• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
If the otaku stuff outsells and outperforms the more casual stuff then maybe the otaku stuff is the mainstream stuff and stuff that happens to tickle the fancies of the Western audience is just a happy coincidence.

Isn't it more a matter of the otaku stuff having much higher marketability? After all, the DVD and Blu-Ray rankings are hardly dominated by 'otaku shows' (Tiger and Bunny, Natsume, Ano Hi Mita Hana, One Piece, Beelzebub, etc. all make high showings), so it's hard to make the claim that the otaku shows are being watched more; it's simply that those shows move so many figures, mousepads, beach towels, etc. that they're far more profitable to produce.

The only show you named that is not otaku late-nite anime are OP and Beelzebub. Plus I don't know what high showings you are referring to. Having a positive opinion about any specific late-nite anime does not make it more mainstream or less otaku oriented. Being able to sell and market paraphernalia for a show is important for anime, about as important as comic book swag like busts, cards, and lithos.
TeenChibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote
The iDOLM@STER was not THAT bad... Considering its a "moe" show and a video game adaptation, I believe the directors really made the anime worthwhile. At least you can sense a lot of care/effort was put into the project unlike so many other tired anime. Plus, it did a great job of establishing all of the characters due to the unique "documentary" approach. Looking forward to more. I can honestly see the girls actually developing by the end of the series if everything goes well.

*Gia's review was spot on though. Not because its more positive, but her review acknowledges some of the better aspects of the anime. I agree, the voices really do get annoying during that one scene.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
TeenChibi wrote:
The iDOLM@STER was not THAT bad... Considering its a "moe" show and a video game adaptation, I believe the directors really made the anime worthwhile. At least you can sense a lot of care/effort was put into the project unlike so many other tired anime.

I agree, I think even if you weren't a huge fan of the show or that's just not your thing, you've got to respect the creators' effort to make it more original. I liked it better than Maji Prince Somethingorother, which seemed like its parallel this season. The different format at least makes me want to watch another episode to see what they do with it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:44 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the reviewers here seem to hate Otaku anime or something? Every single show thats aimed at the more hardcore anime fans are bashed to hell, while the shows that are aimed at a casual audience are loved. Like they all hate on Idolmaster, when the fact is, thats gonna be the biggest show from this season when its all said and done, both sales wise and popularity wise. And anything with panty shots is called trash.

Just seems weird to me how these reviewers don't really seem like typical anime fans, but more like people who just watch anime casually.

There's a simple explanation for that: the otaku-pandering shows this season just aren't that good. Even amongst shows targeted at specific audiences. quality still matters, as fan service elements can still be poorly-used and/or low-quality and otaku-focused elements can still be boringly derivative. There's a lot of that so far this season, unfortunately.

And BTW, the possible popularity of a series has no connection whatsoever to how good the series is, and that's what we grade on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
I just watched Mawaru Penguindrum (wtf @ that title) and it's most definitely the spiritual successor of Utena if nothing else-- random philosophizing, catch phrases repeated multiple times in one episode, whacked out transformation scene, incest... everything you'd expect from Ikuhara! Even if I was immediately put off by the cute-cute vibe pervading every scene and the much-overplayed "sick girl" theme, those bits are more than balanced by the super clever scenes where Shoma (he's the blue-haired one, right?) is followed by the penguin, and of course the transformation sequence.

The ED is weirding me out though. Did the brothers turn into girls? Someone said the other girls looked like the ones from the ad on the train. I hope that's true.
Because turning those boys into girls would be a waste of two perfectly good pretty boys.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:31 am Reply with quote
My 5c in response to Carlos' previews on Usagi Drop and No. 6. I absolutely and strongly disagree that you can't build a half of/entire episode on just setup. Hell, that's what first episode is for! Anyway, IMO any series that actually spends time on world-building and story setup in the first episode is likely to turn out far superior to the ones that do the opposite - throw in a bunch of random stuff to amuse the viewer and then at best a cheesy cliffhanger for the next episode. Many shows these days do try to pander to this "here and now" mentality of people who refuse to look at the big picture, which is unfortunate. For shows to be criticized for NOT doing it is doubly so.
Jacut

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:14 am Reply with quote
rowsdower wrote:
Before anybody hops down my throat about OMG IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL AND MOVING~~~ YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND, I work with young women and teens who (the following WILL spoil the ending of Bunny Drop's manga, be aware) spoiler[had foster or adoptive fathers/life-long much older family friends/etc try to change their relationship status from 'care-giver' to 'lover']. Most of them have pretty severe trust, identity, and anxiety issues as a result, so seeing it romanticized in fiction is one of my absolute biggest rage-inducers.

spoiler[Except it's totally the other way around here, Daikichi behaves and thinks like a good father would think of his surrogate daughter and Rin gradually develops feelings towards him (well, one could say that the feelings are already extremely strong right at the beginning and become blatant after the time skip) resulting in HER trying to change their relationship from daughter to lover. It has absolutely nothing to do with the trauma you're writing about and is so well detailled and directed that it feels very natural (at least - not morally wrong) when they marry at the end. It's not so far from Adachi's Miyuki for that matter.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
rowsdower wrote:
Before anybody hops down my throat about OMG IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL AND MOVING~~~ YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND, I work with young women and teens who (the following WILL spoil the ending of Bunny Drop's manga, be aware) spoiler[had foster or adoptive fathers/life-long much older family friends/etc try to change their relationship status from 'care-giver' to 'lover']. Most of them have pretty severe trust, identity, and anxiety issues as a result, so seeing it romanticized in fiction is one of my absolute biggest rage-inducers.

spoiler[Except it's totally the other way around here, Daikichi behaves and thinks like a good father would think of his surrogate daughter and Rin gradually develops feelings towards him (well, one could say that the feelings are already extremely strong right at the beginning and become blatant after the time skip) resulting in HER trying to change their relationship from daughter to lover. It has absolutely nothing to do with the trauma you're writing about and is so well detailled and directed that it feels very natural (at least - not morally wrong) when they marry at the end. It's not so far from Adachi's Miyuki for that matter.]

spoiler[The Gene pool is still pretty messed up though. Marry your cousin-sure. But your aunt? That information is enough to make me shiver let alone all the other stuff you're talking about which just doesn't seem natural.He's basically her dad!]
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

It's pretty clear Rebecca if you watch the scene after the ED.

I know, I was trying not to give that away. Wink Mostly the show just annoyed me and left me cold (and bored), but then, I'm not the target demographic.

v1cious wrote:
Is Rebecca new to the staff? Her reviews are interesting to say the least.

Yes, I am new. I mostly review manga; this is kind of the exception. And, um, if that was a compliment, then thank you! Heck, if it wasn't a compliment, thank you anyway.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:58 am Reply with quote
They F#@#ed up Itsuka big time. I was fine with the fanservice that was shown in the trailer, but after watching the real thing I realized that they went overboard with some of the scenes. For one, that scene where that huge green stuff came out between Mirai's thighs was friggin disturbing for obvious reasons.
rowsdower

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
rowsdower wrote:

Note that I said I hate it when people romanticize the incredibly troubling reality I work with every single day. And, sorry, but the scenario you just described is that: a beautiful, baseless lie designed for people to get the warm fuzzies and go 'oh, well, it's okay in this situation because ____'. And I certainly can't agree with your wording of "natural". No, it's NOT "natural" for spoiler[a child to decide that they're going to try to turn their parental figure into their lover], at least not beyond silly Freudian subconscious thinking if you're in to that mode of out-dated thought.

And you know what? It's REALLY not natural for spoiler[the parent to eventually reciprocate, as happens in Bunny Drop!] I have worked with girls who tried exactly what you've blotted out in spoiler notes, and the key difference between those situations and Bunny Drop is spoiler[their adoptive parents were horrified and sought therapy for them]. Here's the real reason they've tried it, Bunny Drop romantics, each and every one:spoiler[ sexual abuse in prior foster relationships destroyed their knowledge of the line between familial and romantic love. ]

Also, I doubt this was your intention, but please watch your wording anyway: don't ever imply that it's "natural" for spoiler[an adoptive child to fall in love and try to romantically win their adoptive parent]. You will offend a lot of adopted children that way, including myself.

So obviously I'm biased. Obviously this hits really close to home. Obviously I am incredibly mad. That said, I can't stop people who like the way Bunny Drop resolves; all I can do is try to articulate precisely why I feel it's in such horribly bad taste.
giapet
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:01 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
The ED is weirding me out though. Did the brothers turn into girls? Someone said the other girls looked like the ones from the ad on the train. I hope that's true.
Because turning those boys into girls would be a waste of two perfectly good pretty boys.

Weren't they the little cartoony blue- and pink-haired girls that appeared in that PSA (or commercial) that they showed on the bus? I'm pretty sure.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
Still whispering about Bunny Drop.
Yorozuya wrote:
spoiler[The Gene pool is still pretty messed up though. Marry your cousin-sure. But your aunt? That information is enough to make me shiver let alone all the other stuff you're talking about which just doesn't seem natural.He's basically her dad!]

She's his half-aunt. spoiler[The probability they share any non sex-linked gene is the same as for full cousins.] This doesn't invalidate any of the other arguments, I admit.
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:31 am Reply with quote
Just watched Sacred Seven and I have one question to ask: was that an older Rainbow Brite playing the main girl character? (Though she wasn't anywhere near as girl-powery as her former self.)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:03 pm Reply with quote
after finding out about the spoiler in usagi drop spoiler[conforming it form some raws].. i didn't think it was going to be like that, However I am not shocked or surprised.. Maybe I am have become to cynical in the past ten years of watching seasonal anime or maybe being on spoiler[4chan for 7 years broke me lol] I don't think the would air that kind of ending i just thought thespoiler[ male lead died of cancer] or something but still.. that's a tad much even for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 30