• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Little Witch Academia TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
I must be missing something, because it sounds like, for the first time ever, we have an honest-to-God Netflix original anime series. Unless I didn't catch the news elsewhere, this series does not have a Japanese TV station decided on (yet), unlike Knights of Sidonia or Ajin. And if that's correct, than that means there's no "waiting for the season to be over," and they're going to dump all the episodes at once and Netlfix will be the only place you can watch it, minus pirating.

Again, could be wrong, maybe it will air on Japanese TV. But I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

That doesn't really make it more of a Netflix Original than anything else they've streamed. It's a Trigger original, first and foremost. And its marketing as a "TV anime", makes it seem pretty likely that it will air on TV. The "30 minute" thing is still weird wording though.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Worded elsewhere they said 30-minute episodes.

Watch Kuromukuro 1-13 and see how this could be bad. I expect this to be 12 or 13 episodes, but they split Kuromukuro at an awful spot just to force people to binge half a season. They really need to do weekly episodes if they want to get new subscribers with this.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Can they at least simulcast the series instead of waiting for all of it to air before throwing it out in one go?

If you're in Japan, probably. If you're elsewhere, not likely.

It should be pointed out in the case of Kuromukuro, they didn't wait for it to finish, they only waited for the first cour to be complete. (The series is continuing into this season, and is slated for 26 episodes).

Selipse wrote:
This reminded me that Kuromukuro came out today there and that ironically I won't have to wait for fansubs at least for the newest episode.

So I went there and noticed that it doesn't have a dub. What? Why? I mean, that's the only point of Netflix having an anime.

I suspected that might be the case when the preview they posted only a few days ago was subtitled rather than dubbed.

My theory is since they streamed it weekly as it aired in Japan*, they compared the number of views of it to other anime they had streamed, and decided the dub was not worthwhile.

As they posted the first cour rather than waiting for the entire series to complete, they could change their decision by the time the second cour completes if international streaming views are higher than they currently project.

*See animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-16/netflix-japan-streams-kuromukuro-anime-with-english-subtitles/.101138
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
That doesn't really make it more of a Netflix Original than anything else they've streamed. It's a Trigger original, first and foremost.

This is like saying South Park isn't a Comedy Central original, but a South Park Digital Studios original.

(I cycled through multiple shows before settling on one I was confident anime nerds have at least heard of; it was either this or Lost)
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Yes!!! Thank you Netflix! If they dub it then when I show my nieces and nephew it I can tell them they're making a TV show out of it!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Emperor Fred wrote:
I am not a streamer or a binge-watcher and I have a fair amount of patience. So my question is...

It's been my experience that any worthwhile Netflix-original series will eventually get a DVD/Blu-Ray release, and I would imagine an anime series with such fan support and recognition would certainly qualify as such, so... whom shall I expect to release this series in a year/year-and-a-half's time?

I think we'll know the answer to this once we finally see who will hopefully be handling a physical set for Ajin, and see if it's Sentai again.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
That doesn't really make it more of a Netflix Original than anything else they've streamed. It's a Trigger original, first and foremost.

This is like saying South Park isn't a Comedy Central original, but a South Park Digital Studios original.

That's not the same at all. Anime production is a totally different beast and the television networks put up little to no money for most series.

Anime Originals are almost always called by the Animation studio behind their production, or the most prominent company on the production committee, like Aniplex.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
I knew that Netflix had to be behind this since they already have both of the original Little Witch Academia movies and I really don't mind waiting for them to stream all of the episodes at once especially since there be in English and I've already waited this long. Very Happy
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:46 am Reply with quote
Great! I don't mind waiting till its done to watch it all, so it's not a big deal.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:07 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Can they at least simulcast the series instead of waiting for all of it to air before throwing it out in one go?

If you're in Japan, probably. If you're elsewhere, not likely.

It should be pointed out in the case of Kuromukuro, they didn't wait for it to finish, they only waited for the first cour to be complete. (The series is continuing into this season, and is slated for 26 episodes).

Selipse wrote:
This reminded me that Kuromukuro came out today there and that ironically I won't have to wait for fansubs at least for the newest episode.

So I went there and noticed that it doesn't have a dub. What? Why? I mean, that's the only point of Netflix having an anime.

I suspected that might be the case when the preview they posted only a few days ago was subtitled rather than dubbed.

My theory is since they streamed it weekly as it aired in Japan*, they compared the number of views of it to other anime they had streamed, and decided the dub was not worthwhile.

As they posted the first cour rather than waiting for the entire series to complete, they could change their decision by the time the second cour completes if international streaming views are higher than they currently project.

*See animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-04-16/netflix-japan-streams-kuromukuro-anime-with-english-subtitles/.101138

Netflix only released (so far) dub's of a complete season (1 or 2 cours). So I dont think your theory is correct. Dubbing takes a lot of effort and time. Its not an Funimation with an in house dubbing studio and in house VA. Durarara by Aniplex USA (they also outsource their dubs) also got released after like 6-9 episodes in weekly. They outsource their dubs. You really cant say yet if it will get a dub or not. Besides that Netflix dubs it in multi languages. It's just the way Netflix is using this release as a tryout what works best for them, release it as a complete series at once or release it in 2 bunch course, weekly or whatever.. I mean they just enterd the anime business as well.
MexRAGE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
Cool, this means it will have Latinamerican dub. Watching new anime with latinamerican dubs is almost impossible outside of netflix, it rarely get broadcast on tv anymore, and americans companies such as funimation always license anime in latinamerica and then region block us from all of their services, just so crunchyroll or netflix who do gives service to latinamerica can't get those at all.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:01 am Reply with quote

Is Netflix one of the main sponsors of the show? If so, than it could be called a Netflix Original. Else, it's just a marketing campaign that by "Netflix Original" they mean "we are the first to have this."
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:

Netflix only released (so far) dub's of a complete season (1 or 2 cours). So I dont think your theory is correct. Dubbing takes a lot of effort and time. Its not an Funimation with an in house dubbing studio and in house VA. Durarara by Aniplex USA (they also outsource their dubs) also got released after like 6-9 episodes in weekly. They outsource their dubs. You really cant say yet if it will get a dub or not.

Except for The Seven Deadly Sin, each of those was also released shortly after the series ended. For example, Knights of Sidonia was added on July 4, 2014, after ending on June 27 that same year in Japan. The second series was released on July 3, 2015, after ending June 26 that same year. Ajin was added April 12 of this year after ending on April 9.

In other words, if they wanted to have released it dubbed, they could have.

The one item that is inarguable is that it isn't dubbed, and at this point we don't know if it will be when the series is completed. Anyone wanting to watch Kuromukuro dubbed will simply have to wait and cross their fingers.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
Ugh.... And the anime distributor fragmentation continues. Amazon trying to get exclusives, Netflix getting this and with CrunchyRoll already being a big dog and FUNimation still selling their abomination of a portal. Is Viz still distributing primarily through Hulu? Cost is arc'ing up towards $50/month if you want to be CERTAIN to get access to any given show (assuming it is licensed). (-_-)
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:36 am Reply with quote
Hope this gets an American DVD/Blu release down the line for those of us without a Netflix subscription.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3