• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan Considers Revising Copyright Law Due to Trans-Pacific Partnership

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
48 Rices

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Hope now they will ease the laws...
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm not down with the T.P.P.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
48 Rices wrote:

You were born yesterday.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
They will consider the possibility and as all politicians, will leave it at that (unless there is rioting on the streets and even then all they will do is talk). If there was a will there would be a bill expecting revision.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, ship. It's about to go down.

Primus wrote:
I'm not down with the T.P.P.

No one is ever down with The Phantom Pain.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
You were born yesterday.

LMFAO!
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
If you want to opposes the TPP stateside check out the EFF.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:28 pm Reply with quote
A clarification of terms is definitely necessary. It reads like small things, like making your own costumes, are okay, but who knows if that is how it will work out? Comiket gets by because people aren't out for profit, but given the number of attendees and the number of dojinshi sold, I could see law enforcement deciding that was on a "commercial scale."
Cobalx1000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
48 Rices wrote:

Is Fanfiction going to be okay?
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
This question might be woefully naive, but wouldn't doujinshi get a free pass if creators just flat out stated that they had no problem with it existing or making a profit? Or is it something they're not legally allowed to comment on?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Cobalx1000 wrote:
48 Rices wrote:

I haven't heard anything about fanfiction yet, if there was a problem it would spread around the grapevine. It's probably fine for now... considering that a lot of fanfics is non-profit and just for fun.
OzuBezariusu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Cobalx1000 wrote:
48 Rices wrote:

That depends on a few factors; first of all, interpretations of fair use under the TPP vary greatly from country to country https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/08/new-leaked-tpp-puts-fair-use-risk so it depends how Japan interprets the text and writes the law. After that, you have the threat of attacks on hosting "possibly" infringing works https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/08/tpp-creates-liabilities-isps-and-put-your-rights-risk which could in of itself strong-arm sites into banning fanfiction or shutting down, particularly if they are popular. If all of that doesn't stop it then the infamous Investment chapter of the TPP allows corporations, both inside and outside of Japan, to sue the Japanese government if their laws interfere, or could possibly interfere in the future, with the company's profits, forcing Japan to make their laws less lenient. http://www.opednews.com/articles/Julian-Assange-on-the-Tran-by-Democracy-Now-Corporate-Greed_Corporate-Sponsored-Congress_Julian-Assange_Trade-150531-435.html

In short: fanfiction is okay if you don't get caught doing it; as long as corporations don't care the government probably won't interfere. However, if you (or a company/website) in anyway make yourself a target, they will go after you to the full extent of both national and international law.

For more information on why the TPP is horrible go here. https://www.eff.org/issues/tpp or if you're so inclined as to read the absurdly long text, here is a searchable version with links to various copies. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/11/05/we-made-president-obamas-big-tpp-trade-deal-searchable/

If you're in the US please take the time to contact congress via petition http://stopthetpp.org/take-action/ or more importantly by phone http://www.contactingthecongress.org/. (US Activism is extremely important because enough backlash could easily kill the bill at its roots, going for other countries is like trying to cut the heads off a hydra.) If you're not in the US and want to take action (because cutting off enough heads will help!) please look at the EFF page or into ways of contacting your national government.

:edit:
whiskeyii wrote:
This question might be woefully naive, but wouldn't doujinshi get a free pass if creators just flat out stated that they had no problem with it existing or making a profit? Or is it something they're not legally allowed to comment on?

The same issues would apply to doujinshi and, in fact, the TPP is written broadly enough that even similar archetypes, plot devices, artistic styles, etc. would have to be proven "transformative" enough to not be infringing to a multitude of copy-written works if litigated.

Last edited by OzuBezariusu on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:02 am; edited 1 time in total
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:55 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

As the thing says, it looks like they can prosecute you regardless of what the owner thinks or cares.

This here is a lot bigger than some copyright stuff. It's basically a step to creating a world where you're easily susceptible to breaking a law even unwittingly and if someone up there needs and excuse/excuses to put you down, then you're screwed.

Welcome to the New World Order. You'll stay quiet and docile if you know what's best for you citizen.
dark13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:31 am Reply with quote
sorry for sounding, very ignorant, on some of these terms but What dose unilateral enforcement mean ? also I was having a great day on tell I read this again ( I wanted to forget about it, Thanks ANN )
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:39 am Reply with quote
Well... It's only a matter of time before the politicians start introducing new broad, perplexing laws that will assist the TPP further in using its power to let the governments and the corporations have free reign to unreasonably penalize doujin artists for using copyrighted works, even if the copyright holder doesn't want to go after the supposed "violator." From the looks of it, the doujinshi communities' days are numbered.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:46 am Reply with quote
This is starting to make me think about the fate of AMV screenings at anime conventions.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5