• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shomin Sample (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
At any rate, even if it was just yuri baiting I'd rather avoid getting involved with another show whose fandom will likely try to shame me away from it when I view the relationships as platonic rather than romantic.

Honestly, most of it is platonic, as a fan of yuri I would say that. beyond the name it is a lot like K-ON, with a few jokes way too deep of a crush that the other character clearly ignores or blissfully has no clue, and a yuri fangirl. I am not even sure baiting is the right word, I think most people feel it is largely a reason to see characters act goofy.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
episode five

Easily my favorite episode so far. Seems a lot of other folks enjoyed the Yuru Yuri reference as much as I did.

I'm wondering how the childhood friend who was introduced in this episode is going to fit in to the picture since she's not actually at the school with Kimito. IIRC, she's the one that got him in to this situation too so I suppose she has a lot to answer for as well.

Try microwaving Dr. Pepper to be about the same temperature as a tea. It's good!
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
episode five

Try microwaving Dr. Pepper to be about the same temperature as a tea. It's good!

Are you being serious? Don't tempt me lol.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
A trip to a commoner theme land...

Honestly, that mascot of the McDonalds parody guy was creepy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
The McDonalds food rant was pretty good, although also hit me in that I have avoided eating such fast food in the last several months. Ironically the only times I have gotten from them was something from there was by a new system of gourmet burgers which actually does get delivered to the table.

Things seem to be going too well for Aika, there is probably going to be some kind of fall.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
episode six

It's a good thing those burgers were higher quality than normal McDonalds burgers. No bloating, diarrhea, and regret to worry about that way. Razz

WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Are you being serious? Don't tempt me lol.

Yep, I'm being serious. Just, y'know, put it in something microwave safe. I do think it tastes good, but maybe I'm weird.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The McDonalds food rant was pretty good, although also hit me in that I have avoided eating such fast food in the last several months.

I have avoided fast food most of my adult life. I think I have had two McD burgers in the last 40 years. Although I have had a number of Taco Bells so I am not really pure.

The meat that large scale manufacturing operations uses is not healthy. It is also cruel to the animals. When I eat meat I try for organic, pasture raised meat products, and the fast food outlets that come close (that I know of) are Chipotle and Panera. It doesn't have to cost thousands of yen.
Quote:
Things seem to be going too well for Aika, there is probably going to be some kind of fall.

Well at least we don't have another Tomoko on our hands. I don't think she is really being set up for a fall but obviously the intent of the story is to show that all the girls have something to learn.

I hope Reiko doesn't end up destructively jealous of Aika, because that was was it looked like they were setting up. Although I wouldn't object to some more underwear wrestling.

Last edited by HaruhiToy on Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
So we got the inevitable onsen theme episode this week. I think the show is trying to explore every idea of a harem anime out of the book now.

And that CPR kiss.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
I thought it was sort of interesting how they could change the meaning of a line so much by showing the context of it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

So the harsh maid is actually in love with him? Trying to figure out if that makes her a kuudere or a tsundere.

I do like that the male character has some quirks of his own. Despite all the obvious romance stuff, I do stick with at the least there is important platonic relationships he has with the girls. Especially noting him enjoying the look of Aika before taking a step back that she is an important friend to him, which makes the decision for them to start distancing all the more problematic. Which seems to be why she decided to let the rumours go a bit longer.

Although he does seem to allow a different relationship with Karen. His teasing of her was funny, but he was also getting her to lighten up a bit. He did essentially kind of flirt with her, which explained her giving him a slap upon thinking that he was dating Aika.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

They really took the fortune telling stuff far this week...
Karen's 100 points turned her into "taking action". And is it also just me or does anime logic often make coincidence into really awkward scenarios?

I suppose because the girls in this series are so clueless about common sense that they took the sumo wrestling stuff as part of fortune.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:31 am Reply with quote
I must have missed the point where Karen got her attention onto being more interested in him. I am not really complaining though, there has been some events since the rocky start and I do enjoy her character. So strange that this is one of my top shows of the season, by all rights it should be terrible but I end up enjoying it.

The episode tackled fortune telling, and I think did alright with how it was done with these adolescent girls just introduced to the concept. And probably also did a job of describing the personalities of the girls and maybe how they work with Kimito. Also he shows some interesting traits too. I stick with my point that I think this all works without actual romance, but although Karen was towards the bottom of my list I do think her with Kimito is nice.

The preview has already made me laugh, I am looking forward to the next episode. I wonder if or when we will finally have his childhood friend pop in, although with the place the maid took up it could be getting a bit crowded.

And one final note, something I often like to comment on is on the opening or closing theme. I quite like the OP of this show, there are little bits that make me laugh like the bit where all the girls are holding up a big bun except for Hakua who's hands are just in the air because she is too small. I feel like it is the perfect work of showcasing the characteristics of all the characters while making it feel fun. The muscle men was a bit hard to deal with, largely because it felt like it was making fun of that sort of thing, but it has kind of grown onto me for actually not being that prevelant in the series. Well the muscle thing in this episode was some comedy thing he was watching online, and I can kind of sympathise with that sort of thing. I like it as long as it is not mean, maybe instead saying something like "yeah, these are muscles, deal with it". Kind of makes me think of the series Macademi Wasshoi, a kind of easily forgotten series but had a very humorous parody episode.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I must have missed the point where Karen got her attention onto being more interested in him. I am not really complaining though, there has been some events since the rocky start and I do enjoy her character. So strange that this is one of my top shows of the season, by all rights it should be terrible but I end up enjoying it.

It's my top show of the season and by all rights, I feel it should be a little wider known... Funimation's even doing a dub for it but it's still underwatched for the most part.

I love the recent plot twist Kujo's character has taken and with that revelation, quite a few things start to make more sense, from who's paying for his total transfer and why she's fixated on him having a male muscle fixation. On the other hand, she seems like a stalker, a molester and a kidnapper... mostly because she kind of is all those things. I really do like this twist.

And that last scene of episode seven was my second favorite of the season, just behind this show's Ronald McJoker with his own "Deet do deet do... ehh" jingle. I really am loving it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Those shorts must be made of Kevlar in order to not rip open when she wears them.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:48 pm Reply with quote
^
I worry more about Karen cutting off the blood flow to her legs. She's too young for an amputation.

One thing I'm not quite sure what to make of is that Kimito doesn't seem to have any romantic interest in the girls that I've caught. This wouldn't seem to be due to him trying to maintain his gay cover since he doesn't really hide his interest in their bodies at all. With all these feelings toward and no apparent reciprocation anywhere, I can imagine a problem down the line but I don't get the impression the series is going to make it that far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5