• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Glitter Force Slated for December 18 Premiere on Netflix

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, with the negative reception that many Americanized kiddie anime titles have had, I think Saban should have just stuck with trying to have an uncensored version with all the episodes left in.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Then that's your fault, isn't it? You could have gotten the scripts from a country with a better dub. The Italian dub of DBZ was way better than the French because it got its dub from the Japanese and not the horrible English or French dubs. Common sense, really.

Except in the case of the Saban/Toei deal, Saban now has official international release rights outside of the Asian block for Precure.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I've already said my peace about Saban bringing back Glitter Force, so all that's left is to see how much of a negative impact the Americanization and cutting out 17% of the episodes is going to have on the show.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
SEGAtheGENESIS151 wrote:
Get prepared everybody. With Doraemon, Yokai Watch, and this coming out, I think we're going back into an Americanized kids anime period again.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly, with the negative reception that many Americanized kiddie anime titles have had, I think Saban should have just stuck with trying to have an uncensored version with all the episodes left in.

The word 'Americanized' seems to making me reminding me of an magazine thingy. Laughing
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:06 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Then that's your fault, isn't it? You could have gotten the scripts from a country with a better dub. The Italian dub of DBZ was way better than the French because it got its dub from the Japanese and not the horrible English or French dubs. Common sense, really.

Well, there's nothing *I* can do about it. As long as America's horrid localization is what I'm getting, you don't have the right to order me to stop complaining about its practices.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:13 pm Reply with quote
By that time I'll watch the series only for curiosity. I mean, I watched the series in the original run of 2012, So I know what will happen, but as a fan of precure, I want to watch it to compare.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Not the first time that Pretty Cure will be heavily edited for Western release. Probably won't be the last, either.

What I wouldn't give for a real Region 1 release of HeartCatch Precure...
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Not the first time that Pretty Cure will be heavily edited for Western release. Probably won't be the last, either.

What I wouldn't give for a real Region 1 release of HeartCatch Precure...

From what I remember of that dub, outside of name changes, it got away MOSTLY unscathed. It wasn't that bad either actually. Voices fit the characters for the most part and the opening was incredibly catchy (despite the immense amounts of cheese to the point where it was kinda bad.)

Plus it was done by Toei themselves so it didn't have the really stupid things like, assuming Saban got it, the Digimon dubs got.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
^Was about to say that, but yeah, the English dub of the first PreCure did get a faithful dub/adaptation despite name changes, and maybe some other stuff (that varies). So no, it did not get "heavily edited".

But I worry and wonder for this season of the series, but I don't mind, I guess we'll have to wait and find out once its up.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
You're right, looking at some of clips they have on YouTube, the dub doesn't seem to fit the poor memory I have of it. I think it must be a case of whatever the opposite of nostalgia is.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm also concerned this is being streamed on Netflix as opposed to being scheduled for a TV release. When has Saban ever released an anime they dubbed directly to streaming rather than a TV network like Nickelodeon or Fox when they still had anime? That they're going straight to Netflix leads me to believe not even Saban believes their finished product will succeed.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:31 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm also concerned this is being streamed on Netflix as opposed to being scheduled for a TV release. When has Saban ever released an anime they dubbed directly to streaming rather than a TV network like Nickelodeon or Fox when they still had anime?

In all fairness to Saban, when has releasing a show directly to streaming ever been such a viable release method for them?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
It's a show aimed at FIVE YEAR OLD GIRLS. Stop acting like the world is ending.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:42 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
I'm also concerned this is being streamed on Netflix as opposed to being scheduled for a TV release. When has Saban ever released an anime they dubbed directly to streaming rather than a TV network like Nickelodeon or Fox when they still had anime?

In all fairness to Saban, when has releasing a show directly to streaming ever been such a viable release method for them?

Besides the Amenicanized Tokusatsu stuff like Power Rangers, Bettleborgs, and VR Troopers. That's all I know, and does that count?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
Besides the Amenicanized Tokusatsu stuff like Power Rangers, Bettleborgs, and VR Troopers. That's all I know, and does that count?

Beetleborgs and VR Troopers aired 1994-1999, though, and by the time Saban had the option to exclusively present Power Rangers as a streaming show, it was already a firmly established television brand. Saban has never really been faced with the choice of whether to debut a franchise as potentially big as Pretty Cure on either network TV or streaming. Airing a show on a streaming service might have been very attractive for Saban; after all, there's far less need to accommodate network television executives whose knowledge of Japanese animation might begin and end with Pokemon.

There's also the issue of whether Netflix simply outbid the networks for the show. It wouldn't be all that surprising if it turned out Netflix wanted the exclusive rights to a kids' show that has about a decade worth of episodes already animated.

Then again, I don't work for Saban or Netflix, so who knows why they aren't putting "Glitter Force" on TV?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3