• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
S2 ep 23
Politically, this season has been McGillis story for quite some time with Tekkedan haplessly being forced into combat situations as part of the back and forth power play within Gjallahorn.

Orga had been an unwitting pawn given glimpses of a "better life" outside the usual threats that human debree would face on an unending battlefield, yet all his efforts has made himself and his "family" come into fierce conflicts that would rival events that occurred in season one.

spoiler[Orga died at a moment when he believed a future where the surviving members of Tekkedan have a chance to finally evade there pursuers.
The closing comment of the "next episode" announcement where Mika ponders asking Orga recommendation for a baby name almost cements the idea that even Mika has his death flag raised just as high as Orga's.

Something else to toss out, those were Nobliss Gordon's men that performed the assassination, another mirror to Season 1 where Fumitan died protecting Kudelia.

While Tekkedan certainly will no longer have ambition's of being "king of Mars" that doesn't mean they will not be able to bite back if prodded, Eugene has enough military prowess and Chad could keep the morale up long enough to make sure the rest of Tekkedan arrives safely to earth, and of course is not to speak of whatever last battle Mika has in him.]

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I certainly wasn't expecting what happened in this episode to happen as soon as it did!
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I cringe whenever I see Orga meet with McGillis alone without Eugene present, McGillis is a wild card. He wants Tekkadan to fight it's way through. However, any such battle will involve Eugene who is responsible for field operations and getting Tekkadan either to safety or victory, he will definitely make sure a person like McGillis do not make a mess for him to clean up on the battle field. Eugene is not as kind, not as emotional, and not as simple minded as Orga.

I find it hard to believe that Orga is really dead. I am not keen to speculate who did it. It could be anyone, including staged by Tekkadan itself to make it appear as if the boss is dead. I'm in denial that Orga is dead.

IBO breaks all the rules.......1. The Harem. 2. Child soldiers. 3. Sexual relationships involving minors.

Oh....I am curious to see what happens to Almiria.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
Sigh out of all the characters, it had to be Orga...

I wonder how Mika will respond to this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
So the only thing to wait for in the upcoming finale is if weather or not Gaelio "wakes up to JUSTICE", McGillis might have been the man that killed him once before, but his wickedness clearly pales over the blatant vile coming from Rustal.

I am still of the mind that there is going to be a time skip at the half way point with Almiria calling out the atrocities committed by the airanrhod fleet, it will do nothing for the dead and suffering but it would be some effort to try to provide some form of justice beyond the status quo of "might makes right".
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Totally love the battle between Bael and Veda. Final conversation between the 2 men was also very emotionally moving. Very beautifully done, in good taste and elegance. Such lovely animation. Although I did not expect McGillis to die, I am nevertheless feel relief that he is dead. I would have expected both McGillis and Gaelio to die together.

I DO NOT draw similarities between Char and McGillis because Char would not have been killed like this, he's a better commander, strategist and pilot than McGillis. Char had personal reasons to kill Gamma Zabi and he was very efficient in carrying out the assassination. Char did not fail to kill if he sets his mind to kill.

I expect Almiria to commit suicide. While she's impressive with her loyalty to McGillis, she stayed at home instead of flying to be by his side, moreover, she did nothing to help McGillis.

Looks like this is a "kill them all" series. Traditionally, all major Gundam titles always result in victory for the protagonist. So, I'm not as pessimistic about Mika's chance of victory.

I am wondering how Mika will fight Gaelio.

I am not surprised at how Mika reacted to Orga's death. Like Setsuna of Gundam 00, Mika is not the "nervous breakdown type", he is also not the whinny type that I hate (Shall not name names here). In UC lingo, Mika is the type who does not deserve the "Bright Slap". Wink

Personally, I prefer Eugene to McGillis in terms of personality, ability and charm. Eugene is the better strategist, at least he won't fight battles he cannot win. That battle between Bael and Veda is like a suicide. Not wise. Not cool. Not something Char would do. If Char had taken on such a mission, he would have won or he dies, he takes his opponent with him in death.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Todo is going to get one last scene having effectively been absent majority of this second season.
The show already made it a point that he has enough "connections" that he could get McGillis into orbit without being detected, Zack being the financial negotiator would pay anything in his pocket and the Tekkedan bank accounts to survive.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually extremely happy with this finale. This is really the only way the show could have ended and it restrained itself from going full grimderp.

Iok dies and Akihiro gets to reuinite with Lafter.

Julietta lives and hooks up with Galelio.

Mikazuki finds peace in his final moments and everyone else gets their happy endings.

I suppose it sucks a bit that Rustal didn't get his comeuppance but at least he's doing some good in his new position. McGillis and Tekkadan might have been destroyed, but their actions inevitably resulted in positive change.

Also Nobliss dies on the shitter. Quite appropriate.

Season 1 was good, but good in that sort of cold, machine like way. It didn't really click with me on an emotional level, but season 2 fixed that. I'm not exactly sure what they did differently but I genuinely started caring about characters and events. Overall the series is true Gundam, but different enough to be a refreshing entry into the franchise.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It was very satisfying to see Iok get slowly crushed to death! Glad to see that he didn't get to go out bravely in a glorious battle.

I believe this is the first Gundam series in which the main character doesn't actually survive the show's ending.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
It is difficult to cap off a series, and damned this is one of the strongest ways to close the curtain on the story of Tekkedan.

The only thing missing... what happened to Almiria after Gjallahorns dismantle...?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I believe this is the first Gundam series in which the main character doesn't actually survive the show's ending.

Well, so far as TV series goes, sure. Though you might count Flit since he was dead from old age in AGE's epilogue.

I was totally expecting to see a bedridden Mikazuki at the very end but they didn't go that route.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I like the way Akihiro fought, he dies taking the opponent with him in death. Now, that's a true Samurai!

I am disappointed at the way Mika ended. For too long now, my favorite Gundam protaganist had been Kamille of Zeta, Shiro of the 08th team and Setsuna of 00. I was hoping Mika of IBO would replace one of them as my top 3 favorite, but oh.....no! He is the only protagonist who dies in battle and he died without killing his opponent (Julietta, Gaelio or Rustal). This is the only Gundam series where a person in the likes of Rustal wins big. Very disturbing.

As for Mika, he fought only to obey Orga and Orga made a lot of mistakes. Kudelia had a good reason to fight. Oh Mika....I was so hoping he could be one of my favorites but no. The last man standing is the victor. I can't imagine that victor is Julietta. I have nothing against Julietta, but not when Mika ends like this and she claims victory.

The last man standing is the victor. This is something Himura Kenshin of Rurouni Kenshin would say. I am disappointed with Mika.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I think you're missing the point. Mika followed Orga's orders because he trusted Orga would bring them to "the place they belong." Mikazuki had always fought solely for that purpose. But in the end he finally realises they had already reach that place long ago. He had achieved his life's goal. His fight was over.
ivorymoose

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
The way Mika dies is still not acceptable to me. I would rate IBO 1 out of 10 and even 0 out of 10. A man in the likes of Rustal wins? Juliette holds up the head of the Barbatos proclaiming victory? What a joke.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Gee, it's almost as if war isn't fair or something...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13