• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
[OT] Regarding all these locked posts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
Don't PM mods. Their word is absolute and unquestionable. I once got threatened with a permanent ban for politely PMing a mod about a disappeared thread or something.

Nonsense. We don't even have the power to ban people. We can recommend to Admin. that users be banned, but it'd have to be with very good reason and substantial evidence, like 4KrapSucks (should be apparent to everyone as to why he's not here anymore) or yusuke/urameshi/The_End/The_Bebop_1022/Mr Roboto (also an obvious reason).

If you've got something to ask, then ask. I'll settle it.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:54 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
or yusuke/urameshi/The_End/The_Bebop_1022/Mr Roboto (also an obvious reason).

That was all one guy?! Shocked I knew he had at least two accounts, but sheesh.
-gecko-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
I've been away from this forum for awhile now. I can say that after recovering from a computer crash and catching back up to my anime addiction, this is the first forum that I came back to.

I would avoid changing to a ranking system; ranks (same for post count) do not equate to more intelligence or a better person, etc. I do suggest maybe a post count initiation that would allow the mods to switch those that comment intelligently to full post capable. This of course also allows for elitism from the mods; a compromise, I suppose.

I've been around for quite some time and maybe posted three or four times. None have been locked, but I have participated in some heated debate which lead to being locked (can't remember if I was the lockee, though).

Short comments that are relevant are good and I have seen quite a few that have not been locked. I tend to avoid reading long verbose comments and they usually get skimmed over when I read threads.

I agree that locked threads can be annoying, but they do still serve a purpose; if you want current topics or one that you are following then there are page and next links at the bottom of the thread lists. I started on page three! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dante80

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote
Some thoughts on the subject. I'm an admin in a "small" anime forum back in my country. This is what I did to get rid of spamming/OT...

A> Create a dump area where all locked topics can be moved upon closure. That way, you gain the space for the legitimate threads while still keeping the locked ones for "educational" reasons.
B> Remove the post count from the postbit view. It really helps.
C> No ranks or titles are needed. But you could provide members with a "custom user title". Each user can have the title he wishes for, all are happy, end of story.
D> Concerning moderation, I think "sugar lips" moderation is the only way. You have to make the user understand what he did wrong, while at the same time providing him with the feedback needed for him to improve.

I don't know if actions like those are mentioned will actually benefit a big forum like ANN. But at least for my forum...they worked...Rolling Eyes

Please excuse my bad english. Salutations from sunny Greece George F. Cool
duo05001

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:51 pm Reply with quote
There's rules what the hell! Can someone tell me where to find them I have been coming to this website for anime news but just recently started to post after the YouTube artical.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Well, they're right at the top of the forum main page...

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=31
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5