• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Retailer: Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers' Standard Blu-rays/DVDs Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yerld

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
All I can imagine is that Rokka had to have done reasonably well on Crunchyroll to encourage Pony Canyon to think it might sell on disc in North America. Certainly the abysmal sales figures in Japan are a stimulus to find other sources of revenue to cover costs.

As most experienced viewers know, anime is usually made to advertise the source material. Sadly even by this criterion Rokka failed to impress. Here are light novel sales figures from MAL:
6/22-28 - not listed; (27th ranked work sold 5,375)
7/20-26 - Volume 6: 7,240 (20th)
7/27-8/2 - Volume 6: 5,048 (24th)
8/17-23 - not listed; (33rd ranked work sold 3,809)

The first anime episode aired 7/5. Novel sales got some boost from the anime, but it was short-lived. I just did a quick check to see if there were any later sales figures, but I didn't find any.

Financially, light novel sales are actually irrelevant to companies like Pony Canyon. It's an oversimplification when people generalize anime production as advertising for source material.

My understanding is that in North America, the real money is in the bidding wars for video streaming (thanks to interest from venture capitalists, who have made nine figure investments in some of these companies, giving them large war chests to duke it out for territorial rights). This gives Pony Canyon an opportunity to play around and see what types of merchandise they can sell (and at what price points), but at the same time, it probably means that they aren't overly concerned about home video sales if demand is low.

Canceling the standard edition saves them the costs of discs/packaging if pre-order numbers aren't encouraging. Meanwhile, those who absolutely insist on owning the show on Blu-Ray (likely to be hardcore collectors who already pre-ordered the CE anyway) can still buy the CE.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Ponycan stop being highway robbers and this wouldn't happen. It's becoming cheaper to import the BDs than buy domestically.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
...becoming cheaper to import the BDs than buy domestically.

Maybe that's been their plan all along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5