• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf Announces Gundam 0083 Afterglow of Zeon, Galaxy Angel, More Gundam License Rescues

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I'm picking up the 0083 OVA and F91 for sure. Both are going to look great on BD. Otherwise, I'm still waiting for them to announce the 08th MS team and IGLOO BDs. Oh, can't forget G Gundam as well. It's still surreal to think that we're getting all of Gundam in English.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
weemonjosh wrote:
Edit: Just noticed sources are reporting they announced Reconguista in G as well. Weird that ANN would leave that off the article as I'd say that a previously unreleased Gundam series making it over here is FAR more significant than a crummy recap film.

Volt1 wrote:
It's not cool that the article outright ignored their G-Reco rescue though

The staff has gone out of its way to ignore positive news relating to G-Reco, I even sent an email to the newsroom crew the announcements on the upcoming compilation movie (which would be the only compilation movie if it didn't do well) and a fan poll from Buzz Plus with not even a "we don't trust people with usernames relating to Victory Gundam CE knockoffs". I would have been heartbroken but they could have at least told me. The hate this series gets is becoming a meme to some degree I swear.
Lynx wrote:
It's probably one of the worst compilation films I've ever seen

You haven't seen Gundam First Impression. I also disagree with this a lot, the only problem that had was the lack of Val Varo kind of like how the Zeta movies could have used Psycho Mark 2. Then again 0083 is the second best UC entry so that probably had that going for it.

My problem with RS here? No Victory! And that was hands down Tomino's best series and the best of the Universal Century! Sad At least all the other entries up to 00 have been released now.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
A Town Where You Live a Blu-ray release.

Wow really? Interested choice....I really liked that anime, mostly for it's ending, nice to see it get bluray. I really wish we'd just DVD die already. There's no advantage to it at all, and bluray players are cheap. Drop it, let blurays drop in price, move on with the world.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeesh, I haven't even gotten around to buying the Zeta Gundam Blu-Rays yet! These guys are going to bleed me dry!

I wish they would get the Blu-Rays for the Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy. I might get F91 just for the production values. Gorgeous looking movie, even if it doesn't really go anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
This whole building the bridge back to the early 2000's (in a good way) and releasing and making people aware of older stuff (particularly Gundam) approach still confuses me not because I think it's even a remotely unwelcome or bad thing, but because I've just gotten so use to the industry you know....not doing this for quite a while there that I have to wonder why now? Really all I've asked for for the past few years now is more choice and less of just the same old ways and it's weird to feel like suddenly that small ask is finally being kind of being answered. I feel like to understand what's changed I'd have to be a fly on the wall in one of those industry meeting and strategy sessions they hold every year or so. God forbid if they can do away with the excessive publicity over certain things and people that have worn out their welcome and constant lying over the next couple years I'd be back to general support of the medium really bloody quickly, but lets wait and see.

By the way it's hard not to be convinced now that somebody on the ANN editing team has a real hate on for G-Reco that is now actually leading into bad reporting and information not making the proper rounds. I still remember how the site kept printing click bait articles from Japan and even an "interest" article about Tomino criticizing the show that took a lot of his comments out of context. It's probably about the most blatant biased coverage and what looked like an attempt to manufacture bad PR for it that I can recall from the website and I still really don't know why. There have been a few Gundam series before it that IMO get excessively negative and critical press and fan reactions that feel almost like a coordinated effort to somehow sabotage the franchise internationally (Gundam 00 and Gundam Build Fighters Try come to mind which almost immediately had massive amounts of hate pouring down on them from many corners of the internet that went far beyond the usual Gundam in faction fighting) but G-Reco has to take the cake for appearing to generate the most curious unbridled near universal hatred in people. This is almost to the point of being suspicious enough over the years that it'd be a question I'd want to ask at the Sunrise panel and see if the company was at all aware of the status of the franchise in North America.

I also find it kind of looks like a lot of the curiously bad press coverage for Bandai related titles seems to have stopped recently with ANN and that their content is getting more interest articles (possibly more than even Aniplex and Funi stuff of late) and banner coverage as well. I mean it's clear that with the ACJ Daisuki initiative, license rescue deals with Rightstuf etc. and some recent Toonami deals like Dragon Ball Super, Gundam, OPM and HxH as well as what their game division is doing with "Play Anime" (which ANN even wrote an advertorial on) that they've stepped back into the Western market seriously after withdrawing in 2008 and are starting to throw their weight around the same way Funimation and Aniplex USA do so they're probably giving the site ad money now through Daisuki. This is a very big international multimedia company with stakes in just about every market sector imaginable in Japan and greater Asia that just recently become the largest third party video game publisher in Europe as well and is having a banner year in North America with Dark Souls III and DB Xenoverse forthcoming. They're mission statement has them big on having diverse character brand porfolios that aim to be accessible to all kinds of demographics internationally. They also hold the majority share in Anime Consortium Japan (the one basically responsible for this years guest lineup and organization at Anime Expo) and thus outranks even the likes of Asatsu-DK (Huge Japanese Ad Company) and Aniplex on decision making and they've has had very little to do directly with the Western anime scene in nearly a decade so it's possible that's what's driving some of these changes in the overall industry policy we're seeing slowly come to light in recent months.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Also nice to see martian successor nendesco being rescued...i still have yet to watch it..but now this will allow me to see it in more high definition Very Happy

That one was already rescued by them several years ago, but the bluray thing is new. You can buy a DVD set of it right now on their website (great set btw, it even has the Gekiganger 3 OVA, which had never been released before!)

Also, I'm quite happy to see Nadesico on bluray, it might get more people to buy it, and it's simple a brilliant show. I wish it had become the role model, not NGE.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
Still waiting for that G and SEED blu ray release :/
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
While 0083 is one of the most gorgeous OVAs, I really want to see 0080 on BD as well. Good pick-ups; now that Gundam is close to finished, I hope these companies start focusing on acquiring other Sunrise mecha. Seeing Dragonar and Layzner would be pretty awesome.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
But a license rescue of Galaxy Angel? Awesome.
But it's just the first season and it's going to be on BD? Why? It's from the digipaint era, after cel but before anyone really got really good at doing it cheaply. Ok, to be honest, I just need Z and A to finish my collection and I'd rather not have to pay 100 dollars a season for them. So color me "interested but confused".

But if they could do the whole thing in a megachunk BD package, that would be different. Vanilla, Z, A, AA and X? That would be so, so awesome.

Amazing series; It wasn't always funny because they had the nerve to be profound... though good luck explaining how that happened.

*Looks at painted cel of mint hanging on wall*

Sorry but Galaxy Angel was among the very last cel painted series and definitely not digipaint. It DID however have some not so great cg elements that wont look too clean on BD.

Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
I'm very glad that rightstuf is now releasing stuff on Blu-ray (I can't wait for the day when DVD-only releases are a thing of the past), and I'll definitely be picking up a number of these shows as long as they get Blu-ray releases (I rarely buy anything on DVD anymore; it's just not worth it). It will be interesting to see if they ever license and release Wing, Seed, Destiny, and/or 00 on Blu-ray like some are suggesting. That would be awesome (though I don't know what would happen with the dub for Seed and Destiny given that the Blu-rays in Japan edited stuff such that they had to do more dubbing, and the English dub therefore won't match), but in the meantime, it's great to see many of these other series getting releases.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:57 am Reply with quote
oh lordy I'm gonna be buying from right stuff all freaking year not only are there a bunch of gundam titles to add to the collection but galaxy angel as well, christ my wallet will hate me so but I'll be geeking out the whole time
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I really wish we'd just DVD die already.

Some people still like it and many older shows in Japan have no bluray release. I would like to own the rest of Lupin III and the older specials on DVD, thank you. Don't like it then don't buy it.

Also, Shawne said during the panel that if a Bluray for a show does not exist in Japan he can't make one happen. So tough nuts, DVD is here to stay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping that Right Stuf fixes the missing audio in episode 3 of War in the Pocket's dub.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
These are good announcements, but I'm still anticipating blu-ray news for Utena.

According to their Facebook page for the panel, they did say something about Utena BD news. Really curious what. :/

Also ignored by the article is that Big Windup! Season 2 DVD is apparently slated for Fall 2016. -Which also never received a release here, like Reconguista in G.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Triltaison wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:
These are good announcements, but I'm still anticipating blu-ray news for Utena.

According to their Facebook page for the panel, they did say something about Utena BD news. Really curious what. :/

Also ignored by the article is that Big Windup! Season 2 DVD is apparently slated for Fall 2016. -Which also never received a release here, like Reconguista in G.

All they said about Utena is that the Bluray release is still being planned. Many fans were concerned about it being cancelled due to lack of updates.

And Big Windup 2 is old news, it was licensed at last year's AX, which is why the article isn't mentioning it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3