
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'd be incredibly shocked if it's anything other than a new film.

However, it would only be super exciting if the film is actually canon, but with the attitude Oda has towards the anime and the films and specials, it won't be. Still, the films always have solid production value and are fun, so I'm still looking forward to it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Kutovo: Toei has no choice in the mangaka deciding to call it quits. Best they can do, if that happens, is beg Oda to approve the One Piece equivalent of DBGT.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Anime will switch to a half-episode format, doubled up with half-episodes of another Jump title soon to be announced. The respective series' half-episodes will be be reassembled on home video, so the only differences collectors will see will be less frequent volumes and tighter pacing.

Please.

That would improve the anime to such an extent, I would start watching it again.
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
ArgentiumTea wrote:
Anime will have a 1 year break and then madhouse will start animating it.

Not only Copyright takes more time than 1 year, so Toei will still get the rights, but Toei is the best, most profitable and oldest Weekly Shonen Jump partner. So Weekly Shonen Jump asking the rights back from Toei is a sure NO.
One Piece the anime franchise making more money in Japan and World due mainly to the TV anime. The TV anime is also one of the most watched in Japan overall, getting each week around 5th place.

Oda likes the anime and a lot of fans also do. Toei is earning a lot of money with the series, Weekly Shonen Jump is also earning a lot of money with it.

There is literally no reason for the series to change company hands.

About Toei being the best, oldest and most profitable WSJ partner.
Quote:

Mega Popular series
1- Mazinger Z series(began in 1972, 3 years run) ->(First Mecha)
2- Dr. Slump(began in 1981, 5 years run)
3- Kinnikuman A.K.A Ultimate Muscle(began in 1983, 3.5 years run)
4- Fist of the North Star(began in 1984, 3.5 years run)
5- Dragon Ball(began in 1986, 10 years run)
6- Saint Seiya(began in 1986, 2.5 years run)
7- Magical Taruruto kun(began in 1990, 2 years run)
8- Slam Dunk(began in 1993, 2.5 years run)
9- One Piece(began in 1999, 16 years run and still continuing)
10- BOBOBO-Bo Bo-BOBO(began in 2003, 2 years run)
11- Toriko(began in 2011, 3 years run)

There is no other Animation Studio with as much WSJ mega hits as Toei. And notice that I'm not talking of just popular series, that Toei has a dozen more of them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:25 am Reply with quote
big: That was then, this is now. Naruto, Gintama and Kuroko are way more popular than most of today's Toei anime not named One Piece or PreCure.
chex mix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, dude, you may or may not be right, but you're gonna have to do better than that for evidentiary support. Shocked Either overall numbers or last 10-20 years, please.
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
big: That was then, this is now. Naruto, Gintama and Kuroko are way more popular than most of today's Toei anime not named One Piece or PreCure.

You're comparing all popular series of the magazine against a company, that is pretty wrong.
Because you didn't removed Dragon Ball, then yes, Toei Dragon Ball franchise(right now) is more popular than Naruto, Gintama and Kuroko.

Note:
Naruto -> Studio Pierrot
Gintama -> Bandai Namco Pictures(before it was from Sunrise)
Kuroko -> Production I.G

So every of those titles are given to different studios. Is not all of them against Toei, but each of those studios against Toei.

Let's see:
From Weekly Shonen Jump titles:
Pierrot -> Only dealing with Naruto.
Bandai Namco Pictures -> Only dealing with Gintama.
Production I.G -> Dealing with Kuroko no Basket(will bring again Haikyuu!! in the summer with movies and in Fall with 2nd season anime)
Lerche -> Dealing with Assassination Classroom.
J.C. Staff -> Dealing with Shokugeki no Soma
Shaft -> Dealing with Nisekoi
Toei Animation -> Dealing with One Piece, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya and World Trigger.

The most popular franchise right now(my estimate):
- One Piece
- Dragon Ball
- Naruto
- Assassination Classroom, Haikyuu!!, Kuroko no Basket
- Gintama, Saint Seiya(Saint Seiya is probably bigger)
- Nisekoi
- World Trigger, Shokugeki no Soma(World Trigger anime had a bigger manga boost than what Shokugeki no Soma is showing. Depending in DVD/BD sales of Shokugeki no Soma it can be bigger than even Nisekoi)

In terms of Weekly Shonen Jump titles the biggest companies right now, in order are:
1- Toei
2- Production I.G.
3- Studio Pierrot
4- Lerche
5- Bandai Namco Pictures
6- Shaft
7- J.C.Staff

So,
Is Toei big in terms of Weekly Shonen Jump Today? It definitely is.
Is Toei Big Today? Adding to the WSJ titles we have Precure, Sailor Moon and Robot Girls Z A.K.A Moe Mazinger Z. You end up with a Big yes!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4