• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Under the Dog Anime Project Streams New Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Thrilled to see an anime being made outside the usual corporate structure. I'll be happy to watch and support it if it makes it to my subscription streaming services. To be fair, I'm also curious to see its quality since I've heard that a standard, decent quality anime season costs around $2 million.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:37 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That doesn't make it groundbreaking or non-generic now, not when we still have GitS and Psycho-Pass ongoing. For the amount of hype they're dumping into this, there had better be zero CG elements and animation mostly on the 2s.

Oh I asked about CG in regards to vehicles, and they said it would be CG just like the trailer.

You maybe interested in Coluboccoro, the guy who made it said he wanted to make a title that expiremnted with hand drawn animation. He seems like a modest guy to, not the stuck up American panders that Kinema Citrus seem to be.
Kreion

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:43 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
I remember someone saying they probably didn't make it in the 90s since it would of seemed to generic and would of been lost among similar OVAs at the time.

That doesn't make it groundbreaking or non-generic now, not when we still have GitS and Psycho-Pass ongoing. For the amount of hype they're dumping into this, there had better be zero CG elements and animation mostly on the 2s.

Yeah, honestly the amount of snobbery around this series by the creator/spokespersons really put me off it. Especially when all they shows is girls in skin-tight suits killing shit...not understanding that what you are making is similar to other things is often a sign that things are going to end poorly.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Yeah, honestly the amount of snobbery around this series by the creator/spokespersons really put me off it. Especially when all they shows is girls in skin-tight suits killing shit...not understanding that what you are making is similar to other things is often a sign that things are going to end poorly.

It is hypocritical that despite how much they bash the industry for pandering, they are constantly pandering to older fans. Someone asked them what Anime they like and they said "We definitely prefer some of the classics: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Akira, and Ghost in the Shell.". I asked them to tell us what they really liked rather than just name dropping popular titles, but they ignored me.

Ironically I can't see most of the people they are trying to sell this to, being all that interested.
Yerld

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I don't get why it is taking so long to make 30 minutes of animation.

They took their time with the storyboard. The process usually takes just a few weeks, but the staff have been involved with other projects, so they presumably juggled the work in during a suitable window instead of forcing people to make this their immediate priority (which could well be impossible. The director has been tasked with a 2-cour production with Bones, so he can't just drop everything to make room for this).

The legal hang up delayed the entire project, which probably ruined the intended schedule for people to work.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
We'll here's hoping it's good. I need another friend for Mardock Scramble on my shelves.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:55 am Reply with quote
The synopsis sounds interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2