• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

That was interesting, a bit slow in terms of pacing but captured the right moments imo in terms of depicting the reality of warfare. Mika is one of those guys that isn't afraid to kill someone or asked or needs to.

As for Aina, I really hope she will play a more useful role in the future. The show has been featuring her prominently but so far doesn't make her seem that useful yet. Good episode overall though. Mika really impresses me with his skills in this series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Ep 3, I get a feeling that Mika is written to be a sociopathic character considering how he can unflinchingly kill off people simply because his handler Orga said so.

Will have to wait and see if this is proven the case or simply early episode coincidence, but he seems to have some creepy habits developing which makes Mika's character interesting and disturbing all at the same time.
Souther

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:42 am Reply with quote
Mika's definitely ruthless and cold, but I think his decision to off those guys was made easier by the fact they were jerks and got their friends killed. I think the question is, what will happen if Orga wants Mika to do something he's not comfortable with? That's a possible set-up for conflict.

Kudelia's already showing a lot of resolve. She was even willing to get the operation to be able to pilot the Barbatos.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Slow but meaningful episode. We get the princess establishing important relationships especially with Mika. Speaking of who, it looks like Mika has some physical modification implanted in his body. My guess is that although they grant him some abnormal abilities, it also probably comes with some side effects.

Oh and I think it's fairly obvious that Atra has a crush on Mika by this point given her reactions. Wonder if she will play a prominent role later on in this season.

Lol @ the corn picking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Ok, at this point there is less coincidence but more of figuring a level of "how sociopathic IS Mika?", unless Mika has firmly decided that you are effectively "family" crossing him or the ones he cares about even in the slightest will score you a world of hurt in the BEST case scenario.

Such a trait can be taken as admirable, but when examined it is much more frightening of what potential rage induced violence Mika might be capable of which in the long run might cost him especially if he is inside the cockpit of a death machine.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:40 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
...it looks like Mika has some physical modification implanted in his body. My guess is that although they grant him some abnormal abilities, it also probably comes with some side effects.

It grants him the ability to link up with the Gundam. He's not the only one, as we've seen single nodes on some of the other kids so they can operate those worker mechs (hence all the shirtlessness), he's just the only one with three implants.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:17 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they grant Mika increased spatial awareness, but linking up to the Gundam frazzles his brain and causes him to bleed.

Every instance where Mika has displayed his ruthlessness is when his friends were in danger/were hurt/killed. Life's been incredibly rough for him and he's definitely got issues, though I don't think he's a psycho.

Why'd they marry off a 9-year old to a grown man anyway lol?
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:

Why'd they marry off a 9-year old to a grown man anyway lol?

They aren't married yet, just engaged. Political reasons, maybe?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Life's been incredibly rough for him and he's definitely got issues, though I don't think he's a psycho.

I don't think he is a "pscyho" in that his actions will suddenly become arbitrary, but there is no doubt that Mika's outlook on life is different enough that it noticeably scares even his longest and closest friend, and certainly Orga too has seen his share of crap but he isn't able to coldly execute other human beings without flinching.

Quote:
They aren't married yet, just engaged. Political reasons, maybe?

Perhaps it is hinting there is a sort of new age aristocracy in the earth sphere without going into extensive detail... yet.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
It defently seems like Earth is the Space Aristocrat faction this Gundam iteration.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Great action and risky strategy! I gotta give Eugene some credit for pulling that off as that looked hard as hell. Mika is a legit badass pilot imo. "It's that Chocolate Man". Ha. I got a feeling they will face each other again in the future. Gaelio's piloting skills is alright, didn't impress me that much though.

Todo got what he deserved lol. The coward bastard has gotten on almost everyone's nerves including mine. Overall good episode.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Interesting episode despite the lack of action.

We got some emphasis on the Barbatos' background in the first half.

Aina also began teaching Mika and the kids how to write. I think it'll be important for Mika as his name will be his identity and something he'll treasure in addition to improving his Gundam maintenance skills. Good focus on the bromance part at the end between Mika and Orga too. I feel like they have such a strong bond in this show. I hope Takaki also plays a prominent role in this season as well since he is the leader of those kids.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Edit: Whoops, I forgot we need to post episode numbers we discuss, the sixth it is.

So significant things that happen were: We find out who is controlling Mars, whose ship they stole finds out his property is stolen, and orbital path detailing. That really felt like quarter of an episode stretched out given how little the content was, that is probably least productive episode of any gundam series I've seen since the beginning of Aseum's arc in Age which is setting off a flag or two. Come to think of it I have seen similar plot stretching in eps 2 and 4, is this going to be a pattern? I hope not.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I've been suspicious of Fumitan since she disappeared before the first raid, and this episode seemed to confirm she's a little shady. Either she's working for the enemy or she is super-loyal and doesn't think her mistress should go to Earth and has something else in mind, but yeah, don't trust her with all the coms!

At least Fumitan wasn't as obvious as Todo. Now I'm thinking that was to divert our attention away from her.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:09 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Damn, this episode was nothing short of being incredible. The action in space was just brilliant that matches with the choreography and OST.

I have to say though, Tekkadan pulled out some very risky moves including almost running into their enemies although their real motives of that tactic was revealed during the fight as well. Mika continuously to impress me with his clever and risky tactics as well against that new female pilot. Overall, very entertaining episode~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13