• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
House of 1000 Manga - Five Amazing Untranslated Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
Because Japan is a narrow-minded, nationalist and arrogant country, it's bound to be that way. There is a belief that Japanese are really smart people. THEY. ARE. NOT. The Japanese pioneers/scientists that invent things tend to be that way. The average citizen tends to only be good at breathing, eating and well, just doing nothing in their flawed excuse of a modern culture & being adverse to change & foreigners. Don't get me wrong, I love Japanese Manga/Anime but I hate a lot of things about the country, Especially the J-idol industry and fandom.

I suppose that you have lived in Japan enough to have been able to come to that conclusion. How about before throwing in one race as a whole and making the accusations that you have better have some damn good evidence to back that up. I love the US as my home country but it seems that with Twitter and the Kardashians that people in the US seem to becoming mindless bots for the internet. Just how many Japanese people have you met to base your claims? One? Twenty? One hundred?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:55 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:

How about before throwing in one race as a whole and making the accusations that you have better have some damn good evidence to back that up. I love the US as my home country but it seems that with Twitter and the Kardashians that people in the US seem to becoming mindless bots for the internet.

Keep in mind, Japan loves Twitter and used by the majority of Japanese social network users. Laughing

http://www.emarketer.com/Article/Japan-India-Boast-Largest-Twitter-Audiences-APAC/1011917

So not brush their whole race with broad stroke.
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
StrangeIslands wrote:
Ah, piss off you bucket of worthless arrogance & wasted flesh. We all should know that the companies I'm talking about are not the good companies like Funimation. But subsidiaries like Aniplex USA, Ponycan USA, Kodansha USA etc. of Japanese corporations that just want to make as much profit as humanly possible while maintaining control of everything as much as possible in their own nation. That's the only reason those companies exist.

Because Japan is a narrow-minded, nationalist and arrogant country, it's bound to be that way. There is a belief that Japanese are really smart people. THEY. ARE. NOT. The Japanese pioneers/scientists that invent things tend to be that way. The average citizen tends to only be good at breathing, eating and well, just doing nothing in their flawed excuse of a modern culture & being adverse to change & foreigners. Don't get me wrong, I love Japanese Manga/Anime but I hate a lot of things about the country, Especially the J-idol industry and fandom.

Most Japanese people are extremely welcoming, polite, and curious about those with different backgrounds. (Just like most Americans. Funny thing.) Your racist, xenophobic comments say more about you than about them.

As for how smart they are, well, have a look at where Japan falls on this list versus the US... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PISA_2012

And I'd just like to emphasize this point:

GVman wrote:
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
That's the good thing with Tokyopop, they didn't care about risks.

And then they went out of business.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 am Reply with quote
You anons derailed pretty hard within a page. How about you bring it back and shine a light on more uncharted manga. Just a though Wink.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:30 pm Reply with quote
If I exclude manga that have been translated into French but not English, I think my top untranslated manga, besides the old "untranslated manga" perennial Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, would be Minami-ke, although I am fully aware why the domestic publishers aren't tripping over themselves in a race to license it.

Minami-ke is a manga where you really have to have a sense of humour on a very similar comedy wavelength to the mangaka, Coharu Sakuraba, to find it funny, otherwise you'll just find it to be a very mild comedy about manners and misunderstandings with few actual laughs. Also, the manga art is fairly rudimentary, an example where the anime character designs are actually an improvement over the original manga (yes, even Asread's designs, at least when they're "on model"). And having at least three tiers of supporting characters in three different schools (in the same grade as each of the three sisters from the main Minami family) can be confusing, especially when some of the classmates are drawn quite similarly.

I mean, yeah, I fully admit Minami-ke is not a manga I would likely care about had it not been adapted into anime (which also hasn't been licensed except for the fourth season for online streaming-only), but I'm someone who would like a chance to own the original source material even if I think the anime (specifically Studio Daume/Masahiko Ohta's first season) is superior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MysticLeviathan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Kingdom and Hajime no Ippo are two series that come to mind. Both are really great series imo and are/were reasonably popular in Japan at one point, and both are serialized in relatively popular magazines, so I find it very shocking neither are officially licensed in English. Unfortunately, both have a ton of volumes released already, Kingdom has close to 40 volumes released already and Hajime no Ippo has over 100, so the likelihood they get officially licensed in print is probably very low, however the possibility of their being released digitally might still be there.

Both are superb series that deserve an official release imo.
Nanica54

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to thank the author for mentioning Yuko Tsuno. I looked her up on Amazon Japan and there isn't much available, but I then looked down at the "people who bought this also bought that" list and there's a lot there that seems interesting. Adding several of them to my reading list.

Silver Spoon probably would not sell in the US, so not much chance of seeing it here. Likewise for something like Innocent, which is probably too graphic for this country's audience. I'm reading both of those in French and enjoying them very much.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I've seen an English edition of Silver Spoon volume 1 on the manga shelf at Power Books. It's published by Shogakukan Asia, which I think is based in Singapore.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:33 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
For what it's worth, I've seen an English edition of Silver Spoon volume 1 on the manga shelf at Power Books. It's published by Shogakukan Asia, which I think is based in Singapore.

Yeah, the Shōgakukan Asia website has pages about it.

http://shogakukan.asia/silver-spoon-1/
http://shogakukan.asia/silver-spoon-2/

invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
On my semi-monthly work trips to San Francisco, I've been going by Books Kinokuniya, and lately I've been trying to amass a complete collection of Dengeki Daioh for 2015. This is one of the most popular manga anthology magazines (mostly seinen), with 30+ chapters a month, and barely any of them are available in English. Offhand, I think Yotsuba! is the only current one coming out here. It drove home just how much manga there is out there, and how little of it we actually get here.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
^ Is Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow still running in Dengeki Daioh? It seems to have been "on hiatus" since November 2012 (IIRC), but most sources seem to still list it as "ongoing".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ Is Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow still running in Dengeki Daioh? It seems to have been "on hiatus" since November 2012 (IIRC), but most sources seem to still list it as "ongoing".

According to the Dengeki Daioh site, some recent issues of the magazine carried Ichigo Marshmallow.
Since the author Barasuī is moé manga's Togashi, the pace of the magazine's carrying the manga in question is still slow, though.

invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
According to the Dengeki Daioh site, some recent issues of the magazine carried Ichigo Marshmallow.

It's not in the May or June issues. I haven't unwrapped July yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3