• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ghost in the Shell: SAC Ep. 25 concerns. (Spoilers)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
Her brain is the only thing that's still organic, right? If so, does her body produce the female hormones and such that affect the brain and way we think and feel?
The remark about her getting a male body got me to thinking- if she did get a male body, would she still be considered homosexual for desiring women, and if so, why? What if the estrogen her brain was receiving was replaced with testosterone? Just some things to discuss.

Your post is filled with so many mistaken presumptions that I hardly know where to begin...

First off, gender is first and foremost a function of chromosome composition. Since every cell in Major Kusanagi's rganism contains an XX-chromosome set, she'd be female on the genetic level no matter what artificial body she were placed in. Barring some sort of grotesque genetic manipualtion, this is a given.

Furthermore, while she probably could get a male body, there'd still be the question of self-image (body image). In her mind, she'd still be a female. So yes, she'd still be homosexual.

Finally, there is little evidence to support the proposal that homosexuality is a function of hormones. If such a link does exist, it is probably much less important than a number of other brain-chemistry related features. In which case, the artificial gender of her body would be largely immaterial.

There... I've gone and given a half-serious answer to a silly question. I'm going to regret this, I feel certain. If nothing else, dormcat is now going to expose my imperfect understanding of genetics and microbiology.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:25 am Reply with quote
You've opened up a whole new can of worms for me. What is it exactly when a human in GitS has a "cyber brain" I assumed that their organic brain was replaced by a cybernetic one, as I believe it has been mentioned that the only thing not artificial within Kusanagi was her soul and memories. Hence the episode where her one body was damaged and she was outfitted with a completely new one. Am I off base?

As far as Ep 25, I remember that she had transfered to a young looking body in the next episode. I agree with the poster that mentioned Batou's assumption that a male body would be better for her, to the contrary of her own beliefs. Also I agree she was born female and cyberized at a very young age. Perhaps the younger body she went into after ep 25 was her teen mopdel as she grew up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I may be the one confused then. I thought that the "cyber" referred to the internet links only, and that the organic brain was still intact.
As far as switching bodies, I thought it would only be a matter of inserting the brain case and booting the system (body) up.
I thought the ep where she got shot was a case where she was controlling that body remotely, but could have died ala the Matrix if her consciousness had still been active when the bullet struck.
The idea of an artificial brain, ala Data from Startrek, is so beyond 21st century tech. that I hadn't even really considered it.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, let me throw some more fuel to the fire. Here are some more confusing observations. I apologize that I don't have specific episode numbers for the following.

Remeber the CEO of the company that Kusanagi visited who had taken the form of a box? I didn't see a means for him to feed his brain if one was inside there. A regular brain is organic and need nutrients and blood flow.

Batou, in several episodes commented on the food that those who were "cyberized" ate, which was really only to simulate real food intake.

Also, the episode with the partailly cyberized helecopter pilot had him molling over the fact that the food being comsumed by his fully cyberized peers was useless or something.

One of the tachikomas also found a cyberbrain box with that artists ghost within.

I haven't reconciled how those without cyberized brains (like Togusa) can be in the net (especially Kuze's refugees) without an interface link-up unless they are wireless.
WesW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, Togusa has an interface link-up, just like the fully-cyberized members. All of them are also continually linked to the Net wirelessly (apparently wi-fi is universal at this point in time).
I guess Wiki would be the place to go for a clear description for everything.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
I don't think I would say clear, but it tends to support my theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberbrain

Thanks for the idea to check out wiki; I hadn't thought of that. It's surprising what topics are there.
SuperOnizuka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
gender is first and foremost a function of chromosome composition

Gender is a socially constructed term. I think you are trying to say Sex, since that is more biologically linked to what you are trying to say about chromosomes and that sort. Since you can change your gender, rather than sex.

Motoko is fully cyberized, I don't think she has a "human" brain inside. But the last scene in that episode was kinda odd. Well more like sad, until I saw 2nd Gig. I guess I liked the cast so much that I pretty much felt distraught to see them getting taken down like that. But then I realize that no matter how powerful one may be, there will be those that create a counter-balance to level the field.

Which kinda answers my question, which isn't entirely on topic with the OP. We were led to believe section 9 to be so powerful and complex, how could they be taken out so fast? Was it that it was planned out to do that by Aramaki to get leeway? Or was the opposing strike force really that good?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
coldfusion5050

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's right. But in the manga, on top of having those dealings with the women, Motoko also had a boyfriend from Section 1, and the girls were more fun and profit than anything else.

If that's the case, she is bisexual in the manga, and this is heavily implied in SAC and 2nd Gig.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
regardless of whether her brain was real or not...the brain doesn't make estrogen >_<the>_< plus there were the tell tale signs, she wasn't wearing her watch, batou looked in the direction of the sniper as if expecting it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2