• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks / Maiden Japan / AEsir Holdings / ADV Films Solicitations

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
So Sentai isn't gonna put LOGH up on digital-to-own, like iTunes and those other services? I'd be willing to get that at this point (even though I don't like iTunes DRM). I sure hope all this isn't licensor-mandated.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
People are plenty willing to shell out that much for a lengthy series, and then some...provided the cost is able to be spread out over time. I laugh when I start thinking about how much I've sunk into One Piece, probably at least $800, but that happened over years and many, many sales.
Sure, except LotGH is not an ongoing series like say Fairy Tail, One Piece, etc., which helps to keep fan enthusiasm for the show high and subsequent purchases likely. Nor was it a series that was a gateway anime for fans or had tons of airplay in the west, so it doesn't have the whole nostalgia factor going for it. Plus there was plenty of anime in the DVD singles era where companies saw purchases drop after selling the first disc or two, so splitting things up has its risks too. People may get tired of the show, they don't like the direction the story takes, real life intrudes or they drop out of the fandom. Let's not forget there is so much newer content out there nowadays that an older niche series has to compete with.

Quote:
Asking someone to plop down that much all at once, and what's more completely sight-unseen on a pre-order? That's the height of absurdity.
Except they are not aiming at general or casual anime fans. Their target are people who are already fans and hardcore collectors who will buy anything pricey or exclusive if its even only for bragging rights. It is also playing on HiDive.com and they offer a free 7 day trial, which would allow someone to binge a bunch of it. The subscription is $5/month you could probably see the whole thing if you have the time. Maybe if it became popular enough on their streaming service it would encourage them to release a more affordable barebones set...(shrug) maybe.

RedSwirl wrote:
So Sentai isn't gonna put LOGH up on digital-to-own, like iTunes and those other services? I'd be willing to get that at this point (even though I don't like iTunes DRM). I sure hope all this isn't licensor-mandated.
Never say never. However, right now it seems exclusive to HiDive, so I don't imagine it would happen anytime soon.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
via Sentai Filmworks Shop & TRSI:

Maiden Japan

Glass Mask (1984): Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 550 minutes - $89.98 - 9/4/18 [sub]
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/glass-mask-1984-complete-collection
Quote:
Special Features: Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Gunparade March: Complete Collection - 300 minutes - $49.98 - 9/18/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/gunparade-march-complete-collection
Quote:
Special Features: Japanese Promos; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Sentai Filmworks

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $59.98 - 9/11/18 [sub]
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/action-heroine-cheer-fruits-complete-collection
Quote:

Frame Arms Girl: Season 1 Collection (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $59.98 - 9/4/18 [sub]
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/frame-arms-girl-complete-collection
Quote:

Negima!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 650 minutes - $89.98 - 9/18/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/negima-complete-collection
Quote:
Special Features: Recording of "To the Shining You ~ Peace"; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Princess Principal (TV): Complete Collection (Blu-ray LE) - 300 minutes - $179.98 - 9/25/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/princess-principal-premium-box-set
Quote:
Special Features: Chipboard Box; Storyboard, Secret Files and the Staff Interview Booklets; Set of 4 Metal Drink Coasters; 20" x 44" Fabric Poster; Japanese Promos & Commercials; Picture Dramas; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Princess Principal (TV): Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $69.98 - 9/25/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/princess-principal-complete-collection
Quote:
Special Features: Japanese Promos & Commercials; Picture Dramas; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Scum's Wish: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 300 minutes - $69.98 - 9/25/18
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/scums-wish-complete-collection
Quote:
Special Features: Japanese Trailers; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Vatican Miracle Examiner: Complete Collection (Blu-ray) - 325 minutes - $59.98 - 9/11/18 [sub]
- https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/pre-order/products/vatican-miracle-examiner-complete-collection
Quote:
Special Features: OVA; Clean Opening Animation; Clean Closing Animation

Clipped via PR...
Quote:
Title: FRAME ARMS GIRL BLU-RAY
Published by: Sentai Filmworks
Distributed by: Section23 Films
Run Time: 300 min.
Street Date: 9/4/2018
Format: BD
Language: Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $59.98

Title: GLASS MASK (1984) BLU-RAY
Published by: Maiden Japan
Run Time: 550 min.
Street Date: 9/4/2018
SRP: $89.98

Title: ACTION HEROINE CHEER FRUITS BLU-RAY
Street Date: 9/11/2018

Title: VATICAN MIRACLE EXAMINER BLU-RAY
Run Time: 325 min.
Street Date: 9/11/2018

Title: GUNPARADE MARCH
Published by: Maiden Japan
Street Date: 9/18/2018
Format: DVD
Language: English & Japanese with English Subtitles
SRP: $49.98

Title: NEGIMA! BLU-RAY
Run Time: 650 min.
Street Date: 9/18/2018
SRP: $89.98

Title: PRINCESS PRINCIPAL
Street Date: 9/25/2018
Format: BD, PBS
SRP: $69.98, $179.98

Title: SCUM'S WISH BLU-RAY
Street Date: 9/25/2018
SRP: $69.98
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
The 1984 Glass Mask anime has my interest in this release slate. Suppose I can snag it after I finish up getting titles off Funi's August slate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Sure, except LotGH is not an ongoing series like say Fairy Tail, One Piece, etc., which helps to keep fan enthusiasm for the show high and subsequent purchases likely. Nor was it a series that was a gateway anime for fans or had tons of airplay in the west, so it doesn't have the whole nostalgia factor going for it. Plus there was plenty of anime in the DVD singles era where companies saw purchases drop after selling the first disc or two, so splitting things up has its risks too. People may get tired of the show, they don't like the direction the story takes, real life intrudes or they drop out of the fandom. Let's not forget there is so much newer content out there nowadays that an older niche series has to compete with.

Does it matter? This is a show that people have been begging to own for years. It was going to sell just fine in a standard release format. Except now the majority of said people can't own it because of the absurd way in which it's been released.

Quote:
Except they are not aiming at general or casual anime fans. Their target are people who are already fans and hardcore collectors who will buy anything pricey or exclusive if its even only for bragging rights. It is also playing on HiDive.com and they offer a free 7 day trial, which would allow someone to binge a bunch of it. The subscription is $5/month you could probably see the whole thing if you have the time. Maybe if it became popular enough on their streaming service it would encourage them to release a more affordable barebones set...(shrug) maybe.

Um, I am a "hardcore fan." If I had the space to display it, I think my collection would make a pretty good splash on Shelf Life. But my definition of "hardcore" is much more along the lines of "stretch my dollar as far as it can go so that I can own a bunch of anime" instead of "plop down waaaaayyy too much so I can own a single anime." Again, this is $800 for a television series. You could buy a decent laptop with that scratch.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Does it matter? This is a show that people have been begging to own for years. It was going to sell just fine in a standard release format. Except now the majority of said people can't own it because of the absurd way in which it's been released.
(Shrug) Yea, I think it does matter if the numbers aren't there. If they don't think they can recoup their costs with a barebones release. If they don't think there is enough customers for such a release. As I said before, it doesn't have the same pull as other classic shows and its got to compete with a lot of newer shows all of that is something that has to be factored in. I understand your frustration there are many shows that I think are overpriced and there's plenty of fans to put down money, but the prices are inflated and put out of most people's budgets. However, Sentai's calculation maybe that at this time there isn't enough fans to make a profit at a barebones price no matter how vocal they are. Heck, it could also be a restriction placed on them by the license holders.

Quote:
Um, I am a "hardcore fan." If I had the space to display it, I think my collection would make a pretty good splash on Shelf Life. But my definition of "hardcore" is much more along the lines of "stretch my dollar as far as it can go so that I can own a bunch of anime" instead of "plop down waaaaayyy too much so I can own a single anime." Again, this is $800 for a television series. You could buy a decent laptop with that scratch.
Hey look I agree with you that its extremely expensive and I certainly wouldn't pay that much for any show. If you want we can call you hardcore and the people who are willing to pay these kind of prices "Super Hardcore". Smile They exist and like other companies such as AoA and PonyCan its who they are targeting with this release. There's probably 3 main possibilities that they are doing this: 1. Its a licensor demand 2.They are experimenting with an extravagant pricing model and 3.They don't think there's enough buyers to recoup the costs at a lower price. Two out of three of those reasons neither Sentai or fans can control. Now if they are just experimenting with pricing then whether they will be successful is another story. Heck, maybe everything will be marked down by xmas or repackaged to sell? The last I saw before Sentai changed the web store page they had something around 200 orders, it will be interesting to see if they can actually hit 500 out of that 1000. Some people have been using paypal credit to stretch their payments over 6 months without interest. I still wouldn't pay that amount.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:15 am Reply with quote
Action Heroine Cheer Fruits was my favorite anime of 2017, so that's an immediate preorder.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
Negima! in HD? I know it'll look horrible... and that's the series' starting point, who knows what upscaling an early digital production that already looks awful will look like?

On the bright side, Scum's Wish and Princess Principal are getting dubs while on the "didn't see that coming" front, Gunparade March gets a license rescue. I have the MB release and that's all I have for an opinion on the show. Come on, Matt, I'm rooting for you and there are still some good shows out there that need a new release.
WTK

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
https://shop.sentaifilmworks.com/collections/premium-box-sets/products/sword-oratoria-is-it-wrong-to-try-to-pick-up-girls-in-a-dungeon-on-the-side-premium-box-set

Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side BD/DVD LE

IMPORTANT UPDATE
*Due to unexpected delays, the street date for the Sword Oratoria Premium Box Set has been pushed back to June 5, 2018. We apologize for the inconvenience, rest assured, we are working on getting the highest quality box sets out as soon as possible. For additional questions, please feel free to contact us.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
Sentai is asking what unlicensed anime are you interested in.

I'm probably going to list Kemonozume, Fafner Exodus, The Eccentric Family 2, maybe The Beast Player Erin...
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:51 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the link! I also put Kemonozume and Eccentric Family 2 (now that NISA seems be backing off of anime). I feel like after Devilman, more Masaaki Yuasa stuff has a real chance of getting licensed now! I also put RahXephon, shame to see it unlicensed (and it was previously ADV)

I wonder how many people under the "other comments" section put something along the lines of "give us an affordable LoGH release" Rolling Eyes (I sure did!)
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
Since it seems Sentai's been releasing the occasional older title, mostly went with some older stuff:

Space Runaway Ideon
Nobody's Boy Remi
Heavy Metal L-Gaim
Beast Player Erin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:17 pm Reply with quote
My suggestions on the survey:
xxxHolic Kei (& OVAs)
Heart no Kuni no Alice (Movie)
Glass Mask (OVAs, 1998)

And I placed in Glass Mask 2005 (2nd half) as my 4th suggestion; I know it technically doesn't fit, but I really want them to release it now more than ever since there's a chance being taken on Glass Mask 1984 (I know Sentai and Maiden Japan are kinda different companies under the same umbrella, but still). Although I doubt any of my ideas will be considered. Razz
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote
The titles I suggested were:

Aoi Bungaku
Rainbow
Kemonozume
Fighting Beauty Wulong

Though I like what I'm seeing with what some others are listing, particularity Beast Player Erin and the XXXholic ova. I like what Sentai has been doing lately and have been enjoying HIDIVE, so hopefully something will come of this.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
my usuals

Cross Game'
Hanamaru Kindergarten
Setokai Yakuindomo (although I admit that it would a terror to translate effectively)
Paranoia Agent (although I doubt it's a lack of interest in the US that keeps it from a rescue)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 31